• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

111-120 Icknield Street, soon to be demolished

Hi Lyn.

No still the wrong direction, but no worries as this is a great image and one I had not seen before, i will import it into photoshop and stitch it back together again, do you know what the annoying thing is? I once found the image I was looking for in a mag but I just cannot remember which one .................

This image is of the same corner but is more of interest to the transport buffs methinks, thanks one again Lyn.

Ray

Apologies, the second image should not be there................

nice pics dibbs..and of family interest to me ....i didnt realise that hingeston was at the corner of ickneild...must consult me maps more often....lol...glad you like the pic even if its not the one you are after...i will keep searching...dont surpose you can remember what mag you saw it in can you....i know what its like when you cant find what you want..you may well know that i have been searching for a pic of the vine inn villa st for 2 years now without success but i had some news this morning and i am keeping everything crossed that i may have struck lucky....dont worrry the whole forum will know if i have...lol

lyn

first image is outside The Royal Mint Pub second image is looking down Hingestion Street from the bottom of Crabtree road

Last edited:
Loved the pics of Hingeston St Lyn, I used to go to the little shop on the right behind the tram for Ice cream every Sunday. I took a pound note down there once, and dropped the 10 shilling note I had in the change. Ran all the way back and found it floating in a puddle.

Loved the pics of Hingeston St Lyn, I used to go to the little shop on the right behind the tram for Ice cream every Sunday. I took a pound note down there once, and dropped the 10 shilling note I had in the change. Ran all the way back and found it floating in a puddle.

Sorry Dibs, I see it was you that put the pics of Hingeston St on not Lyn. Never mind they are great photo's. The number 96 bus used to run down there and straight into town, via Warstone Lane.

maggs..you were lucky to find that 10 bob note..hope you still managed to eat yer ice cream in the panic...lol...

lyn

Lyn I would have been murdered of I hadn't found the ten bob. I couldn't enjoy that Eldorado Ice cream until I got that money back. I didn't realize until I got back home and was told there should have been a ten bob note in the change that I had lost it. That was a hell of a lot of money in 1952. I was a babby and they shouted at me boo hoo.

like i said maggs its a good job you found it..if you hadnt it most likely would have put you off ice cream for life...lol..

Lyn

Yes Ray, thank you they are the shops. I shall keep those. Fortunately, I didn't lose any more money going down there for ice cream. What year would that pic be?

maggs the date is on the caption...its 1958

great pic dibbs..ive saved it as well...cheers

lyn

There's a picture of these buildings in today's Sun and it mentions that someone has put together a calender highlighting the effects of the credit crunch. Which credit crunch i ask myself as these buildings as has been stated on this thread have been in this condition for at least a decade. This is typical of the Sun who never seem to research their stories etc.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2694861/Credit-crunch-calendar-is-a-hit.html

Now I know why I don't buy newspapers......they are full of lies and rubbish!!

never get the facts straight do they???..those building have been like that for over a decade....

lyn...

Papers will just drag out of the archives or from a photo agency a pic that suits the story.

Last night the BBC or ITV, news did similar showing an Adams shop as if it closed down recently not 12 months back.

never get the facts straight do they???..those building have been like that for over a decade....

lyn...

They have indeed Lyn, it is all so sad. These were the shops I grew up with. I have never bought a daily newspaper in my life and certainly don't intend to start now. You just can't believe anything they say.

maggs..i can remember going into them with our mom on the way to the spring hill shops...and using the toilets just by there...by the way i like yer avitar....

lyn

Small world Lyn,

Do you know we used to call the area where those toilet's were 'The gardens'. I used those public phone boxes a few times too. It was a really cosy area to shop, not much you couldn't buy down there was there?

When I first came to Birmingham aged 6yrs in 1953, I lived with my Aunt over a laundry between New Spring Street and Hingestion Street right opposite the public toilets.
I wonder if any photos exist of those shops.

hi bango ;
was you living next to a big grocers shop on the corner of hingestion street it could have been a shop called wrentham
but i must admit i am struggling to recall the shop name prior to that laundry shop as you say you was living dirctly opersite he toilets
and i can clearl say it was the mint pub and the cafe that was directly facin the toilets [ incidently these toilets are up for sale ; wel at least until a couple of weeks ago ncidently the cafe is called the volcano ;
i have to tel myself now stop as i have mentaly focused on new spring street which i can vizulized just along from that corner an old school friend frank bartlem
lived closed to the corner and now i recall the laundry but getting back tou your request there may be a possiblity that some member may be able to produce a couple of shots for you as the site was hacked best ishesastonin;

Hi Astonian, I can't recall any names at all. Yes, I remember the Mint pub, which was on the other corner of Hingestion St and further along a cafe (where the No8 bus crews stopped). We had to get to the flat above the laundry the back way via an entry in New Spring St. On the other side of this entry was a small polishing factory which I swear, if I close my eyes, I can still smell that pong!

I assume by your pen name you are from Aston. I also lived in Aston until 1967.

Hello Banjo, The laundry and dry cleaners I remember there was Sketchley. I used to walk by it every day to school. It was next door to Gay's the toy shop.

Hi Maggs, Thanks for that memory. Would that have been Ellen St because I went to the Infants school there.

Hi

I lived in Icknield Street from about 1967, the number was 207, it was opposite The Royal mint, in a shop. Before I lived at 35 Hingeston Street, I remember Wrensons shop on the corner because there was a street light outside it. Opposite was Mary Paste's The friutter's, to the right was Cashes cold meats etc..and If you crossed back to the other corner it was a factory that I can only remember as closed.
Back to Icknield Street where the number 8 bus clocked in, there was a cafe were the bus conductors/drivers filled up their mess tins with tea. Just further along away from the Mint pub was a clothes shop called Groves. Then there was a couple of second hand shops, and next to them was Griffithes an electrical shop, the next shop along was Dennises the newspaper shop, Icknield Terrace was next then an Off License. The next part belonged to The Royal Mint Factory. Going back up Icknield Street passed the Volcano, I remember a toy shop called Gayes.
If I can help with any other enquires please contact me.

The captain

Last edited:
Hi
I have put some pictures up that show a lot of Icknield Street absolutely cracking, but it also shows my e-mails and eveything, so I have had to delete it.
How is the best way to get these photo's back up.

The Captain

Hi
Pictures of Brookfields that I thought would of contained Icknield Street as well, unfortunately it doesn't and would be off topic so I have cancelled them.
Sorry.

Back