• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

10 Sutton Street, Aston - circa 1913/1914

williamjukes

master brummie
Do any members know if there are any residential directories which would show who was living at the above address in 1913 and 1914.

Thank you in anticipation.

William.

On 1911 census the house was empty - I only looked to see if either of the above were listed as living there.

Thank you MWS and Janice for your very speedy responses.

Would female residents be listed or just males.

I am specifically looking for 2 females Mrs Emma Preston and her daughter Miss Emma Preston (or possibly known as Mrs Emma Davis).

Arthur Preston son of Emma Preston senior and brother of the younger Emma emigrated to America in 1907. He returns home to visit and travels between Liverpool and Boston Massachusetts in 1913 and 1914 and he names both Emmas (on the passenger list) as being his next of kin (in 1913 and 1914) living at 10 Sutton Street.

The reason for my request is that I am searching for the whereabouts of the younger Emma and therefore looking for any clues to help ascertain when she was still alive.

William.

According to the 1912 rates book George Enoch Stanley left 10 Sutton Street in June

1913 rates gives Alfred Clarke but as he is also listed at 62 I think he is the one paying the rates and not necessarily living there
1643979412775.png

I am specifically looking for 2 females Mrs Emma Preston and her daughter Miss Emma Preston (or possibly known as Mrs Emma Davis).

Arthur Preston son of Emma Preston senior and brother of the younger Emma emigrated to America in 1907. He returns home to visit and travels between Liverpool and Boston Massachusetts in 1913 and 1914 and he names both Emmas (on the passenger list) as being his next of kin (in 1913 and 1914) living at 10 Sutton Street.
Harder to trace women as they are less likely to appear on erolls in 1913

According to the 1912 rates book George Enoch Stanley left 10 Sutton Street in June

1913 rates gives Alfred Clarke but as he is also listed at 62 I think he is the one paying the rates and not necessarily living there
View attachment 167004

Janice thank you so much for that information.

That may be very useful in as much as Alfred Clarke was the husband to Selina (Preston) - daughter of Mrs Emma Preston and sister to the younger Emma.

William.

The reason for my request is that I am searching for the whereabouts of the younger Emma and therefore looking for any clues to help ascertain when she was still alive.

I see on the 1891 census that George and Emma are not at the same address. Also it appears that George remarries in 1898 and then moves to Manchester.

So does that imply that Emma has died or something more complicated?

Emma is listed as Emily on the baptisms of her 2 daughters (not uncommon) and her daughter, Maud Alberta marries in 1914 but can't see her on 1901 or 1911 census. So could that imply that Emma had also remarried (possibly unofficially) and they are listed under a different name?

His name was George William Davis b1864, son of George Joseph and Eliza. With parents in 1891 and in Manchester in 1911 I think.

I see on the 1891 census that George and Emma are not at the same address. Also it appears that George remarries in 1898 and then moves to Manchester.

So does that imply that Emma has died or something more complicated?

Emma is listed as Emily on the baptisms of her 2 daughters (not uncommon) and her daughter, Maud Alberta marries in 1914 but can't see her on 1901 or 1911 census. So could that imply that Emma had also remarried (possibly unofficially) and they are listed under a different name?
MWS Emma (Emily) and George did separate and are living with their respective family in 1891 and yes George remarries in 1898.

I have only found the birth of 1 daughter - Maud Alberta who marries in 1914.

1901 census on Ancestry shows Emma Preston aged 67 occupation ?press worker - born Aston, living at 82 Burlington Street with daughter Maud Alberta (and various lodgers).

I did initially think this was Emma Preston (senior) who had taken Maud Alberta under her wing and referred to her as daughter, although Emma was born in Dawley, Shropshire not Aston.

However - on the same 1901 census on FMP it shows Emma Preston as being aged 34 years - so this led me to believe this was actually Maud Albertas mother who had reverted back to her maiden name.

Apart from the mention in 1907 where Arthur Preston names his sister as next of kin I have been unable to find any further records for Emma Preston/Davis.

I cannot be 100% sure she is the same person on the 1901 census, I have not been able to find her in 1911 nor can I find a death or remarriage for her, as I am unsure if I am looking for Emma/Emily Preston or Davis.

William.

I expect you know that in 1911 Emma (senior) is living with daughter Selina. That is when she is listed as being 67,

1891 census has Maud as grandaughter living with Emma (senior) and Emma Preston aged 24 who I assume is Emma Davis

Last edited:
Maud Alberta (young Emma Prestons daughter) marries Joseph Langdell in 1914 (after giving birth to 3 children) - she uses the name Maud Alberta Davis on the marriage record.

The 1911 census for Maud and Joseph Langdell actually shows them and the children under the name of Davis - living at Geach Street.

I have no idea why they did not marry before 1914.

When (young) Emma Prestons husband remarries in 1898 to Sarah Ann Robins he is shown as "Bachelor".

William.

The other daughter is Emily Gertrude May, born, baptised and died in 1886.

Interestingly there are 2 Davis/Preston sons - Charles Henry 1902 and John Ernest 1905 - registered Aston. No other obvious Davis/Preston marriage, so could they possibly be Emma's children with a new 'husband' or Emma's with a random man/men?

The other daughter is Emily Gertrude May, born, baptised and died in 1886.

Interestingly there are 2 Davis/Preston sons - Charles Henry 1902 and John Ernest 1905 - registered Aston. No other obvious Davis/Preston marriage, so could they possibly be Emma's children with a new 'husband' or Emma's with a random man/men?

Emily Gertrudes father - George Davis was a Jeweller - whereas Mauds father George William Davis was a Tool Maker - which is stated on marriage and census registers.

I will certainly follow up the information of the 2 Davis/Preston male children thank you.

William.

I have attached (or hope I have) part of the 1901 census which shows age of Emma Preston as 34 years old (not 64 years old. So this must surely prove this is Mauds mother (and not grandmother).

William.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1c5b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1c5b.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 2
Emily Gertrudes father - George Davis was a Jeweller - whereas Mauds father George William Davis was a Tool Maker - which is stated on marriage and census registers.

A bit of a coincidence then - Davis/Preston registration, baptised Aston-Brook and parents listed as George William & Emily (exactly as Maud).

I have attached (or hope I have) part of the 1901 census which shows age of Emma Preston as 34 years old (not 64 years old. So this must surely prove this is Mauds mother (and not grandmother).

William.
I am not convinced this says 34 - I thought the error was in putting Maud as daughter.

I am not convinced this says 34 - I thought the error was in putting Maud as daughter.

Janice, If the age of 34 years old is correct (as per FMP) then the Emma Preston on the census is Mauds mother.

If the age of 64 years old is correct (as per Ancestry) then Emma Preston on the census has to be Mauds grandmother).

William.

A bit of a coincidence then - Davis/Preston registration, baptised Aston-Brook and parents listed as George William & Emily (exactly as Maud).

MWS - my apologies re birth for Emily Gertrude - this is the baptism (see attached) I looked at when i said George was a jeweller.

William

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1c5e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1c5e.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Janice, If the age of 34 years old is correct (as per FMP) then the Emma Preston on the census is Mauds mother.

If the age of 64 years old is correct (as per Ancestry) then Emma Preston on the census has to be Mauds grandmother).

William.
Aah - I see what you mean. Can't access FMP = the only thing we know for sure then is that is the right Maud.

Oh dear, it would appear young Emma Preston/Davis was not the young woman i thought she was.

I have just found a newspaper article (1894) whereby Emma Davis was arrested for being drunk and a prostitute and behaving in an indecent manner. She was living at 82 Burlington Street, which is the address Emma Preston was living at in 1901.

Am i allowed to post the newspaper article.

William.

Back