• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

Salford House Erdington Birmingham

I was very interested to read about Salford house. The R H Clive mentioned was my gt gt uncle. And Henry Clive was his father. Henry made his fortune by being a gun barrel borer. He left Salford house, leaving Robert Clive to live there, and Henry went to live at Slade house. This house is now...
  2. S

Birmingham Home for Lost and Starving Dogs

Ellbrown thanks for the info. Always wondered what it was, pity it can't be taken over by somebody and done up a bit. edd
  3. S

Birmingham Home for Lost and Starving Dogs

Hi ellbrown, just a quickly, in the last photo you took, there is a tower of some sort attached to a building. There used to be a business in that building selling tyres and washing cars. My question is, do you know what that building was originally? We used to get our vans washed there all the...
  4. S

E.Mails

Hi geff What I usually do if I have a long message to send is, I type the message in word and if need be I then can save it as a word document, then when finished I copy and paste it into the blank email page, add the recipient and send it. Ed
  5. S

Bhf christmas meet 2012

Astoness, I have to work every other weekend. I'm trying to get somebody to swop with me so I can go. Please how much are the badges? Ed
  6. S

pawn shop in Newtown row

Hi all Thanks for the help. Topsy, biddles was another pawn shop but not the one I'm thinking of. Astonian, the isolation of the shop rings a bell, but I'm not sure. I think mikejee may have it with the entry from Kelly's. Thanks again for all your help Edd
  7. S

pawn shop in Newtown row

Hi all Does anybody know of a pawn shop on or around Newtown row? I can remember it as a child, it was run by a little old lady named Mrs Carter. Mom used to call her Etty (or Hetty). I went there either with my mom or nan around the early 1960's Any info would be really appreciated. Eddie
  8. S

Royal Oak Cheapside

Mikejee thanks for the permission to print the photos for my mate, i think he only wants A4 size prints and they have come out very well. I think i can say confidently that he will send you a very big thank you, and if you're ever passing what is now Ratchet and Spanner, pop your head in and...
  9. S

Holy Trinity Church Bordesley.

I havn't a clue, Love to know though. And if its true about getting turned down as a nightclub. Ive come past there some nights, and the outside of the building is lit up from the floor upwards. Gotta get off here now, have to take in laws to the cemetary, i'll look back here later and see if...
  10. S

Astoness, here's the church, is it the one youre thinking about?
  11. S

dont think so, its past the iron bridge on the right, just before the traffic island. I have a picture of it on my phone, i'll try to upload it, bear with me i've never done this before.
  12. S

Could you help me with a query of my own? I'm interested in a disused church at the top of Bordesley middleway. Very close to the now derelict Brewer and Baker pub. It looks like something out of a horror film. Its a huge building, and i have been told its owned by somebody who wanted to turn it...
  13. S

Royal Oak Cheapside

Astoness, thank you so much for the photos of the pub. My mate is now gonna print the photos, frame them and put them up in the office so customers can see what stood there before the garage. edd
  14. S

Jails Gaols Prisons

Thanks Phil, I did wonder whether it was, I've never heard of a prison in brum other than winson green. I can't wait to show my mate the photos of the pub. I knew somebody on here would help. Ed
  15. S

Royal Oak Cheapside

Astoness, thanks for replying so quick. And Phil, thanks for the pic. Should see my mate sometime today, I'll show him. Edd
  16. S

Jail On Bradford Street

Hi all, I was told the Sander and Kang building on Bradford street was once a jail, and the bricked up arches that I've always assumed were windows, were once open cells where all the dirt and dust from the road was blown into the faces of the prisoners. Does anyone know anything about this...
  17. S

Jails Gaols Prisons

Hi all, I've heard that the Sander and Kang building on Bradford street was once a jail, and the bricked up arches that I've always assumed were windows, were once open cells where all the dirt and dust from the road was blown into the faces of the prisoners. Does anyone know anything about...
  18. S

Royal Oak Cheapside

Hi all, The pub I'm interested in was on the corner of Cheapside and Rea street. It's now a garage called Ratchet and Spanner, where my mate works. A few days ago an elderly gent walked into the garage asking if he could look around. He used to use the pub when he was a young man, and he wanted...
  19. S

Birmingham in 1960s

Hi All, No that photo isn't the match seller, Topsy you have got it right on the button, i forgot that he used to sway from side to side. The matches were in his hand close to his face. I remember Biddles. What i can remember of Etty Carters pawnshop is it was all wood panelled and as you went...
  20. S

Birmingham in 1960s

I'm glad i'm not the only one who remembers him. Be nice if more could be found out about him.
Back