• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Oak Cheapside

samurai

proper brummie kid
Hi all,
The pub I'm interested in was on the corner of Cheapside and Rea street. It's now a garage called Ratchet and Spanner, where my mate works. A few days ago an elderly gent walked into the garage asking if he could look around. He used to use the pub when he was a young man, and he wanted to see if anything remained. He told them that the pub was haunted, and asked if anything strange ever happened. My mate wants to find out more about the pub but he can't remember what it's called, can anyone help?
Sorry to babble on, but local history fascinates me, I just can't get enough of it.
Thanks for any help you can give
Eddie

hi eddie..well obviously the pub on the corner or rea and cheapside has long been demolished..will have a look in my kellys directories to see if i can find out what pub once stood there as someone may have a pic of it..

lyn

looks to be the royal oak that was on the corner of cheapside and rea st eddie...
but maybe if mike spots this he could confirm that for you as he is far better with the kellys than i am

lyn

yes it was the royal oak and some pics of it were posted on the forum back in 2009..unfortunately we lost them when the forum was hacked....have contacted a member who may have saved them so hopefully we can re post them.

lyn

The Royal Oak public House 31 Cheapside.

Attachments

• Cheapside Royal Oak Rea St .jpg
    Cheapside Royal Oak Rea St .jpg
    112 KB · Views: 9
Astoness, thanks for replying so quick. And Phil, thanks for the pic. Should see my mate sometime today, I'll show him.
Edd

Astoness, thank you so much for the photos of the pub. My mate is now gonna print the photos, frame them and put them up in the office so customers can see what stood there before the garage.
edd

hi edd how great to know that those photos will be framed and hung in the now garage...we must also say thanks again to our map expert mikejee who actually took the photos and passed them onto me for posting..

lyn

Where are my manners? Of course thank you to Mikejee for the photos in the first place. Do you think he'll not mind somebody printing his photos? .....

edd knowing mike as i do i dont think he will mind in the least if you print off those pics...

lyn

Ed
Afraid I did not take any of Newtown row. No problem with the pictures of the royal Oak. If your friend is going to print largish prints, then I could let you have a larger file for the pics. It wouldn't show any more detail . but would probably be slightly clearer image. If you do want the larger file , then send me an IM with your e-mail address, and I'll let you have it,

Mikejee thanks for the permission to print the photos for my mate, i think he only wants A4 size prints and they have come out very well. I think i can say confidently that he will send you a very big thank you, and if you're ever passing what is now Ratchet and Spanner, pop your head in and tell Rob that you was the one that sent the photos and he will thank you personally
Edd

Back