• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. The Milky Bar Kid

TOWER ROAD ASTON B6

This post may explain a childhood memory, as I seem to remember 'helping' my nan Sheargold (110 Tower road) when she was doing her pin money work. Nan used to assemble brass document fasteners at home and they may have been from this factory, they consisted 2 parts, a small circular gear shaped...
  2. The Milky Bar Kid

Mansfield Road Aston

Hi, I think I've finally worked out the location of my parents first house in Aston (see attached). As I think I've mentioned we always referred to the gully off Mansfield Road, which was basically a wide dirt track down to about 10 terraced houses in groups of 5 which faced each other. If I...
  3. The Milky Bar Kid

Mansfield Road Aston

I know Dad worked for Harry Lewis plumbers and for a couple of years we went to Wales on our hols in the Bedford plumbers van. Dad used to sweep it out and lay down boards so that we sleep in it. Don't think we ever stayed at a proper camp site, it was always a farmers field with stand pipe...
  4. The Milky Bar Kid

Mansfield Road Aston

Hi Robert, thank you so much for the pictures of mum and dad, I have forwarded them to my brothers Michael and Robert. It was interesting to find out Nan Dodson's actual address in Erdington too before she moved to Shard End and not far from were we used to live in Kingshurst (we used to visit...
  5. The Milky Bar Kid

Where did you live

Not John Sheargold (if you are referring to the 1 and bit year old me) sorry, I think we were just visiting nan and grandad Sheargold that day.
  6. The Milky Bar Kid

Where did you live

I haven't posted for ages, but I thought the attached images may be of interest at least in terms of small part of Brum history (circa 1960) Image 01: Me and my Nan in Tower Road (Violet Sheargold who had a novelty shop at the top of Potters hill) Image 02: Me again in Tower Road, no idea who...
  7. The Milky Bar Kid

Mansfield Road Aston

They would have, their name William Dodson and Dorothy Margaret Dodson - married May/June 1958 (nee Sheargold)
  8. The Milky Bar Kid

Mansfield Road Aston

I was born on February 1959 and lived at my grandmothers house (Mrs Sheargold - she had a shop that sold novelties on Potters Hill) in Tower Road until we moved to Mansfield Road around 1962/63
  9. The Milky Bar Kid

Mansfield Road Aston

Hi Janice Just been looking at some maps online based on your information and my memory was jogged/kick started .. We actually lived at the back of Mansfield Road. I remember having a great time chasing around the alleyways. I recall having a plastic Werewolf mask (I actually wanted a Herman...
  10. The Milky Bar Kid

Mansfield Road Aston

Hello all I am trying to find out the location of my first childhood home. Asking a lot but it was in Aston not far from Tower Road (possibly 3 - 5 streets away) I always knew at as the gully, as the houses (terraced) where set back from the road and accessed from an short unsurfaced road. I...
Back