• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where did you live

Hi Lyn all I can remember is if you came out of halfway house turn to the left walk to the end of the road turn left as you look down the road there was a bridge that went from one building to a building on the opposite side I don't know the name of the road I think it was hockey Brook I think the bus garage was just around the corner that's all l remember.
Could have been Great King St, Lucas's...
Dave A

Can you tell me if there was a greengrocers shop in Cattells Grove? Cheers
there was 4 shops selling food stuffs in the grove one was mrs butchers, and one half way down across from the woodman pub the other was ships on the corner of mount st.and another corner of cramore st.

1/92 Park road, Hockley 1952
This is where I lived untill I was 17yrs old in 1969 and then we moved to South Yardley .

Hi we lived in upperwebsta street in the sixties number 13 by the woodyard my father's name was Ron hurst my mother's name margret hurst I'm the eldist son my name is Ron hurst after my dad my brother fred hurst and sister Janet hurst. Dose anybody have photos of upperwebster street or the bomepeck we used to play on bomepeck sliding down the hill on old car bonets I remember June write lived on opposite side of the road and so did the packems and Susan howels miss morley lived next door she told the police we shot her window out with a pellet gun so a police man came and he said where's the pellet gun my mother showed him the gun he said have you got an axe mom gave him the axe and he choped it up in front of us it didn't even work the good old days.
V

Born 1931, at parents fish & chip shop, 253 Farm st Hockley.
1940, 1 back 25 Burbury st.
1949, Married. 70 Burnham Rd,
1956 bought corner shop.70, Taylor Rd Kings Heath.
1960 moved to Blackpool. Wembley Hotel Promenade.
1982. To present Nessel St Riverside California USA.
My family owned this shop I think I have some documents from what I think is the sale in 1902

Hi Everyone
Talking of memories I was born 1945 at 227 Lichfield road, mom always said it was a flat above a laundry, I have google it but I thing its a garage. I have no memory of this as at 2 1/2 we moved to Duxford Road Great Barr.
I have found it very interesting looking at the photos of the trams and buses, can anyone one remember "pegging the clock" my thoughts are somewhere on the outer circle No 11 doing this I think at Handsworth?

Born in 1952 at the Sorrento, Moseley, my parents and I lived with my grand parents for a while in Pollard Road, Acocks Green before moving to a Flat in Church Road, Moseley. When I was about three my father bought a house 2/35 Auckland Road, Sparkbrook where we lived for 10 years, and then onto Douglas Road, Acocks Green. I got married to a welsh girl and went to live on the South Wales coast for the last 40 years. My parents later moved to Baldwins Lane, Hall Green where they spent their remaining years.

Hi I was born at the Sorrento maternity hospital in October 1959 and lived in 167 Stoney Lane where my father had his barber shop called Nick and also Nicholas. I was at the Anderton Park primary school . I have lovely memories of those days, many friends and very good teachers Mrs Busby, Miss Healy Mr Sloan. Been living there till 1969 then moving to Italy as my parents were Italian. I live in central Italy I love it but a piece of my heart remains in Birmingham.

thanks john i have had that one for some years now...also found some of paddington st before demo which are are the paddington st thread

lyn

Here goes...
Born in Holle Street Hospital, Dublin 1955
Tower Road, Aston 1955
- Educated at Prince Albert Primary School, Aston
- Gower Boys School, Lozells
Wandsworth Road, Kingstanding 1971
Commuted to:
- Gower Boys School, Lozells
- Holte Comprehensive School, Lozells
Yew Tree Road, Aston 1973
Holte Road, Aston 1976
Pargeter Road, Bearwood 1979
Black Patch, Winson Green 1982
Thimblemill Road, Bearwood 1984
Nawton, Hamilton, New Zealand 1995
Heron Close, St.-Leonards-On-Sea 1999
Hamilton, New Zealand 2000.

Last edited:
I haven't posted for ages, but I thought the attached images may be of interest at least in terms of small part of Brum history (circa 1960)

Image 01: Me and my Nan in Tower Road (Violet Sheargold who had a novelty shop at the top of Potters hill)

Image 02: Me again in Tower Road, no idea who the child is that I'm attempting to push along

View attachment 156915
View attachment 156916
Hi Milky Bar Kid

I knew John Sheargold when I lived in Tower Road. I also frequented the novelty shop for my supply of stink bombs and itching powder not to mention the fake doggy doos.

We hung around for a while but lost contact soon afterwards. And then there was Christopher Webb who lived just around the corner from your nan's shop on Tower Road.

I can't make my mind up if you are a young John Sheargold or not... (your photo).
John and I were about the same age so if you are John; then that is definitely not me on the dog mobile.

John.

Last edited:
hi milkybar kid...great way to bounce back onto the forum...what wonderful photos you have posted...have to say i reckon you are trying to push the older lad off your little push along lol...many thanks for sharing keep them coming if you have anymore...i get this feeling that the older lad may just turn up on here one day...fingers crossed

lyn

Hi Milky Bar Kid

I knew John Sheargold when I lived in Tower Road. I also frequented the novelty shop for my supply of stink bombs and itching powder not to mention the fake doggy does.

We hung around for a while but lost contact soon afterwards. And then there was Christopher Webb who lived just around the corner from your nan's shop on Tower Road.

I can't make my mind up if you are a young John Sheargold or not... (your photo).
John and I were about the same age so if you are John; then that is definitely not me on the dog mobile.

John.
Not John Sheargold (if you are referring to the 1 and bit year old me) sorry, I think we were just visiting nan and grandad Sheargold that day.

Back