• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. X

Digbeth Town Hall

Hi Phil, do you know the source of the photograph?
  2. X

Digbeth Town Hall

Back in the 1970s I worked with an old boy who told me that as a young man before the war he had attended a British Union of Fascists meeting at Digbeth Civic Hall. He was young an impressionable and that vitriol and hatred he witnessed that night at that meeting had stayed with him all his...
  3. X

Birmingham Corporation bus history

Can anyone tell me the colour scheme used by Birmingham buses in the early 1930s. Looking at pictures from that time, it appears that rather than the familiar cream and navy, another colour was used for the upper panels, ie beneath the window line. It does look as thought cream or maybe white...
  4. X

John Wright & Co Ltd, Essex Works

Does anyone know if any employee records exist for John Wright / Radiation. My father, my grandfather, a great-uncle, and possibly my great-grandfather too, all worked in the electro-plating department at some time. I have a picture of my grandfather, Alfred Sheldon, apparently lecturing to...
  5. X

Sheldon Family Of Equestrians, Victorian Entertainers From B'ham

Thank you MWS. I must confess I had limited my searches to UK records. I will investigate those possibilities.
  6. X

White Swan, Snow Hill

John Sheldon went on to run the Coach and Horses pub in Snow Hill, which I thought might have been the White Swan renamed. He had a son, also called John, who may have been running either the Golden Cross or the Dolphin, or indeed both. Do we know where each of these pubs was in relation to the...
  7. X

Yes I've tried the British Newspaper Archive but drew a blank. Having said that, the search engine on their site is totally ineffective for anything other than the most basic of searches.
  8. X

On the night of the 1881 Census, a family of Sheldons, James, 48, born in Birmingham, his wife Caterline (sic) also born in B'ham, son Alfred, 13, born in Berlin, son Charles, 11, born in Lubeck, Germany, and daughter Frances, 6 months, born in Amsterdam, Holland, were in lodgings in Stoke upon...
  9. X

White Swan, Snow Hill

I'm seeking information on a more precise location for the White Swan public house in Snow Hill. I think it must have been very close to the station and may have changed its name at some point. In the 1850s it was a great meeting place for horse racing aficianados. John Sheldon, the then owner...
Back