• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

White Swan, Snow Hill

Xpresso

Brummie babby
I'm seeking information on a more precise location for the White Swan public house in Snow Hill. I think it must have been very close to the station and may have changed its name at some point. In the 1850s it was a great meeting place for horse racing aficianados. John Sheldon, the then owner, ran a betting operation which seems to have been hugely popular.

1849Advert.jpg

Xpresso
I think the pub could only have a meeting place in the very early 1850s, as it disappeared when Snow Hill station was built (which opened in 1852). It was at 130 Snow Hill, between Brittle St (which also disappeared) and Monmouth St (now Colmore Row). The numbers between those two streets were 127-145, so, although no very large scale maps of the area at that time are available, The pub can be placed approximately where the red dot is on this c1839 map.

map c 1839 showing approx position of white Horse, snow hill.jpg

I notice that in the 1849 Post Ofice directory there is a landlord named John Sheldon at the White Swan (above), the Golden Cross, 64 Snow hill and also the Dolphin, 131 Unett St. They may, of course, all be different people, though, if so, very possibly related

Welcome Xpresso. Interesting post, as I don't think we've explored much of that position, pre-Snow Hill station. Our focus seems to mostly have been on the later station. Feel pretty certain my ancestors would have used the Swan having businesses around Snow Hill. Viv.​

John Sheldon went on to run the Coach and Horses pub in Snow Hill, which I thought might have been the White Swan renamed. He had a son, also called John, who may have been running either the Golden Cross or the Dolphin, or indeed both. Do we know where each of these pubs was in relation to the station. John Sheldon was renowned for the racing sweepstakes he ran, in which, according to an obituary published in the Mercury of June 19, 1896, "often saw 20,000 shillings put in the sweep, and prizes of £500 were common".

Going back to the directory of 1849, the entry for the White Swan says John Sheldon, son , whereas the others say just John Sheldon.
In nov.1851 he announces that, because of t henew station he is moving to the Star wine & spirit vaults , dale end. (below). He is called junior here as well. The Golden Cross is shown on this map in yellow.

Birm..J.22.11.1851.jpg map c 1889 showing the position of the Golden Cross pub  snow hill.jpg

Back