• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. L

Whites Removals

There isn't very much actually but I have copied what there is about his time working for Whites Removals. I remember he would bring home wonderful presents, one time a beautiful doll's house, with all the miniature furniture and dolls etc. - toys that people who were much more 'well off' then...
  2. L

Whites Removals

I have stories from my father about working for Whites Removals in WW2 if you would be interested.
  3. L

Map Of W W2 Bombing

Thank you for your response. I did find the one I was thinking of on another website but it isn't very clear. I would really like it to be clearer so one could see the actual roads and names of. (attached) Evidently the red dots are incendiary bombs dropped. I remember as a child we...
  4. L

Map Of W W2 Bombing

I wonder if anyone can help with providing me with a copy of a map I had once which showed the site of all bombs which fell on Birmingham. Cannot remember if it was over a particular period or through the whole time of the war. It showed the street names and extended out as far as Kings...
  5. L

Co-op Shops At Bucklands End Lane, Castle Bromwich

Yes, thank you. Able to do what I usually do, with a bit of messing about ! I hope I can contributre to this site in some way because I have had help from people on here which I have been very grateful for. If anyone for example is researching FH for Aston / Twist / Hunt / Tysall all of...
  6. L

Thank you for your comments Vivienne. I am having a problem saving the photograph you kindly edited for me. Although I am saving as a jpg, which I would usually do, when I look in Picture it just shows as a blank outline. I would copy my old photos onto a usb stick and print off at Boots...
  7. L

Oh Wow ! Thats amazing - thank you so much ! I came on to the website to say 'do you think someone would?' and there it was already done for me. It looks to be about the time my father worked there and I can see the open shop front of the greengrocery at the end ! And here he is with...
  8. L

Many thanks for the photo - that's how I remember it ! We all went for the day as children to 'help' dad. Take outer leaves off cauliflowers, shine up the apples were two jobs I had. My brother also had the job of plucking chickens, and the turkeys at Christmas. Customers were not...
  9. L

I wonder if anyone has a photo of these shops around the time my father started to work there as Manager of the Greengrocery shop in 1949 / 1950 or perhaps later over the following 15 years ? I am re-doing my parents 50th anniversary book for the rest of the family (both parents now dead)...
  10. L

Lost Lidos

Can someone tell me where the Open air swimming pool was in Small Heath around 1930's. Was it in Small Heath park ? Are there any other photos of it ? When my father got married in 1935 the men went for a swim in the afternoon (Well said dad, it was something to do !) I think this might...
  11. L

Small heath

Many thanks for providing the photos of Whites and Thompsons and the advice about searching for others. I did have a really good photo of Thompsons, with the staff and some customers standing outside, showing the open displays of fruit and veg, a wonderful display including about 50 bunches of...
  12. L

Whites Removals

I am new to this site and am not sure how to post a query or question - so please re-direct me if this is not it ! I wonder if anyone has photographs of the following : Whites Removals in Oliver Street, Birmingham - their vans or premises - 1935 - 1945 time....... I am putting together a...
  13. L

Small heath

I am new to this site and am not sure how to post a query or question - so please re-direct me if this is not it ! I wonder if anyone has photographs of the following : Whites Removals in Oliver Street, Birmingham - their vans or premises - 1935 - 1945 time. Edit - there is now a separate...
  14. L

The meaning of (what sounds lile) 'oil-tot' ?

My mother used to say something which sounded like 'oil-tot', used for example in : 'Jimmy is in his oil-tot playing in that water'. So it meant something like a person really enjoying what they were doing. I have never heard it used by anyone else or anywhere else and have often wondered...
  15. L

Kettle family who married into Twist family, both of Birmingham

Thank you very much for the two posts in answer to my queries about sending a private message and attaching a document. I have (hopefully) sent a private message to macqueen and can then send direct what I have on Kettle's steel houses.
  16. L

I have had a play to see about sending a private message but didn't get far. Then tried to upload a file to attach with this, again didn't get far ! Not that clear or user friendly it seems ! I had saved a Word document with some information gleaned from searching online which I was...
  17. L

Where do you fit in to the Kettle FT then ? Or are you researching the steel houses for a different reason than FH ? I cannot say I have a lot of information on John Kettle, and I was told by someone that John Kettle could not have been related to 'my' Kettle family, but I have yet to prove...
  18. L

Anyone with Twist and Aston in their FT?

Well yes ! That is one thing that, for many years, made me unsure of the tale about William Twist and William Aston being one and the same person. Though I have different copies of the certs with different signatures. But someone on Roots website very kindly checked the original copies of...
  19. L

I have posted two entries under surnames A and T (for Aston and Twist) searching for information on my g.grandfather who was known as William Aston but it was then discovered some years ago, he had changed his name in 1868 from Twist, although I know believe he was Aston originally. However...
  20. L

Anyone with Twist and Aston in their FT?

Thank you for your encouragemnt - I appreciate it. It is so fascinating and i have discovered so much about the Twist family (and Kettles who married into the Twist family) over these past months, even though I have been doing researching on William (or trying to) for many years, off and...
Back