• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kettle family who married into Twist family, both of Birmingham

LaytonLily

knowlegable brummie
I have posted two entries under surnames A and T (for Aston and Twist) searching for information on my g.grandfather who was known as William Aston but it was then discovered some years ago, he had changed his name in 1868 from Twist, although I know believe he was Aston originally.

However the reason for posting under K is that I have lots of information on the Kettle family in Birmingham -two of them married into the Twist family - going back to early 1700's so if anyone has them in their FT I would be happy to share this information

I have posted two entries under surnames A and T (for Aston and Twist) searching for information on my g.grandfather who was known as William Aston but it was then discovered some years ago, he had changed his name in 1868 from Twist, although I know believe he was Aston originally.

However the reason for posting under K is that I have lots of information on the Kettle family in Birmingham -two of them married into the Twist family - going back to early 1700's so if anyone has them in their FT I would be happy to share this information

Hi,
I am looking for information about John Kettle, who owned the steel houses in the early 1700s. I am finding history on this person to be elusive, so any data you have would be most welcome!
Dawn (Macqueen)

Where do you fit in to the Kettle FT then ? Or are you researching the steel houses for a different reason than FH ?

I cannot say I have a lot of information on John Kettle, and I was told by someone that John Kettle could not have been related to 'my' Kettle family, but I have yet to prove or disprove that.

I am new to using this website - can I send a private reply to you so I can give you my own e-mail address ?

Where do you fit in to the Kettle FT then ? Or are you researching the steel houses for a different reason than FH ?

I cannot say I have a lot of information on John Kettle, and I was told by someone that John Kettle could not have been related to 'my' Kettle family, but I have yet to prove or disprove that.

I am new to using this website - can I send a private reply to you so I can give you my own e-mail address ?

Hi
I am not sure how to do a private reply - however, I am doing research on the carriage of goods to/from the area before the canals were built, and Kettle was the biggest customer for iron from the Baltic. His supplier being a merchant in Bristol. I am trying to establish whether Kettle was a Quaker and if there were family ties to Bristol.
sincerely
Dawn

I have had a play to see about sending a private message but didn't get far. Then tried to upload a file to attach with this, again didn't get far ! Not that clear or user friendly it seems ! I had saved a Word document with some information gleaned from searching online which I was trying to send.

Perhaps if someone is reading this who can advise on either sending a private message so I can send my e-mail address or to advise on sending an attachment, that would be helpful.

I will try and copy a section of the document here :

1730’s
Swedish steel imported to England and in particular to Birmingham. The steelmaker John Kettle was one of the main customers and he would not settle for anything other than Oregrund Iron and so Prankard, the supplier, sought to purchase the iron directly from Stockholm. The majority of this steel went to John Kettle’s steel furnaces in Steelhouse Lane.

Click into the blue user name of the member and their profile will appear ,click into 'Instant message' and you will be able to contact them.

To attach a word file. Click the "go advanced" box next to "post quick reply" and a different box will open.

On the top line of the box is a new tool bar and one of the icons is a paper clip. Clicking this allows you to attach a file.

Janice

Attachments

• attachments.jpg
    attachments.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 4
Thank you very much for the two posts in answer to my queries about sending a private message and attaching a document. I have (hopefully) sent a private message to macqueen and can then send direct what I have on Kettle's steel houses.

Back