• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Co-op Shops At Bucklands End Lane, Castle Bromwich

LaytonLily

knowlegable brummie
I wonder if anyone has a photo of these shops around the time my father started to work there as Manager of the Greengrocery shop in 1949 / 1950 or perhaps later over the following 15 years ?

I am re-doing my parents 50th anniversary book for the rest of the family (both parents now dead) and am looking for illustrations to go with the stories and history from my parents.

My father said when he started to work at the shop in Bucklands End Lane it was just a lane, with no other nearby houses, a farm opposite, and the pigs from the farm would wander across the lane and into the shop (the shop being open fronted, as may of them were.)

Is this the one you mean, if so I only have this one. Unfortunately the Birmingham city surveyors marked it.

Attachments

• bucklands end co-op.jpg
    bucklands end co-op.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 27
Many thanks for the photo - that's how I remember it ! We all went for the day as children to 'help' dad. Take outer leaves off cauliflowers, shine up the apples were two jobs I had. My brother also had the job of plucking chickens, and the turkeys at Christmas. Customers were not allowed to handle the produce before buying then, and when I would take dad to the supermarkets, when he was older, he was horrified to see customers picking over the vegetables, and declared there must be a lot of waste, which would get passed onto the customer.

I can crop the photo, even though I will not get rid of all the red markings.

Glad its the right one. We have some talented people on here who could probably remove the marking for you. Just say pretty please, well, I'll say it for you. :)

Oh Wow ! Thats amazing - thank you so much ! I came on to the website to say 'do you think someone would?' and there it was already done for me.

It looks to be about the time my father worked there and I can see the open shop front of the greengrocery at the end !

And here he is with two of his lady assistants.

Attachments

• Dad in shop 3.jpg
    Dad in shop 3.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 17
What a lovely photo Lily. Looked like a happy place of work. And thank goodness they had plenty of tinned peas!

Belated welcome and I hope you continue to enjoy the forum. Viv.

Thank you for your comments Vivienne.

I am having a problem saving the photograph you kindly edited for me. Although I am saving as a jpg, which I would usually do, when I look in Picture it just shows as a blank outline. I would copy my old photos onto a usb stick and print off at Boots as I cannot print photos on my printer. But for some reason I am not going to be able to do this with this photo. Can you help please ?

Yes, thank you. Able to do what I usually do, with a bit of messing about !

I hope I can contributre to this site in some way because I have had help from people on here which I have been very grateful for.

If anyone for example is researching FH for Aston / Twist / Hunt / Tysall all of Birmingham, then I have lots of info I would be happy to share.

Back