• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

Nissen Huts Billesley Common WW2

Hi Carla, I do remember John ( jock ?) lavery hut No.4. Now I am not very good at this e-mail game, but I will do my best. So do I send them through the forum, or to a e-mail address of yours. Whichever way, you will have to bear with me, while I do a bit of searching for the pics, Mick.
  2. M

Hi Carla, I lived in one of those nissen huts with my parents until 1954. You will find a pic of that hut on my profile. I also have a couple of pics of the nursery which was alongside the camp. What was your mother in law,s name ? I can pop a copy of those pics in the post if you wish, Mick
  3. M

Hi Carla, I lived in one of those huts with my parents until 1954. You will find a pic of that hut with myself on it in my profile. I also have a couple of pics of the nursery which i attended alongside of the camp. What was your mother in law,s name?, I can put a copy of those pics in the post...
  4. M

MY BILLESLEY

Fantastic pics - left me a bit envious, never seen any pics of my parents wedding. Had schoolmates that lived in Wold Walk. Guess Ronnie Allen was your hero then, Mick.
  5. M

MY BILLESLEY

Well it was an experience, and I don't think the weather has changed much since then, never had a decent holiday in wet Cornwall. Mick.
  6. M

MY BILLESLEY

Quite right. Sitting with your trousers around your ankles in an outside toilet block in the middle of February on Billesley common, certainly made your eyes water.(and of course, real winters in those days).
  7. M

MY BILLESLEY

The army vacated the camp in early 1945. Families, including my own, then moved into the nissen huts and remained there until we were re-housed in the mid fifties. The huts then stood empty for a few months before being demolished. Mick.
  8. M

MY BILLESLEY

Hi Lyn, have other pics that show the childrens nursery ( with group photo's), which was alongside the huts, will forward them in due course, Mick
  9. M

MY BILLESLEY

Even back house slums had running water, unlike my nissen hut on Billesley common, (pictured). although i did have the biggest back garden in Billesley, Mick.
Back