• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nissen Huts Billesley Common WW2

CarlaJ

Brummie babby
Good evening, I hope everyone is keeping well. I am searching for any photos of the Nissen huts, and/or Billesely Common during/after WW2. My mother-in-law lived there as a child but has no photos. She remembers her childhood there fondly and it would be lovely to put a selection together as a surprise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards Carla

H
Good evening, I hope everyone is keeping well. I am searching for any photos of the Nissen huts, and/or Billesely Common during/after WW2. My mother-in-law lived there as a child but has no photos. She remembers her childhood there fondly and it would be lovely to put a selection together as a surprise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards Carla
Have a look in the thread below there are some photos of some huts ... :)

Hi Carla, I lived in one of those huts with my parents until 1954.
You will find a pic of that hut with myself on it in my profile.
I also have a couple of pics of the nursery which i attended alongside of the camp.
What was your mother in law,s name?,
I can put a copy of those pics in the post, iif you want.
Mick.

Sorry oldMohawk already beat me to it :)

Hi Carla, I lived in one of those nissen huts with my parents until 1954.
You will find a pic of that hut on my profile.
I also have a couple of pics of the nursery which was alongside the camp.
What was your mother in law,s name ?
I can pop a copy of those pics in the post if you wish,
Mick

Hi Carla, I lived in one of those nissen huts with my parents until 1954.
You will find a pic of that hut on my profile.
I also have a couple of pics of the nursery which was alongside the camp.
What was your mother in law,s name ?
I can pop a copy of those pics in the post if you wish,
Mick

Good evening Michael

What a great photo on your profile! I would really appreciate any others. Her maiden name was Lavery and she remembers being friends with Valerie and her mum and dad Norman and Lillian. Would you be able to email the photos?

Kind regards

Carla

Hi Carla, I do remember John ( jock ?) lavery hut No.4.
Now I am not very good at this e-mail game, but I will do my best.
So do I send them through the forum, or to a e-mail address of yours.
Whichever way, you will have to bear with me, while I do a bit of searching for the pics,
Mick.

I am not familiar with the area , but could the buildings marked on the c1951 map below in the north east corner be your nissen huts?

map c1951 buildings on north east side of billesley common.jpg

I’ve been trying to look for maps of that period but I haven’t come across this one. Looks pretty good to me! Thank you so much!

Thank you everyone for your responses so far. I couldn’t wait to tell her. She is very excited and can’t wait to see any photos, maps etc. I have also contacted the Birmingham archives and they have three old photos of Billesley Common, one of those being ‘old army huts’, so I will post them on here when I get to see them. My mother-in-law recalls how hay was grown on the common several months of the year and when harvested, the farmer used to make houses out of the hay bales for the children to play in. Thanks again

Back