• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MY BILLESLEY

Malc Toy

The Baggie Man
My dear old late mother and father were married at Holy Cross Church in or around 1938 followed by the Wedding Breakfast at the Billesley Arms Hotel.

My mother lived lived with her mother and eldest sister at 28 Wold Walk which I remember visiting many times in my early years. I believe they moved there in the early 1920’s from a rented property at 15 Sarehole Road where they billeted soldiers during the Great War. At the time of the marriage, my Mums middle sister was already married and lived close by at 653 Yardley Wood Road which backed onto Billesley Common.

The Wold Walk council house had an outdoor loo and coal store off the kitchen which was converted into an indoor loo probably in the 1960’s. Heated by a coal and latterly gas fire with hot water being provided by heating cold water in a copper boiler by a gas burner I presume.

How much things have changed for the better and one wonders if we could cope with those conditions today but I suppose it was a great improvement on back-to-back one up, one down two room terraces where my paternal grandfather lived.

If we’re were to go back in time, the big questions we would be asking is how would we charge our iPads, connect our microwaves, our computer routers and TV’s and would our mobile phones work?

Good old days? Not so sure!

Malcolm

PS: I have some pics of my mums wedding at Holy Cross which I will dig out and scan if of interest.

Last edited:
Malcolm,

In reality those houses in Wold Walk were little palace compared to the back courts and back house slums that a fair portion of Brummies lived in at that time. Most residents where I lived were just living in anticipation of moving up the chain to that level of housing. As for all the modern amenities I would think they are working pretty well in those houses now.

hi malcolm we would love to see your family photos...

lyn

Hi Lyn
We are at our home in North Wales at the moment but returning to our main residence later this week.
I will then have a search for my parents wedding photographs, scan them and post.
KR
Malcolm

thats great malcolm...will look forward to seeing them..its our members memories and photographs that help keep this forum going

all the best

lyn :)

Even back house slums had running water, unlike my nissen hut on Billesley common, (pictured). although i did have the biggest back garden in Billesley,
Mick.
I wonder if those buildings were left standing after the Ack Ack units were stood down ?

I wonder if those buildings were left standing after the Ack Ack units were stood down ?
The army vacated the camp in early 1945. Families, including my own, then moved into the nissen huts and remained there until we were re-housed in the mid fifties. The huts then stood empty for a few months before being demolished. Mick.

The army vacated the camp in early 1945. Families, including my own, then moved into the nissen huts and remained there until we were re-housed in the mid fifties. The huts then stood empty for a few months before being demolished. Mick.
I spent time in Nissen and Quonset huts in Germany. Living in one one on windy Billesley common must've been murder !

I ended up, only overnight fortunately, in 1956 in one at RAF St. Mawgan in Cornwall. It was windy and snowing. Grim area in bad weather. At RNAS St. Merryn, a few miles up coast, the locals frequently told us 'tiz alright 'ere in the zummer'. And so it was. :D

I spent time in Nissen and Quonset huts in Germany. Living in one one on windy Billesley common must've been murder !
Quite right. Sitting with your trousers around your ankles in an outside toilet block in the middle of February on Billesley common, certainly made your eyes water.(and of course, real winters in those days).

I ended up, only overnight fortunately, in 1956 in one at RAF St. Mawgan in Cornwall. It was windy and snowing. Grim area in bad weather. At RNAS St. Merryn, a few miles up coast, the locals frequently told us 'tiz alright 'ere in the zummer'. And so it was. :D
Well it was an experience, and I don't think the weather has changed much since then, never had a decent holiday in wet Cornwall. Mick.

Quite right. Sitting with your trousers around your ankles in an outside toilet block in the middle of February on Billesley common, certainly made your eyes water.(and of course, real winters in those days).
I was at Wheelers Lane Sec Mod in the mid - 50s. We had to "do" sport on the Common, you have my sympathy Sir !

My parents wedding at Holy Cross, Billesley and reception at the Billesley Arms.
FB6B676A-B4EB-40AA-9195-FF0F88AD8C75.jpeg
Holy Cross Church, Billesley

DCACC0D2-1975-459A-85D4-6AD08A4C7779.jpeg
Leaving Holy Cross

3E95A0E8-6577-4D0D-A173-306FA99D9864.jpeg
Reception Billesley Arms

2280AA0C-7A65-4584-8609-ACC9F8027B4F.jpeg

B25E6ECD-5CFD-4DA8-8578-5E94B572A3D2.jpeg
Family group circa 1912 thought to be rear of Benton Road, Sparkhill. Child sitting on my Great Grandmother’s knee is my mother aged 2 years.

F89FBDB0-67F5-4E73-B080-CFCE51CA153F.jpeg

35E4E116-5023-4465-994A-3C57468AD2B6.jpeg
My mother’s home at the time of marriage - 28 Wold Walk, Billesley

2AC60EBF-8FE1-410D-8CC7-3E01068992E3.jpeg
Maternal Grand Parents circa 1928-9 relaxing 28 Wold Walk

387FEF5A-6D08-46CB-A33E-7B42DC8F421C.jpeg
Party time at rear of 28 Wold Walk

193A229F-DDA3-45A1-8BB7-47D25782A618.jpeg
Rear garden 28 Wold Walk

Last edited:
As a matter of interest, my father and his family came from West Bromwich and when I was a ‘nipper’ I remember being lifted over the turnstiles by my father and uncle at The Hawthorns to watch West Brom. Hence, it must have got in my blood as I became a ‘Baggie’ !

what wonderful photos malc thank you for sharing them...you are lucky to have them:)

could i please ask members to stay within the topic of the thread title.. just noticed a few posts have been going off topic...thank you all

lyn

As a matter of interest, my father and his family came from West Bromwich and when I was a ‘nipper’ I remember being lifted over the turnstiles by my father and uncle at The Hawthorns to watch West Brom. Hence, it must have got in my blood as I became a ‘Baggie’ !
Fantastic pics - left me a bit envious, never seen any pics of my parents wedding. Had schoolmates that lived in Wold Walk. Guess Ronnie Allen was your hero then, Mick.

Back