• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. JohnT

Anyone remember Blaughting ?

When I was a kid and cried for superficial reasons, the typical response from my parents was "And you can stop yer blaughting an'all, or you'll get something to cry for me'lad." Does anyone remember the word 'Blaughting', and have I spelled it correctly? I can't find any reference to the word...
  2. JohnT

Anyone remember a 1960 Kings Norton Weightlifting & Fitness Club?

Around 1959/60 I attended a weightlifting club with this name or something similar. Does anyone remember it? If you dropped down from The Green at Kings Norton onto the Pershore Road, as if going left to Cotteridge, the club house was some kind of rectangular, lightly fabricated hut about a 100...
  3. JohnT

Birmingham Pals link infected?

I assume this is where I should report an infection risk. I found the Birmingham Pals link in the 'Main Sites' section, but when I clicked on it my security system told me it was badly infected and to get out of it quick! :shocked:
  4. JohnT

Birmingham Tram Books

I visited the Crich Tramway Village & Museum in Derbyshire (www.tramway.co.uk) this weekend and found the following titles in their gift shop, which people on this thread may or not know of: 'Birmingham Trams: on old picture postcards' John Marks, Yesterday's Warwickshire Series no.4 , ISBN 0...
  5. JohnT

Middlesex Regiment: Central Mediterranean Force

Did anyone on here serve in the Middlesex Regiment: Central Mediterranean Force during WW2, or does anyone know where I can read an account of its involvement? I've only just discovered my dad's army number and that he served as a Corporal cook with the 2nd Battalion / 7th Middlesex Regiment...
  6. JohnT

Cake shop and Bakery, Kings Heath

Does anyone remember a cake shop that was operating in the 1950s (probably before and after too) just a couple of doors up from the Kingsway Cinema? I think it was next to the longstanding newsagents (wish I could remember the name of that shop too). More importantly, does anyone remember the...
  7. JohnT

Somerville Rd school

Somerville Road Junior School - I'm not sure if it still exists or not. In the mid 1950s, for a couple of years my parents owned a little 'front room' shop midway along Palace Road, Bordesley Green (opposite a WW2 bombsite where two houses had gone), and I attended SR School while we lived...
  8. JohnT

Grendon Road Infant School

In the mid 1950's I lived with my parents in a Prefab in Amwell Grove, off Alcester Road, just below Maypole. I attended an infant school which I think was on a side road off Sladepool Farm Road, or very near there. Can anyone tell me what it was called? I doubt it is still there (and I live...
  9. JohnT

Hello KPNuts I got here about 48 hours before you and already I can say you will not be disappointed by joining. A lot of us have family origins around Aston, so you should make some good links and finds. Good luck. John
  10. JohnT

Two Germans and Harry Taylor, my Father

I wonder if anyone can help me achieve a special goal? I want to find the family of two German prisoners of war and thank them for saving the life of my late father. If I am ever to do this, I need to start by finding basic information that I do not have - my father's army number, regiment...
  11. JohnT

Winjew ? and Bark !

Back in the 1960s there was a person in our street who was thought to be of dubious gender - a 'man' with male and female characteristics. My mom said he was a "winjew". I don't know if this spelling is correct, but it matches how she pronounced it. I have never heard anyone else use this word...
  12. JohnT

Nice to join you all

What a fantastic site and forum! I am a bit of a long lost exile of Birmingham so I know I am going to enjoy venturing back there to talk with some of you. I struck out from Brum (to go travelling, and then back into education) in my twenties, some 35 years ago. I never came back. My parents...
Back