• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grendon Road Infant School

JohnT

Warstock Boy
In the mid 1950's I lived with my parents in a Prefab in Amwell Grove, off Alcester Road, just below Maypole. I attended an infant school which I think was on a side road off Sladepool Farm Road, or very near there.

Can anyone tell me what it was called?

I doubt it is still there (and I live in Sheffield now, so it's not easy for me to check it out), and I expect there have been road changes.

I'm pretty sure it was a one-story building, built like a long rectangle, standing back from and parallel with the road, and the playground was behind the building, out of sight from the road.

Thanks
John

The only one I can think of in that area is in School Road, at the northern end of Highters Heath Lane, and opposite some of the Yardley Wood shops. You would have had to go the full length of Sladepool Farm Road, turned left and pass the underground water reservoir (on the left) and the junior school (on the right, just before the School Rd junction).
Amwell Grove is post-war council-type housing now, some of it low-rise flats.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...09219,-1.886505&spn=0.00159,0.003455&t=h&z=18

I went to Grendon Road school starting there in 1942, and it was just as you descibed it, a single story rectangular building standing back a little from the road with the playground behind it, and in those days made of timber. and Amwell Grove is very close to it. John70

Thanks Team

It looks like it must have been Grendon Road school, especially given John70's description. I may be slightly out with my roads, and given that I was 4 and a half years of age when I started there, maybe you'll let me off for the error?!

I remember three distinct things about this school experience - one I'm too embarrased to mention (but think 'toilet' training and you'll get somewhere near), the others being:

1. During my first week I was introduced to the practice of queueing with the other infants at the front of the classroom for a cup of milky hot chocolate (no doubt Cadbury's, and called "Cocoa" at the time). When it was my turn the teacher pushed forward what looked like a cup half full, and though I took it, I complined as I walked away. The teacher heard me and called me back. She told me off and asked me to hold the hand out that I'd taken the cup with, then she smacked it with a ruler. Ouch! I can still remember how it shocked and stung me. Apparently, there were intentionally half-full cups for kids who wanted them. My defence (a true one) that I didn't know this was immediately dismissed. Have to say though, I've been very polite at service counters ever since!

2. I first fell in love - actually with two 5 year old girls at the same time. A blond called Lorraine Watts and a brunette called Pamela Evans. Not sure what happened to Lorraine, but I used to spot Pamela on occasions over the following years - always from a distance and never to speak to. The last time was when I saw her on a number 11 bus when we would both be aged about 14. She was utterly gorgeous, but, feeling she was out of my league, I always got too embarrased to say anything when I saw her. I see now that she is part of the Birmingham I never lost my attraction for.

John

Back