• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. K

Golden Hillock Road School

You could have counted me in if I didn't live so far away. I was there in the early 60's and I particularly remember Miss Brookes and Mr. Price. KP
  2. K

Brummie Newbie Saying Hello

Welcome Ben, you have joined a wonderful resource. Regards, KP
  3. K

Walford Road, Sparkhill

Hi Jean, I used to be in the choir at Emannuel and also was a member of the Brownie Pack. Living so close to the church I remember the line of poplar trees that grew right against the brick wall next to the neighbour's garden. I went past there last year and saw a building next to the church...
  4. K

Shard End - Which School?

Thanks Jennyann. You reminded me to go back to that site, I have already registered with my other schools, but now with all your help I have another name to enter. KP
  5. K

Thank you all for your most generous welcome. I can see how this forum can become quite addictive!! I do have access to numerous US and Canadian records, so please let me know if I can help. KP
  6. K

Hi Dianne, When my uncle's granddaughter drove me past the shops in Shard End she told me that the shopping area was going to be redeveloped. A lot of the shops still there had been closed down already. Pity my dad is no longer with us, I am sure he probably went to the Two Hands pub! KP
  7. K

Hi Pam, If they lived in the cul-de-sac we may have known them, but at the moment doesn't ring a bell. Does anyone have any descriptive memories of Hillstone Primary in the mid to late 50's, class rooms, playground etc. that may help? thank you. KP
  8. K

Walford Road, Sparkhill

Hi RobertH, This is great!! In the early 60's we lived in Walford Road close to the Emmanuel Church on the corner of Golden Hillock Road. I went to Golden Hillock Primary before we moved out of the city. When were you there? Do you remember anything about the Fortey family, names, their...
  9. K

Hi Dianne, I was born at 107 which is the first house on the right going into the cul-de-sac. The old lady lived in the "pensioner cottage" next door on the right as you go in. We were there in the mid to late 50's. In fact, I visited there last spring when I came back to England for the...
  10. K

Thanks Dianne. It is possible that it was Hillstone Primary because Longmeadow sounds so familiar. I only have 2 distinct memories of Hall Hays Road, the old lady who lived next door and playing in the cul-de-sac. Regards, KP
  11. K

Thanks for the reply Jennyann. Unfortunately, I just don't remember the name of the school, but it would have been within walking distance of Hall Hays Road, I am sure, my parents never did drive and I don't think we would have been going to school by bus that young. Which one would be the...
  12. K

Hi, I was born in Hall Hays Road, Shard End in the 50's and moved to Selly Oak when I was about 6 or so, unfortunately I can't recall what schools I may have gone to in either place. I wonder if anyone can help me? Regards, KP
  13. K

Walford Road, Sparkhill

Hi everyone! Does anyone remember W.J. Fortey - Fruiterers at 105 Walford Road, Sparkhill, close to the corner of Medlicott Road? It was there back in the early 1950's and apparently owned by cousins of my mother. Regards, KP:)
Back