• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Shard End - Which School?

KPNUTS

proper brummie kid
Hi,
I was born in Hall Hays Road, Shard End in the 50's and moved to Selly Oak when I was about 6 or so, unfortunately I can't recall what schools I may have gone to in either place. I wonder if anyone can help me?
Regards,
KP

Hi KP: Could it be one of these in Shard End:

Brownmead Junior & Infants Pencroft Road, Shard End
Colbourne Primary, Hodge Hill, Shard End
Guardian Angels Roman Catholic School Hurst Lane, Shard End
Heathlands Junior & Infants, Heath Way, Castle Bromwich
Hillstone Primary, Hillstone Road, Shard End
Timberley Primary School, Bradley Road, Shard End

Thanks for the reply Jennyann. Unfortunately, I just don't remember the name of the school, but it would have been within walking distance of Hall Hays Road, I am sure, my parents never did drive and I don't think we would have been going to school by bus that young. Which one would be the closest?
Regards,
KP

Timberley school would have been the closest (in fact there was a gate in Hall Hays Road that led onto the school)

Please ignore the above,, I got confused with Hall Hays Rd and Bradley Rd !!

Last edited:
The nearest school to Hall Hays Road would have either been Hillstone or Timberly, do you recall walking past a large school on your way to your school, if so then you would have gone to Hillstone Primary as the large school was Longmeadow Girls , to get to Timbeley school from Hall Hays Road you would have walked up past Guardian Angels Church and then down Packington Avenue

Thanks Dianne. It is possible that it was Hillstone Primary because Longmeadow sounds so familiar. I only have 2 distinct memories of Hall Hays Road, the old lady who lived next door and playing in the cul-de-sac.
Regards,
KP

Hi kp,

I know Hall Hays road, and I remember the Cul De Sac, I remember only one family from the cul de sac,, their name was Cooper.

Hi Dianne,
I was born at 107 which is the first house on the right going into the cul-de-sac. The old lady lived in the "pensioner cottage" next door on the right as you go in. We were there in the mid to late 50's. In fact, I visited there last spring when I came back to England for the first time after a gap of some 36 years, although I hadn't been to Hall Hays Road for a lot longer than that, it hasn't changed at all, except for the "new parking" that has been put in! I still have an uncle living in Shard End.
KP

KP Do you remember the Smith family living in Hall hays rd in the 50's.My ex husband Derek lived there with his sisiter Veronica and brother Keith they attended Hillstone school.Pam

Hi Kp,

did you notice that the tower blocks in Kitsland Road have now gone ? they were all named after Australian Cities -Adalaide, Canberra etc. Way back in the mid sixties Kitsland Road (about 100 yeards from where you lived) had lovely shops, there was a chemist, a Co-op supermarket, a drapery/ clothes shop, butchers, greengrocers, newsagent barbers shop and a fantastic Record Shop (used to get all my records from there .. (Tamla Motown .. but thats another story) , then there was the "Two Hands" Pub ... the area has changed so much, Longmeadow Girls is now a Housing Development, most of the shops have now gone, all high rise flats demolished and I am unsure if Two Hands pub is still there (probably not) .. I will have a drive down there tomorrow (going to take my Mom shopping.. she still lives in Shard End but by the park) .

Hi Pam,
If they lived in the cul-de-sac we may have known them, but at the moment doesn't ring a bell. Does anyone have any descriptive memories of Hillstone Primary in the mid to late 50's, class rooms, playground etc. that may help? thank you.
KP

Hi Dianne,
When my uncle's granddaughter drove me past the shops in Shard End she told me that the shopping area was going to be redeveloped. A lot of the shops still there had been closed down already. Pity my dad is no longer with us, I am sure he probably went to the Two Hands pub!
KP

Hi KP
my friend Pat Vyse went to Hillstone in the 50's i will ask her for any details.I went to Timberley and lived in hurst lane opposite the army barracks.
Pam

Hi KPNuts: There is a page for Hillstone Primary, Shard End on the Friends Reunited web site at www.friendsreunited.co.uk. You just enter the
school in the menu at the top of the page on the left. Schools are right under
People on the menu. You can then click on the site for Hillstone Primary.Friends Reunited is a free site these days.

Thanks Jennyann. You reminded me to go back to that site, I have already registered with my other schools, but now with all your help I have another name to enter.
KP

i was born in selly oak and went to tiverton road, infants and juniors, there was also st marys at the top of selly oak,my senior school was selly park school stirchley

My oppo Alan Taman lived at 18 Hall Hayes road, he was born in 57 and went to Hillstone. You may remember the Ascot building which was a temporary set of classrooms built across the playing fields.

Back