• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Ray Barrett

Summer Lane

See the palm trees swaying way down Summer Lane. Every Saturday night there's a jubilation you can see them dancing in the Salutation' There ain't no Snow on Snow Hill and there's no need to catch a train. Every Saturday night if the weather is right,it's Summer in Summer lane.....My mom learn't...
  2. Ray Barrett

The stags head briearly st

There was only one pub in Summer lane in my time.'The vine'.the address of the others was the corner of the street they were in.
  3. Ray Barrett

Metro Cammell Saltley

My gt.granddad worked there so did my granddad and his bro.They were all carrige fitters.
  4. Ray Barrett

Holidays of the past

As a 17 year old soldier on my way to Plymouth.On the Devon railway,in a compartment with an old sea dog who had been adrift for some weeks,he must have thought I was an idiot with my boyish behavior...such excitement....My first sighting is still the best ever,even after going around the world...
  5. Ray Barrett

Clifton Road Aston

Brenda, last time I saw Lily and Audrey (they are cousins),was about 18 years ago they were then about 61 and Lily didn't look a day over 35.You probably also knew my cousin Pat Slaney,she was a friend of lily and about the same age.
  6. Ray Barrett

Clifton Road Aston

Hiya,Brummyexcile, I knew your granddad Bill and dad Ken, oh, and your gt.gran Sarah,Arthur was my uncle,he was married to my moms sister.
  7. Ray Barrett

Pubs Of The Past

The pub closest to Gosta Green, was 'The General Wolf'
  8. Ray Barrett

Pubs Of The Past

It was the Clarendon.
  9. Ray Barrett

Clifton Road Aston

Hello Robert,Sorry I have taken so long to reply.Well,I would be proud to say "I was the son of Arthur Burley" he was my "corner man " when I Boxed as a lad,him and his brother Jack used to train us at Upper Thomas St.school.The last time I saw him was on a visit to "The Bricklayers" and the...
  10. Ray Barrett

the first isle of man tt

It could be we were both in I.O.M.watching the T.T.in 1949 Joe.I went the year year Geoff Duke won the senior for the first time.
  11. Ray Barrett

Clifton Road Aston

Hello Jason. The three three pubs on corners were "The bricklayers Arms" on the corner of Potters Hill, "The Crown" on the corner of Upper Sutton St.and the "Golden Lion" on the corner of Upper Thomas St.At No.100 was the outdoor kept by Dolly Mellon her husband had played...
  12. Ray Barrett

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

Hello bab,Had the worst year of my life and am just starting to recover.Yes it was the lane or perhaps Farm St.spent a lot of time there in my youth.Thanks for spotting my deliberate mistake...liar liar yer bums on fire.
  13. Ray Barrett

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

The peaky blinders were never organised gangsters.They were young blokes who returned from the horrors of WW1. desensitized,to whom violence was a way of life,and having no jobs just drifted into street fighting.Did know a couple of old blokes who said they had been peaky blinders,I had no...
  14. Ray Barrett

pubs in potters hill

There were none in my time.The Bricklayers was on the corner of Clifton Rd.but I think it's address was also Clifton Rd.In the 50s the gaffer was A.rthur Burley .
  15. Ray Barrett

Clifton Road Aston

Hello Kathy, Go back to post No.121 your mom Lily is on that photo.,also her mom and cousin Ina.I lived across the road from the Prestons They all lived up the same yard.My pal lived next door to your mom Lily.
  16. Ray Barrett

Upper Thomas Street 1949-50

Sarah, I have a boxing bill from 1949,Maurice would know some of those on it,but for some reason I am unable to post it.Also have you looked in the Astonbrook through Astonmanor site there are some photo's of U.T.S.on there,also my boxing bill. Mohawk,the teachers on your photo's are...
  17. Ray Barrett

Upper Thomas Street 1949-50

I was at U.T.S.from 1941-1951,and there was a tall lad named Maurice Cook.
  18. Ray Barrett

Clifton Road Aston

My aunt and uncle lived at No.106 Clifton Rd.from 1930 to 1950.
  19. Ray Barrett

Hare of the Dog Wellhead Tavern Franchise Street

My gran is in the front row in the light colored coat.I do recall the face of jeans nan but not the name,my gran always had someone in the house every time I went to see her,She also used to cook the lunch for a few ladies who worked at Kynochs.I was a very friendly St.I visited regularly from...
  20. Ray Barrett

Hare of the Dog Wellhead Tavern Franchise Street

Inside the Wellhead 1958.the landlord is at the back in the photo. An interesting aside to the Wellhead.During the war the landlord used to go up Franchise St.whenever there was a raid on and collect all the old folk and lead them to the "safety" of his cellar.Considering it was just across the...
Back