• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

Where is This ? #200

Was this also the site of Berlin House, in Old Square?
  2. B

kingsbury hall,kingsbury road/wheelwright road

I am sure patsycat is referring to the old community centre on Kingsbury Road, near to the Wheelwright Road junction. Its gates still stand as does the driveway, but the Victorian gothic mansion, which was called Shepherd's Green House has been demolished and now has a housing estate on it. I...
  3. B

Harris Family of Kingsbury Road

Does anyone remember the Harris family who lived in the large house on Kingsbury Road, near to Woodend Lane on the opposite side? After Mrs. Harris died in the early 80s, the house was converted to a retirement home. Mr. Harris used to be the Head Master of the Blue Coat School and some of...
  4. B

kingsbury hall,kingsbury road/wheelwright road

Is Kingsbury Hall, the house also known as Shepherds Green House? I lived in Kingsbury Road, and the house was then the community centre, which was where we used to vote. It is now a housing estate. I remember reading that it was once owned by the Rackham family, who owned the department store...
  5. B

Cockshut Hill School

My dad was also in the Yardley Homeguard, when we lived at Barrows Lane. Teachers I remember at Cockshut Hill include, Miss. Smith, Mrs. Witkowska, Miss Orme, Mrs. Davies, Miss Allen, the Rev. Green who took Religious Instruction, Mrs. Garton, and a tall thin teacher, who I think was called...
  6. B

Barrows Stores

Gilbertstone, like the area of Yardley which is also so-called was named after the legend of a giant, who picked up a large rock with one hand. The giant was called Gilbert, and his stone is to be found in the gardens of Blakesley Hall. There were at least 11 moated manor houses in Yardley...
  7. B

Barrows Stores

Barrows Lane, which covers Sheldon and Yardley was named after the landlord and landlady of a pub which once stood on Barrows Lane, I forget the name of the pub. The same Barrows were also landlord and landlady of the Talbot pub in Church Road, near to Yardley village. After being a pub, it was...
  8. B

City Centre Photographs

When walking around the city centre, I am struck by how attractive the Victorian buildings are, and how bland and boring are the new ones. It is easy to pass through Birmingham without looking up at the fine details of the Victorian buildings. The city planners then must have had a real pride...
  9. B

Gibbett Hill - New Oscott

When researching the history of this area, I remember reading that the part of the Hall's Garden centre shop, which fronts Chester Road is what remains of a cottage which was known as Cook's farm. Looking at old maps, I came to the conclusion that Gibbet Hill was behind the New Oscott Tavern...
  10. B

Castle Vale

The old name for Castle Vale was Berwood. The moat and Berwood Hall, stood until the 1930s. In its time Berwood has belonged to the Arden family, who gave it to the abbey of St. Mary de Pratis in 1160. After receiving the gift of land, the abbey decided to charge the Arden family, who still...
  11. B

Pubs Of The Past

In the past two days I have discovered my great grandfather was landlord of the Old Sun Inn, Coleshill Street, Sutton Coldfield, before moving the The British Oak pub in Highgate. His father, my great great grandfather was landlord of the Duke Inn, Duke Street, Sutton Coldfield, which has...
  12. B

Blakesley Hall

Growing up in Barrows Lane, I regularly went to Blakesley Hall. The top floor used to have suits of armour.
  13. B

Our family tree: Weddings

The wedding of my parents, Cyril Tongue and Dagmar Pittam in 1941 at St. Edburgha's Church, Yardley.
  14. B

Old street pics..

I'm afraid I don't know who the artist was. The painting comes from a postcard bought from Blakesley Hall, which I have since lost.
  15. B

Old street pics..

Barrows Lane, Yardley 1929, near to the Co-op sports field and Yardley Village
  16. B

Gravelly Hill - Slade Road / The Slade

Yes there was a school clinic on Slade Road. I remember taking my son there when he was about 9 to have his ear syringed because he had gone deaf in it. A dead ladybird came out of his ear, and he could hear again. The building is still there, but I believe it is a drug counselling service now...
  17. B

Pubs Of The Past

The Armada still stands opposite Salford Circus. https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/56069/
  18. B

Pubs Of The Past

The Armada still stands facing Salford Circus. https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/56069/
  19. B

St Barnabas Church Erdington

I think the new building is the ugliest thing I have ever seen and agree that it would be better had it been left as a shell, rather the eyesore it now is. Perhaps if the church wanted something modern after the fire, it would have better to completely demolish the old building. Now the beauty...
Back