• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is This ? #200

Hi All,

It seems ro be the King Edward School in New Street now the site of the Odeon Cinema, See Stitchers recent post on the King Edward School thread.

Old Boy

Right the previous use was by a gas company, which was bought out by the Council and became Birmingham Gas Board. They later moved to what is now The Gas House and is part of The Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. What I am after is the use at the time of this photo and what it became later after it was rebuilt and then what replaced that.

Phil

My grandfather, wounded in WW1 was unable to do a normal job because his hand was crippled, worked for a few years for what was then known as the 'Gas Department'. I think this photo was on the front of one of their booklets which gave a precis of the history of Birmingham. I had this book when I was about seven, but don't know what happened to it. I did not think for one minute that I was right, it was just a stab in the air, but I am pleased.

Is it near the old Wesleyn and General building and the Gaumont cinema, top of Snow Hill area? Maybe it was where the Gaumont was. Viv.

Right we have decided that it was situated in Old Square and we have deduced that it was the original headquarters of the Birmingham Gas board before it moved to the Gas House. We still need the history of this building after that move.

Phil

Charlie

And what would it have been before it was Lewis's ?

Mike

I know you have got this photo and information on one of your CD books.

Phil

Yes Thats the one Newbury Department store, which was as we all know replaced by Lewis's. So well done Jayell give yourself a pat on the back as can everybody else that took part.

Phil

Very well done Judy! You've earned this. Viv.

560791fc-7548-dbb0.jpg

Beverleigh

No Berlin House was on the other side of the Minories which is the road shown in the photo. Berlin House was replaced when Lewis's extended their store from Bull Street. This was before they acquired Newbury's and joined the two stores via underground and overhead walkways.

Phil

most of you have probably seen this but if you go to the bull st thread post 1 ive posted a pic of the newbury building...

lyn

Thank you Phil. As has been said before it's just a process of elimination with the answer being reached with the help and input of everyone else who is having a go. Certainly these puzzles get the old brain ticking over!

Judy

Ooooh....I knew this (memo to self: must log on more often and not go out so much)!!!!
Well done Judy.

Thanks Charlie. Annoying isn't it? I had the answer a while back but didn't think it was right so didn't put it on - just shows you have to make a stab at it. It was your final answer of Lewis's that gave me the clue.

Judy

Back