• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. izzy eckerslike

Talking pictures tv now has the red button!

One of my favourite channels is Talking pictures TV, as from today on Freeview channel 82 they have the red button for a load films etc! I think only BBC currently have the red button. Providing your TV is connected to the internet the red button brings up loads of Talking pictures films etc...
  2. izzy eckerslike

Airship construction

An amazing photo of the construction of airship USS Macon. As part of the Goodyear-Zeppelin arrangement, the Luftshiffbau Zeppelin sent technical experts to Akron to train Goodyear employees in the design and construction of airships c.1930. Photo from Machinist museum.
  3. izzy eckerslike

4 & 5 Loveday Street

I'm trying to find information on a tool dealer who had premises at 4 & 5 Loveday street around 1901, I don't know which end the numbers ran on the street but I can see from other posts that there was a maternity hospital and some houses. If anyone has access to photo's or details of various...
  4. izzy eckerslike

Pebble Mill Studios

Did any of you work there? Contrary to popular belief very little scenery was produced at Pebble Mill, it was nearly all contracted out, mostly to Eagle Road Studios in Redditch. I worked on the scenery there from 1980 -1998, hundreds of programmes inc Howards Way, Juliet Bravo, Dangerfield...
  5. izzy eckerslike

Antique gun shop Pershore road

Does anyone remember the antique gun shop on the Pershore road down the bottom end of Stirchley? I can't recognise the building it was in on Google Earth unless it was demolished, possibly where Church drive is now. I bought a flintlock pistol and several other old guns from there in the...
  6. izzy eckerslike

Market Street

Has anyone got an old photo of Market street? it was very short and ran off Upper Dean St , it was the rear of premises fronting on to Jamaica Row. I tried a search but no luck so far. I used to visit a coin shop in 1961 which was up some rickety exterior stairs right in the middle of all the...
  7. izzy eckerslike

Oxlley Grove, Weoley Castle 1950's

Oxlley Grove, Weoley Castle 1950's, Anyone lived there? I can remember the names of some of the boys I played with, there was Nicholas Walton who lived next door at number 4, Nobby Brandon who lived across the road, he had a sister called Carol, there was Jimmy Taghart who lived at the top of...
  8. izzy eckerslike

Water meters

Our Water bill has come in at £511 for the year, there are just us two pensioners living here & I reckon a meter will be a big saving for us. Because the current bill is based on the now obsolete rateable value there is no way it can be reduced according to info on the net. So basically I am...
  9. izzy eckerslike

The real Oliver Twist

Just reading 'The Real Oliver Twist by John Waller. It tells the horrific cruelty suffered by workhouse children sent to work in cotton mills up North. It tells the true story from the memoirs of Robert Blinkoe who was a Parish orphan from St. Pancras workhouse around 1790 & it is thought...
  10. izzy eckerslike

grandads medals, R Warwks

I inherited my grandads medals a long time ago, as a child I remember there was a large embroidered emblem of the royal Warwickshires in a frame with the medals pinned on, what happened to it I don't know but at least I have his medals which includes the MM. I seem to recall he was a stretcher...
  11. izzy eckerslike

The Austin motor viaduct

As a child in the 1950's we used to go over towards Frankley beeches, there were no housing estates back then -just open farmland & woodland. We used to go past the Frankley reservior & into some dense woodland called the bluebell woods & make dens etc but one day we heard a noise & it was a...
  12. izzy eckerslike

Ilmington road school weoley castle

Anyone go to Ilmington road Secondary modern, Weoley Castle ? I left the school in 1961, The boys school was separate from the girls unlike today, & we only had a glimpse of girls when they had to use one of the spare classrooms in the boys school which was rather odd because in 2nd year my...
  13. izzy eckerslike

Broken crisps & biscuits

Does anyone remember a little shop in Selly Oak somewhere near the baths that used to sell bags of broken biscuits & also Smiths broken crisps ? We used to walk from Weoley Castle in the 1950's to the shop & you would get quite a big bag of broken crisps, only drawback was no salt! but we used...
  14. izzy eckerslike

Roy Orbison

Any Roy Orbison fans? Rated by many inc.Elvis, the Beatles,Johnny Cash & many others as the greatest singer of modern times. I remember he was doing a show at the cinema in Dudley some time in the 60's but it was sold out & I couldn't get a ticket. Sadly Roy is no longer with us but his songs...
  15. izzy eckerslike

Pinballs in Cafes

Any pinball fans ? Pinball was hugely popular in the 60's, every cafe & lots of pubs had at least one machine. As well as pinball flipper machines I used to play the Bally bingo machines because you could win money , remember them? you had to carefully steer the balls into sockets in order to...
Back