• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ilmington road school weoley castle

izzy eckerslike

master brummie
Anyone go to Ilmington road Secondary modern, Weoley Castle ?
I left the school in 1961, The boys school was separate from the girls unlike today, & we only had a glimpse of girls when they had to use one of the spare classrooms in the boys school which was rather odd because in 2nd year my classroom wasn't even in the school as it was in a church in the Castle square & we had to walk to & from the main school for certain lessons & assembly, that year was the most pleasant & I was happy there.

I remember the old air raid shelters which were out of bounds & a lot of the buildings were wooden & creosoted black, I mostly hated school & some of the teachers were sadists, I can still recall some of the teachers names, Headmaster Mr. Pudephat who retired just as I started & Mr Small who took over & gym teacher Marcus Marcusson ( sadist).
I hated both woodwork & metalwork ( making a poker)& was completely useless at both & yet in later life I became an architectural modelmaker & also had a little forge along with a lathe & milling machine & made working replicas of antique firearms for a hobby.
I drove past there a couple of years ago & discovered it had been demolished & a housing development was there.

I went to Ilmington Girls School between 1967 and 1972. We were amalgamated with the boys school in 1971 so my last year there was in the first mixed class. Our headmistress was Miss McLaughlin. I remember Miss Kirk (history), Miss Barber (I think) later to become Mrs Punton (games and PE), Mrs Mason (hairy Mary) needlework, Miss Peake (English) - squint in one eye so I was never sure whether she was looking at me until she shouted at me! Can't remember who took us for maths, if I remember we had a different teacher every year and I hated the subject! The Home Economics teacher also scared me to death (can't think of her name at the moment - it'll probably come to me in the middle of the night!) and the RE teacher, who I think also took games, was a tiny, athletic woman who I think was called Miss Hall, but I may be mistaken. Shenley Court School had only just opened when I was due to move to secondary school and I desperately wanted to go there but was out of the area at the time so ended up at the dreaded Ilmington where, I have to say, I enjoyed my time there (most of the time anyway!) There was a fire at the school round about 1968/9 which damaged some of the classrooms (the school was a wooden structure) so we got a few days off. Like a phoenix it rose from the ashes until it was demolished some years ago to make way for new houses. Our uniform was a yellow shirt, green and yellow striped tie, green skirt and green blazer with the school badge on the pocket. Happy days!! (Though maybe I wasn't so sure about that at the time!!!)

I went to Ilmington Road Secondary School from 59/62, I was in Glory Be's Class on leaving. I remember Sammy Small, Mr Roberts , Doc Jennings, I remember Marcasson, though not for the same reasons as the previous blogger. The best teacher on leaving was Mr Brown. I to hated woodwork, metal work, and especially Technical drawing, though I realised early on that the way to see the girls was to be a milk monitor, you got to go into the girls school each day that way. I have some happy memories there but the teaching was of a very low grade. I too went to the Annex school on the square Mr Grey's classI think. I hv'nt lived in Brum scince I was 16 yrs old but still remember it with great affection. I went back in 2003 and found everything demolished and gone.
Anyone go to Ilmington road Secondary modern, Weoley Castle ?
I left the school in 1961, The boys school was separate from the girls unlike today, & we only had a glimpse of girls when they had to use one of the spare classrooms in the boys school which was rather odd because in 2nd year my classroom wasn't even in the school as it was in a church in the Castle square & we had to walk to & from the main school for certain lessons & assembly, that year was the most pleasant & I was happy there.

I remember the old air raid shelters which were out of bounds & a lot of the buildings were wooden & creosoted black, I mostly hated school & some of the teachers were sadists, I can till recall some of the teachers names, Headmaster Mr. Pudephat who retired just as I started & Mr Small who took over & gym teacher Marcus Marcusson ( sadist).
I hated both woodwork & metalwork ( making a poker)& was completely useless at both & yet in later life I became an architectural modelmaker & also had a little forge along with a lathe & milling machine & made working replicas of antique firearms for a hobby.
I drove past there a couple of years ago & discovered it had been demolished & a housing development was there.

We might well have been in the same class by the sounds of it, my name is Vic Newey, I remember doc Jennings had a Morris minor with a tennis ball on the towbar.

I was in 'Glory be kid' s class ( mr. Heath? ) as well & I remember him reading a book to us which included the word 'Cheyenne' & we kids had seen the tv show by that name & new it was pronounced 'Shyanne but glory be pronounced it in a ridiculous manner & we all burst out laughing which infuriated him,lol

Have you joined friends reunited? lots of ilmo stuff on there

hi izzy
no I am little younger than you left 1962 april joined army never came back to brum. visited when dad passed on in 1998, school gone then, old house in milcote road still the same. people I remember, razor hinkley, derek eagles, chris dodge, smiffy, hairy wearing, smoking behind bike sheds and playing shipwrecked in the gym. good old ilmington cow sheds, have a photo of me when about 13 in full ilmo uniform quite strange now nearly 63, do you have any school photo's.
regards
brummie stacey

I am 63 in June, I left Ilmo in 1961, there are some group pics on Friends reunited but I don't know if there are any of me still at dads house, I'll take a look,

I remember some characters also but we lived the other end off Gregory Avenue in Oxley Grove , John Craney, Ed Maher, Nick Walton, the Tudge family next door who drove us out of our house with their noise

Last edited:
I was a teacher in Illmington Road secondary modern in the school year 1961 - 62. I taught the remedial stream down in the Annex which I shared with Mr Tozer (an old-school English gentleman), Mr Pierre (a black teacher, when that was pretty rare in British schools) and a couple of others whose names escape me. I remember quite a few of my pupils - There was happy-go-lucky Fazackerly, Macfadyen, who quite rightly questioned everything, the Franklin twins, who looked after each other, and a rather disturbed lad called Barry Bonehill, who threw a chair at me. Quite right too, probably.

The school ran on fear backed up by corporal punishment with Mr Small, the head, as the ultimate deterrent. I remember reading about a case for assault taken out against him, years after I left. I was not surprised. Using physical punishment seemed to me, in the context of the school, a matter of personal survival, so I did it reluctantly. Mr Pierre for reasons of conscience chose not to do so, and the sounds of his daily crucifixion drifted through the partition wall from the neighbouring classroom, and served as a dire warning. Mr Small seemed to think our job was to produce a neat, punctual, and obedient working class, and didn't encourage anything more life-affirming than that. Happily, in the Annex, we were out of sight, and apart from a very occasional visit from the man, out of mind. So we could do our own arts-and-crafts, songs-and-stories thing to some extent.

Looking back, I wish I had been a bit more courageous and independent, with a better idea of what teaching could be about. But it was my first job, and I gave it my best shot. I hope no-one suffered too much!

hello bill
I am sorry but I cannot remember you personally but I left Easter 62, was in "Glory Be's" class do remember Marcasonn, and Mr Roberts , Mr Brown, Mr Bowen,Doc Jennings I was for year 1 at the annex by the square a Mr Greys class but he retired in 1959. as I said not much in the way of education but never the less the start of ones life, I am particularly proud of my eldest son who has just been awarded a degree with (hons) from Canterbury in Politics and history so the cycle comes full circle as they say. Perhaps you could name some other teachers I have forgotten now, good old (Ilmington Cow Sheds) regards
Paul stacey

I just remembered the name of my last teacher in 1961, Mr.Squires, anyone remember him ? I seem to recall we were in the annex for final year

hi other half
I remember kevin fazackerly my sister marilyn went out with him when we lived in milcote road, I think he had a an elder brother but I can't remember now.
regards
paul

hi izzy
I don't remember Mr Squires but feel I should as he would have been very rare then being a black teacher in an all white school, I always remember my career speech on leaving school by doc Jennings. Yow can goo t'a Cadburys as an apprentice, it's only 3 bob an hour tho'w, The Austin pays a quid an hour, but a big lad like yow should goo in th'a army. good luck!! so in the army I went. My youngest son William had 3/4 months of advice and lectuers and seminar's and meetings with propspective employers, and still went in the army, amazing really.
regards paul

Mr. Squires wasn't black, I remember him giving us lectures about leaving school & going out into the big wide world etc, I remember him saying we could ask any questions about anything so as usual the kids said 'tell us the facts of life sir' & he droned on about the birds & bees as back then that was all they were allowed to say of course.

It's odd when I read about smoking & how nobody supposedly knew the dangers until recently but I remember getting a lesson on the dangers where the teacher described in such graphic detail of how his father had died from lung cancer that it gave me nightmares.
I never took up smoking because of that,one of the good things the school did for me & yet I discovered on Friends Reunited that my schoolmate Eddie Maher had died of throat cancer & I remember him picking up 'nubends' when we were out & about & he rolled his own from the bits he picked up, of course there were no filters then so the bits he picked up would have been full of nicotine. Sad really

hi izzy
I too used to pick up nub ends and smoke them EEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
never thought anything about it then sounds totally revolting now. I got mixed up with Mr Pierre, and Mr Squires it happens a lot now had a small stroke in march, affects my spelling too.
regards
paul

Cheers Paul a name that triggered an image of a long time ago lol its funny I remember the name but not where he lived and yes he did have a brother we never got on lol

Hi Paul,

I think I have dredged up most of the teachers I'm going to remember except for a Mr Musgrave who had a first year class, was very fussy, and taught a little lad of character called Billy Dainter. I do remember Dr Jennings and his open-topped Morris Minor, of which I was very envious. He couldn't wait for the summer holidays, when he'd be off trailing his caravan round France, storing up tales for the forthcoming school year. I'm glad your son made a success of his education. You must have been doing something right! I'd guess your other kid(s) are just as much a credit in their different ways.

Hi Other Half,

I'm pretty sure it was Kevin. Did you know him?

My Husband left there in 1943 aged 14,does anyone remember Mr Cope,and an old pupil Reginald Broadfield

Jemina

Hi,
I also went to Ilmington Road Boys school. Left in 1961 & was in the same class as Victor Newey.One of the brighter ones in my class & writer of some good verse. Some very funny. Strange how things turn out. I never liked Sam Small & was talking to a friend about the school who never went there but who it turned out lived next door to him when young.
Who was the young guy who came about 1959 & took art? Hated PE & those showers with the water being turned hot & cold.
Had to mow the grass with Raymond Ellis for some reason.

One lunch waiting for second sitting at lunch time. Sam Small said no talking. My mother worked as a dinner lady & passed by doing some thing in the staff room. She spoke to me I answered. Got reported & Sammy Small gave the cane for talking.

Tony Sargent.

Told me he came from Ulster.

Hi,
I also went to Ilmington Road Boys school. Left in 1961 & was in the same class as Victor Newey.One of the brighter ones in my class & writer of some good verse. Some very funny. Strange how things turn out. I never liked Sam Small & was talking to a friend about the school who never went there but who it turned out lived next door to him when young. Told me he came from Ulster.
Who was the young guy who came about 1959 & took art? Hated PE & those showers with the water being turned hot & cold.
Had to mow the grass with Raymond Ellis for some reason.

One lunch waiting for second sitting at lunch time. Sam Small said no talking. My mother worked as a dinner lady & passed by doing some thing in the staff room. She spoke to me I answered. Got reported & Sammy Small gave me the cane for talking.

Tony Sargent.

hi all
I was bullied by a single guy for two years, I went in fear of this bloke whose name I cannot recollect. I think it was hodges any way one play time when I was waiting to go to Doc Jennings technical drawing class in the white nissen type buildings out the front of the school he started on me again. I was startled and swung the slide rule board round I was holding catching him full in the face he collapsed semi-comatosed with blood gushing every where. I was so supprised as lads rushed up congratulating me and slapping my back. then Mr Roberts appeared he was well over 6 foot tall with red hair grabbing me by my ear took me to sammy smalls office, I cannot believe this of you paul he kept repeating. When sammy appeared he took me in the office and gave me 6 stokes on each hand and 6 on the seat. Then looking me straight in the eye he said "well done"
it enhanced my status no end and the guy never bothered me again.
regards
paul

Back