• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. L

Balsall Common: HOLYHULL, Warwickshire

Thank you once again Carolina. Another gem from the Forum! In my town, they always say:"Ask a Local!". :angel::angel::angel:
  2. L

It is indeed interesting, and I am doing it especially on behalf of my mother--but I started when she was 80 yo and she is 94 this year! The 1851 Record has now been proven to be out of the picture, as that is a REAL John Smith! 1829 seems to be the proper birth date [see marriage below]-...
  3. L

Now Holly hall does interest me exceedingly. The enumerators seem to be more concerned with records than accuracy of location - such as nominating the family's residence in the 1881 Census as being in Ladywood, when I am told on this forum it should be Hockley!! My failure to find John Henry...
  4. L

Oops, sorry, I should probably have mentioned that my GG (and his brother) were born with the surname WESTON, but were thrown out of the family home after the family got tired of 'paying off' families of girls! Do I have proof? Only what my Grandmother said, and that my Grandfather, recorded...
  5. L

Some good ideas in the posts. Thank you. 1861 Census? there is a possible locksmith in Wednesbury, but his record is SMITH John Lodger U M 22 Locksmith Warwickshire - Birmingham Also, he could have been recruited in the 1850s for one of Victoria's Wars, and have been...
  6. L

Has anyone any ideas, please, as to where this place of HOLYHULL might be? John Smith, Journeyman, Unmarried, 24, Journeyman Locksmith, [where born] Warwicksh, Holyhull Source ancestry.com 1851 Census: Village of Portobello, Willenhall, Staffordshire HO107/2020 I have found a modern place...
  7. L

Chelsea Pensioners Online Searchable Documents

Hi fellow researchers.:hoteyes: I just stumbled upon a Friends of the National Archives website which provides easily searchable text lists of Chelsea Pensioners (name, place of birth, discharge age and date) in the WO 97 Series. Go to bps.freehosting.net. It has the complete list of the...
  8. L

St Martins, Birmingham 1829

Thank you so much, Shera, for your prompt reply (and lookup!). Another dead end!!!! Interestingly, I have been following up the previous 1841 thread suggestion, and discover that findmypast.co consistently records a birthdate of 1830 to the same person who is recorded as 1827, 1828 etc in...
  9. L

Thank you. Yes, he says his birthplace is BIRMINGHAM in the 1881 and 1891 Census. I feel I have trawled through every website known, including searching for WESTON families in the PINK Warwickshire Census Pages. His marriage certificate as JOHN SMITH says that his father was a LOCKSMITH and...
  10. L

Shera - a questrion to you, please. Is the familyseach.org record the same as your CD, or have you found the CD to be better? I have searched in vain for a JOHN WESTON born 1828-1829, even looking up to 1837, wihtout success. Lois from Australia
  11. L

Weston, Birmingham - Locksmith

Thank you all for your responses. I feel less lonely now! I tried to track ladylinda's response in ancestry.co, even entering "henrietta" in 1861 census search without success; then I found it later, adn thank you for that. Shows that ancestry.co isn't as reliable as I thought. My JOHN...
  12. L

Re: Weston, Birmingham - Locksmith - Sharing some of my further research by answering part of my own query: I have found a THOMAS WESTON who is a Key Maker. This has provided an avenue of research into the www.midlandshistoricaldata.org site, which I recommend highly. On the military history...
  13. L

The site is fascinating with current and historical info. Well done from Oz. My Great Great Grandfather was called (I believe) *** Weston. He was a LockSmith. To trace him, I am trying to trace my Great grandfather who was, variously, a Chelsea Pensioner (1879- son's birth in Ladywood), a...
Back