• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Weston, Birmingham - Locksmith

Lois

proper brummie kid
The site is fascinating with current and historical info. Well done from Oz.

My Great Great Grandfather was called (I believe) *** Weston. He was a LockSmith. To trace him, I am trying to trace my Great grandfather who was, variously, a Chelsea Pensioner (1879- son's birth in Ladywood), a soldier-deceased (son's wedding in 1909, Plymouth, Devon) and a Pensioner or Naval Pensioner in several census records. But, he changed his name to "John Smith" :redface:when thrown out of the family home for 'getting girls into trouble'. I have tracked his second marriage to Mary Ann Ellis (then Sheldon) in Portsmouth in 1875, to his death in Devon in 1894. He is recorded as 'John Smith' in Census Records of 1881 (321 Bridge Street West, Birmingham), 1891 (Prince Rock Inn, Charles, Devon).

:rolleyes:Without knowledge of his Regiment, Army researchers look blank. Surely there are obvious Regiments which Birmingham Boys joined, such as 6th Foot, or 1st Volunteers Battalion? Surely the British desire to keep records would see his Pension Records tucked away? I have brick wall syndrome, and amazement that I can see no other surname interests for the WESTON surname. Any suggestions on tracking him are welcomed.

Last edited:
Re: Weston, Birmingham - Locksmith -

Sharing some of my further research by answering part of my own query: I have found a THOMAS WESTON who is a Key Maker. This has provided an avenue of research into the www.midlandshistoricaldata.org
site, which I recommend highly. On the military history side, I have also discovered a journal for Stations of the British Army,
https://www.kw.igs.net/~fhoffman/STATIONS OF THE BRITISH ARMY.pdf
which lists where regiments are stationed in various years, in the above case, 1838. The Google Book, "Harts Annual Military List" does only refer to Officers, but shows the recruitment centres and is tantalising me, as I can't get information on Barracks in Birmingham or Coventry.

If any Brummies read this, a short note of encouragement would be really welcome, as, seeing zero comments to my first List makes me feel lonesome. You know, the new kid in the playground?

Cheers from Australia.:cool:

Hello lois, just joined this site tonight and have been looking at posts relating to the name Weston. weston was my maiden name and there are loads of us! don't know of any locksmiths but just wanted to say 'hello' - gill:)

Hi .. I have Weston Connections and dont know how or where . My
Great Grandmother lived with a Joseph Weston and had 6 children with him .. in 1912 to 1928 ish
It is said we have a bare fist boxing champ in the family by the name of Chaney Weston . Have you heard any of this . I would appreciate if we can swap info ?
Kind Regard Jean Grahame

Hi Lois. I am a Weston but im afraid there were no locksmiths in the family, my ancestors were shopkeepers or railway workers and a few in the gun trade

My recently deceased partner was a Weston from Halesowen. She was proud of the fact her grand father was the footballer Tommy Weston who played for Aston Villa back in the 1920's.
Just thought I would mention it in case it was part of someones jigsaw.

Hi there,have you seen this one?
Weston John 49 Head Locksmith born St Paul, Kent
Weston Henrietta 47 Wife born St George, Middlesex
Weston Martha Jy 19 Dau Pupil Teacher born St Marylebone
Weston Anne Esther 7 Dau Scholar born St Marylebone,
Weston John Slater 3 Son born St Marylebone,
all living at 93 Devonshire Street, Marylebone

Thank you all for your responses. I feel less lonely now!

I tried to track ladylinda's response in ancestry.co, even entering "henrietta" in 1861 census search without success; then I found it later, adn thank you for that. Shows that ancestry.co isn't as reliable as I thought.

My JOHN WESTON search is based back in Birmingham in 1828-1829, so the 1861 WESTON MAY be a relative, but a few generations away.

Happy New Year to all,
LOIS

Thank you all for your responses. I feel less lonely now!

I tried to track ladylinda's response in ancestry.co, even entering "henrietta" in 1861 census search without success; then I found it later, adn thank you for that. Shows that ancestry.co isn't as reliable as I thought.

My JOHN WESTON search is based back in Birmingham in 1828-1829, so the 1861 WESTON MAY be a relative, but a few generations away.

Happy New Year to all,
LOIS

I'm a WESTON born Birmingham 1937. See my 'Tree' on 'Tribal pages' WESTON ..Chainmakers of the Black Country.

I'm a Weston Shropshire, Bewdley, Kingswinford, Small Heath. See my tree On "My Heritage on the net" any contacts would be welcome.

Back