• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. W

Bordesley Park/ Cov Rd

Briliant Beamish you just described my early days in Bordesley Park Rd. Amazing how many sledged down from Mount Pleasant, as a child lived a house at the bottom of the sledge run they called them slums but my memories are all pleasant and all who lived there looked after one another. Cheering...
  2. W

Sheldon

Did anyone go dancing at the church hall at the top of Bilton Grange Rd. in Moat Lane in the sixties. It was held on Tuesdays I think. All rock and roll and twisting. woofy
  3. W

Definition of “Brummie”, “Astonian” etc

Hi ed smith re the best thing made in brum is more brummies , wheres the factory and any vacancies ? woofy
  4. W

Is it lawful for Jasper to say that in this day and age, I'm told the difference between illegal and unlawful is that unlawful is to knowingly break the law and illegal is a great big bird thats feeling poorly.
  5. W

A true brummy is having the sense of humour only found in Brum, and being able to speak the queens english like a brummy. See ya in a bit our kid.
  6. W

Sheldon

Hi Stars Great photo's I travelled on the 166 bus as a child and the lady boarding appears to be my gran with my mother behind her, used to live in Fallindale Rd. Also went to Sheldon school at this period and the radleys shops so thanks for posting them and keep...
  7. W

Old tractor

Hi its a Hinomoto tractor made in Japan one of the larger ones made I think. The colour and shape are the same as model E2304d. I don't have a tractor fetish just a ex brummie who got one in shed in Norfolk.
  8. W

Bordesley Park/ Cov Rd

Hi redken lived in one of those old houses with granparents name of Perkins . if the alleyway was near Coventry Rd. then a Johny lived in a house on the right surname of Nelder. May have slid down the slope with you sometime, we hit something at bottom once and turned the...
  9. W

Bordesley Park/ Cov Rd

Great photo's redken, as a child used to sledge down the slope from Mount Pleasant on corrugated steel sheet it was the roof of a air raid shelter I think. Also remember the little shop a family called the Nelders lived in the end house, Coventry Rd. end.
  10. W

Items that have faded away

Tried to buy a childs bow and arrow set today, the one with a rubber suction on the arrow and was told no can do as elf and safety says to dangerous
  11. W

Gun Quarter - Proposed Name Change

Great news , well done every one , this history forum and everyone in it should be proud that a part of Brums history has been saved because you cared enough to vote. woofy
  12. W

Gun Quarter - Proposed Name Change

Just returned from hols and signed, must admit I like Wendies idea of calling it The Old Gun Quarter that should please all concerned. woofy .
  13. W

Gun Trade Factories

Re: gun trade fatories Gun quarter. I have just read a report saying the Gun Quarter is to be renamed and known as St. Chad and St. George. The Gun Quarter is a mega part of the history of Birmingham and Brummies should be proud of its History. This is P.C. AT ITS VERY WORST. A gun is a machine...
  14. W

Bordesley green

Hi Manasseh sorry no photos, the pubs and the old school are still there but the rest long gone. Have a look at www.pbase.com/beppuu/old_bham. some cracking photos of old brum.
  15. W

Bordesley green

I used to walk along Gordon Street to get to the park opposite the Garrison Pub in the 50s. Grandparents lived in Artillary Steet in a Maisonette had great times playing in Wright Ropes factory climbing the bales used for making the rope. Theres a big railway shunting yard nearby if i remember...
  16. W

Worst car of the 1960's

Happy to say I did not have any cream with my car, my father was always working on his cars doing a decoke ? i think
  17. W

Worst car of the 1960's

I had a posh version of the Hillman Imp the Singer Chamois grey in colour, rear engine always overheating, on a journey through Cheddar Gorge she got so hot I stopped opened the rear boot and the radiator exploded hitting me in the chest causing severe burns to chest and arms, still got the...
  18. W

Green Lane Swimming Baths

Hi postie thats how i remember the baths went there every Saturday as a kid, in the new baths the diving board seemed sky high, hated the old baths though as you say cold all year round and bleak. Brylcreme was that for mods or rockers.
  19. W

Green Lane Swimming Baths

Hi I see on google earth the building are still standing are they still in use ? If so any photos of the inside about, over the entrances its got first class men, second class and women surely all brummies are first class. cheers
  20. W

meadway tavern

Cheers Phil great photo will raise a glass to you tonight. must be a lack of pubs in the area nowadays thanks again. woofy
Back