• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Gazzo

Hunt Alan .......Speedway

Re: Alan Hunt.......Speedway Big thanks Carolina.
  2. Gazzo

Hunt Alan .......Speedway

Looking for any details, info or stories relating to Alan.............he was my Uncle, tragically dying 8 years before I was born. Thanks in advance as usual. Gazzo.
  3. Gazzo

Adoptons. Birmingham 1960's.

Could anyone advise on how to access adoption records. A recently family death has unearthed an unknown family member who was given up for adoption at birth. The person in question would be 46 years of age now. Would like to know how far I can go before any contact has to be established.
  4. Gazzo

Bradshaw Jane - Where did you go?

Re: Jane Bradshaw - Where did you go? Pomgolian, I've always assumed that Jane was this Alexanders daughter because he had a younger sister called Jane (1856), the only issue is Alexanders career, Rule maker on census', mine says bricklayer on her marriage certificate. I think she seperated at...
  5. Gazzo

Rowley's Butchers, Smallheath.

Through the mists of time I recall a 7ton flatbed Bedford suffering brake failure c. 1974/75.
  6. Gazzo

Hi Phil, quite possible that they bought 'Hawkins' next door for the freezer centre. Looking at the photo in reference to the Lorry crash, Iassume that the junction in the photo was the one in question. P.S. Would this be in the Birmingham Mail archive?
  7. Gazzo

Well done Mike. I think there's still a shop in Erdington. My Dad was once told by Albert (Rowley) that the secret to his wealth was having a note pad next to his pillow in case he had an idea. My Dad said that all he kept next to his bed was the p*** pot because he was too tired after working...
  8. Gazzo

Hi Old Boy, Rowleys was on the corner of Muntz St/ Coventry Rd, must of been there at least from the fifties till the eighties. Albert Rowley (the old man) and his son Bob had about 9 or 10 shops round Brum. There was an incident in the early 70's when a big lorry drove through the front of the...
  9. Gazzo

My Father worked here for many years making their famous sausages. I used to travel from Northfield on the 60's to Highgate and get the No.8 on a Friday to pick up Mom's 'swag' bag. Even in the dark days of the 3 day week, meat was a great resource for bartering for sugar, bread or coal. Me a my...
  10. Gazzo

Rivers : Merritt’s Brook & Griffin’s Brook

Love looking at the old maps. A veritable feast for 'Time Team' fanatics. Shame all these great buildings are lost forever.
  11. Gazzo

Rivers : Merritt’s Brook & Griffin’s Brook

Can anybody help with who was Merritt or Griffin that these brooks were named after? Flowing into Bournbrook, unique that the same piece of water had 3 names in less than 3 miles. Also, does anybody have any details on Ley Hill House (Ex Kunzel residence) that used to be at the top of Ley Hill...
  12. Gazzo

Birmingham's Oldest Buildings.

Do we have a record of Brums oldest buildings ? How many are listed or protected. Searched the web and resources seem hard to find. Would be nice if we could do some pics aswell. :)
  13. Gazzo

Black History of Midlands - references etc

Unfortunately, Elizabeth 1 had dfferent ideas....... 16th centuryEarly in the 16th century Africans arrived in London when Catherine of Aragon travelled to London and brought a group of her African attendants with her[citation needed]. When trade lines began to open between London and West...
  14. Gazzo

Words into a sentence

Unfortunately Bernard in todays modern Britain you have now become a 'pseudo racist'. You are not allowed to mock the accent of the Black populace. Let's all put our Rose tinted spectacles on and go back to 1946 (tongue firmly in cheek !)
  15. Gazzo

old billesley

Cracking picture of 'The Valley' Mike.
  16. Gazzo

old billesley

The old 18 bus terminus opposite 'The Valley' pub............ https://www.photobydjnorton.com/HaunchLaneClr.jpg
  17. Gazzo

old billesley

The old bank, as is now........... https://www.birmingham-life.com/images/venues/124958.jpg
  18. Gazzo

Where is This? 184

Jewelry Quarter or Constitution Hill?
  19. Gazzo

old billesley

I was born in my Nans house on Hullbrook road in 1965. I have very fond memories of my childhood in Billesley and the surrounding areas especially the parks and pubs (pop and crisps please Grandad). I made the mistake of going back there last year for the first time in 20 years. What an unkempt...
  20. Gazzo

Gopsall Family in Birmingham

Just in case try the name variant Gopsill aswell.
Back