• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

Royal Warwickshire Regiment - Lebisey Normandy Memorial

Sorry about my previous comment about Bayeux. I should have written Caen museum. It is splendid. The Bayeux museum houses the tapestry. Well worth seeing though.
  2. B

If you have time the Bayeux war museum is excellent to visit.
  3. B

Coincidentally a great uncle of my husband is also remembered on the same wall.
  4. B

A cousin of my mother, Captain Joseph Coley was in the Warwickshires. His name is on the wall at Arras as no body was found.
  5. B

A cousin of my mother, Captain Joseph Coley was in the Warwickshires. His name is on the wall at Arras as no body was found.
  6. B

Marston Green Hospital

Hello. We have moved around a little but not that far.
  7. B

Marston Green Hospital

kmt My father was a Canadian soldier in WW2 and was hospitalised at Marston Green Military Hospital. batmadviv
  8. B

Stechford - The Village

Nick, the church was All Saints, Albert Road. From your description it sounds like it was the same gentleman. The vicar at that time was David Sansome.
  9. B

Grammar schools and comprehensives in Birmingham in the 50s and 60s.

I have the impression that all of the working class children who went to Grammar schools had parents who struggled to pay for our uniforms. I know my parents did as I was not the only member of my family who made it to grammar school. As the school I attended was over 3 miles from home...
  10. B

Grammar schools and comprehensives in Birmingham in the 50s and 60s.

Just like KRO it took time for me to grow in my uniform. 3 years later it fitted and it wasn’t worth buying another for the 5th and final year. I chuckle about it now but there was no fashion pressure that I noticed in those days except avid discussions about what Sandie Shaw or Cilla Black wore...
  11. B

Stechford - The Village

The teacher with nicotine stained hands was Mr Ebrey. He was my teacher when I was 8 years old. Alison Hjelter is my sister. Well remembered, particularly the spelling! I recognise some of the names you mentioned. Regards, Batmadviv
  12. B

Stechford - The Village

The photograph is a young version of the Margaret I knew when she worked at Deering’s. She was such a lovely kind helpful lady. She used to attend All Saints church in Albert Road as did my family who lived in Francis Road. My bedroom used to look out on to the back of Deering’s garage. Regards, Viv
  13. B

Stechford - The Village

. Hello Hannissey, Sorry for the tardy reply but have not been on the forum recently. I remember Judith Oakes as she was my younger sister’s age and Margaret who worked at Deering’s. Margaret used All Saints’ church as did we as a family. We lived at 47 Francis Road which overlooked...
  14. B

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Snicket and Ginnel are words used in Yorkshire for what we call Alley.
  15. B

Denton Grove Stechford Revisited

Hi Alan, I remember the Workman family as I was at school with the second daughter. Unfortunately she died a couple of years ago. Regards, batmadviv
  16. B

Stechford - The Village

I remember Holtom's as a baker's shop. I was at Stechford Primary School just a few yards along the road with the granddaughter of the baker in the 1950s. Happy days. It was such a lovely village in those days. batmadviv
  17. B

Language

Words go out of fashion if they are not used. Similarly incorrect forms of speech creep in if they are used. Terry Wogan on his Radio 2 morning programme regularly used to highlight 'sat sitting' 'stood standing' with the comment 'What's happening to the English language?' I still say Railway...
  18. B

Language

I still think of Heartlands Hospital as Little Bromwich Hospital but refer to it as Heartlands as most people would not know it as Little Brom. Is the Hospital in Yardley Green Rd still known as the Chest Hospital or the Fever Hospital or the TB Hospital? In our working class home 'dinner' was...
Back