• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Denton Grove Stechford Revisited

Tallyarver

Hi Guys. This is my first post as a newbie member.

I have been chatting privately to forum member Dennis Williams whose Nan and Grandad lived next door to me in Denton Grove. In 2010 he uploaded an image going back to the 1930s of a street party and several other relevant items.

I am resurrecting this thread with the attached images, taken in the hard winter of 1979. They show the entrance and the exit to the Grove.

I lived there from 1962 to 1979. I remember many families who lived there, namely Workman, Williams (as above) Gamble, Day, Nickless and Pedlingham, to name a few, and later in the 70s Hunt, Hughes, Nolan and Dewell.

Im looking for anyone who has there own memory of the road, maybe you were friends or relatives with people who lived there in the 60s and 70s? Perhaps you had memories of some of the local shops?( Toys the ironmonger, Parrs the greengrocers, Tony Smith the newsagent, and Lambros the chip shop owner).

If you have any local photographs I would be very interested to see them.

Thanks for reading this. I hope to hear from somebody in due course!

Regards

Alan Tarver

Attachments

• Denton Grove 1.jpeg
    Denton Grove 1.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Denton Grove 2.jpeg
    Denton Grove 2.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 33
Hi Alan, I have no memories of the Grove, but I do know Mr Pedlingham that lived there, he is a relative of mine.

Hi Guys. This is my first post as a newbie member.

I have been chatting privately to forum member Dennis Williams whose Nan and Grandad lived next door to me in Denton Grove. In 2010 he uploaded an image going back to the 1930s of a street party and several other relevant items.

I am resurrecting this thread with the attached images, taken in the hard winter of 1979. They show the entrance and the exit to the Grove.

I lived there from 1962 to 1979. I remember many families who lived there, namely Workman, Williams (as above) Gamble, Day, Nickless and Pedlingham, to name a few, and later in the 70s Hunt, Hughes, Nolan and Dewell.

Im looking for anyone who has there own memory of the road, maybe you were friends or relatives with people who lived there in the 60s and 70s? Perhaps you had memories of some of the local shops?( Toys the ironmonger, Parrs the greengrocers, Tony Smith the newsagent, and Lambros the chip shop owner).

If you have any local photographs I would be very interested to see them.

Thanks for reading this. I hope to hear from somebody in due course!

Regards

Alan Tarver
Hi Alan,
I remember the Workman family as I was at school with the second daughter. Unfortunately she died a couple of years ago.
Regards,
batmadviv

Hi we lived at no 15 the Dewell's . Mom n dad lived there for many years we had moved from Yardley green road. Loved lambros chippy last I heard he was still alive living in Cyprus. Ritsa hairdressers was another old shop and is still there now. My dad frequented the Richmond pub, still see Martin Workman very good friend of my hubby.
Regards
Sue

Hi we lived at no 15 the Dewell's . Mom n dad lived there for many years we had moved from Yardley green road. Loved lambros chippy last I heard he was still alive living in Cyprus. Ritsa hairdressers was another old shop and is still there now. My dad frequented the Richmond pub, still see Martin Workman very good friend of my hubby.
Regards
Sue

Our family moved from Yardley Green Road to Belchers Lane and then to Francis Road. I used to walk along Albert Road to the 14 bus to go to school with Rita Workman and Corinne Campbell from Winstanley Road. Many years later I taught Martin's daughter Samantha and met Martin one parents' evening.
My father used to frequent the Richmond too and knew Dennis Williams.
After attending Guides at the YWCA it was not unheard of to pop into Lambros's for a 6 of chips to eat on the way home.

Some nice old photies.....

Attachments

• Denton Grove above copy.jpg
    Denton Grove above copy.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Denton Grove People 1935 .jpg
    Denton Grove People 1935 .jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Denton Grove-Village 1950.jpg
    Denton Grove-Village 1950.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 1955 Pt 1 Denton Grove copy.jpg