• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Anne Watton

Kingshurst

I remember Whirlygigs, soft toffee in a long, curly shape covered in chocolate. As soon as you bit in to them the chocolate started dropping off. Was a con really, notmuch in them but appeared to be bigger than they were. Does anyone remember Big K creamy Banana ice lollies about 1973? I loved them!
  2. Anne Watton

Kingshurst

My brother worked at Lynne's Candy Cabin in the precinct. I remember The Co-op, The Spot, Harry Hodgkiss butchers, Fosters, The Opticians where I had my ears pierced when I was 13. Any more?
  3. Anne Watton

Lives Of The First World War - Remember Your Relative

What a fantastic photo, my husband's Gt Uncle Joseph Watton who was in the Australian army in the 1st World War!
  4. Anne Watton

Yardley Cemetery Map

I have to say, Yardley cemetery have been so helpful in confirming the location of my Aunt's grave. Anne
  5. Anne Watton

Yardley Cemetery Map

Thanks Dwilly, Just found out my Aunts grave number, the map was really useful. She is buried very close to my parents and baby brother, which we didn't know. She was only 17 when she died in childbirth. Her baby survived, so sad! Anne
  6. Anne Watton

Old street pics..

The milkman came every day to us in Kingshurst, and the baker. The Corona pop man came once a week as did Davenports and the veggie man plus the portable chip van. Used to have 6d worth of chips plus some batter bits. Yuck, no wonder I have high cholesterol!
  7. Anne Watton

Old street pics..

Stera was a bit like UHT now, we only used stera in tea, never drank coffee (only camp in the sixties} and pass was used as a drink, or with cornflakes. My GDad asked me if I wanted a glass of milk and gave me stera, out of respect, I drank it but it was hard. Anne
  8. Anne Watton

Old street pics..

I wouldn't fancy being in that brew house. Full Stop! How spoilt are we nowadays?
  9. Anne Watton

The chimney sweep

Hello Old Boy, the only way to find out if you hadn't had your chimney swept was when it caught fire, the fire brigade came and you were in trouble. I saw one sweep recently who gives a certificate to prove he's been. As you say an insurance company would use it as an excuse. especially if they...
  10. Anne Watton

The chimney sweep

To be honest, how cruel is that?
  11. Anne Watton

The chimney sweep

Oooh FarmerDave, what are you like? Might save myself £60 next year and put greedy Gertie down the chimney. She's the one who comes running when I go outside. So funny to see her running as fast as she can to get to the food first. Just gave them the leftover Sunday dinner What do you farm?
  12. Anne Watton

The chimney sweep

When you think about it, one coal fire to heat a three bedroom flat. Waking up to frost on the windows Brrrr. Fortunately, my bedroom was the other side of the wall where the fire was, I used to snuggle up to the warm wall. Nowadays people in this country think they are hard done by if they have...
  13. Anne Watton

The chimney sweep

Thanks Alan, I will ask him next time. Asked my husband who is a keen gardener and he says he has heard soot is good for the garden, regards Anne
  14. Anne Watton

The chimney sweep

Good idea anvil man, does it work? Nowadays they take the soot with them. Ha Ha Norfolk brummie. Anne
  15. Anne Watton

The chimney sweep

We had our chimney flue swept a couple of weeks ago, have it done every year. My friend has never had her chimney swept and she's lived in the house over thirty years. Our chimney caught fire in 1950s I remember the fire brigade had to come. I seem to remember you could be fined if you didn't...
  16. Anne Watton

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Barbarellas was off Broad Street opposite Lee Longlands. I worked there when it first opened.
  17. Anne Watton

Erdington postmen heroes remembered

Well Done Lyn. You are a STAR !!!!!
  18. Anne Watton

Brilliant! Well Done!!!!
  19. Anne Watton

Wow Lyn, Who would have thought that your original post two weeks ago would have resulted in this! Massive WELL DONE everyone!!!
  20. Anne Watton

Well done Lyn and everyone else. Very proud of you all. Great team spirit!
Back