• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kingshurst

I only know the area from driving along the road that runs past but do recall it being built. t was a much wooded area if my memory serves me correctly.

The c1938 map just shows fields

map_c_1938_part_cooks_lane_area.jpg

I have lived in Chelmsley for 45 years now and the land that Lark meadow Drive estate was built on was just fields and woodland.
I am trying to remember when it was built on.
My husband has been in his present job 21 years and a work colleague lived there, also my son had a friend move in there I think that would be
Alberta.

I remember when Chelmsley Wood was, a wood that is. It was a magical place if you managed to keep away from the pigs!!!

kingshurst in the sixties seventies was a lovely place to grow up.i can remember the woods before they were built on,also elm don. It's quite a bit different these days, still great memories .

Thanks again everyone for all the replies. Lots of interesting information, and the map was great. My recollection of when the Lark Meadow estate was built was the early to mid-1990s, but I can't put an exact date on it. No one has made any mention of the Kingshurst Parade's that used to take place every year, or the events that used to be held on Babbs Mill. What about the Lions who still bring the Father Christmas float around the estate? When did that start? The fair was a regular visitor until it was moved to Chelmsley Wood. I'm told that in the early day's of Babbs Mill as a park there used to be a pitch and putt up by the Yorkswood end. Part of the land is very undulating up there, and a pitch and putt would make sense. Youth Afloat used to have the Boat House and youngsters from the area used to learn to canoe on the lake. More photos of any and all these would be great, as well as any other maps. Local characters would be interesting to talk about too. Thanks again. John

I lived on kingshurst, went to the juniors and onto cooks lane high school.
very sad to see it looking like it does went back a few months ago, not impressed.

Thanks Bobg. My son and daughter both went to Fordbridge Infant School and Kingshurst Juniors, and remember Mrs Griffiths, Head Teacher at Fordbridge and Mr Taylor, who liked the horses, at Kingshurst Juniors. Any further memories or photos anyone?

hi lyn, I moved to Kingshurst as a 7 year old with my family in 1959-60. we moved from 3/45 (Wellington Terrace), Park Road, Hockley to a middle floor flat in Foxwood Grove. I remember the fish n chip van because there was no chip shop and only prefabricated shops while the centre was being built

Hi Dianne.. I lived on Kingshurst from early 60s to 1975 but mom & dad remained there. Lynne Cartwright lived next door to us & i was good friends with her sister Susan. Lynne lives in Overgreen Drive & works in The Parade. Myself & my brother used to be in the window every Sunday afternoon waiting anxiously for the sweet van to arrive but do you remember a chocolate bar that he sold, 12 for a shilling, in a white paper bag, called whirlygigs. I am longing for someone to remember them as my partner thinks i am going dulally, we have searched for them without any luck. He thinks i am making them up!

hi Diane I too lived on kingshurst in the same times my sister used to work in the newsagents but i vaguely remember the sweet van

My brother worked at Lynne's Candy Cabin in the precinct. I remember The Co-op, The Spot, Harry Hodgkiss butchers, Fosters, The Opticians where I had my ears pierced when I was 13. Any more?

I remember Whirlygigs, soft toffee in a long, curly shape covered in chocolate. As soon as you bit in to them the chocolate started dropping off. Was a con really, notmuch in them but appeared to be bigger than they were. Does anyone remember Big K creamy Banana ice lollies about 1973? I loved them!

My parents along with my older sister and late brother moved from Small Heath (Cattel Road) to Kingshurst in 1961.
I was born in Kingshurst in 1961 and moved to The Cotswolds in 1984.
During my time there, I have seen a lot of changes, especially since Solihull Council took control of the estate in the 80's.
My Mother still lives in the house I was born in, and it is quieter now than it has ever been. A lot of the "problem families" (the council's words, ot mine!) were moved over to Chelsmley Wood when it was built.
I went to school at Kingshurst County Infants School, then Kingshurst County Junior School and finally Kingshurst Comprehensive School (aka Cooks Lane School) which I left in 1977.

I remember The Parade when it was a decent place to shop, the Youth Club, the parks, the building of Kingshurst Lake, the re-landscaping of Babbs Mill from the lake upto the bridge at Cooks Lane (by the old "alsation farm") and my favourite place - The Toby Jug!
My sister married a local lad at St. Barnabas Church in 1977, the day that Virginia Wade won Wimbledon!
I can remember some of the festivities for The Jubilee in '77, the fairs and Carnivals at Fordbridge Park and have many fond memories of my childhood.
I also have memories of the fights between the "Greasers" and the "Skinheads" on the green outside of my house near Redwood House flats, especially the day my 3 cricket stumps were pulled from the ground and used as weapons!
Hi I was at Kingshurst Comp 1972-1977.Yvonne Gower, I was in Dean House. I remember Mr Sankey (English) Miss Lineham (RE) Miss Corbett (PE) Mr Bailey (science) Mr Bevan and Mr George.

hi
I grew up on kingshurst(born in saltley) as you say it was a good place to grow up ,the mountford was the place be where all the greasers used to hang out having scraps with the glebe ,the lake was and still is a lovely place taking the pubs away is a great idea we could even walk to elmdon through the woods, not any more!im glad I movedto cornwall ,it’s still nice to go and visit kingshurst now and again though great times with great mates.

hi
I grew up on kingshurst(born in saltley) as you say it was a good place to grow up ,the mountford was the place be where all the greasers used to hang out having scraps with the glebe ,the lake was and still is a lovely place taking the pubs away is a great idea we could even walk to elmdon through the woods, not any more!im glad I movedto cornwall ,it’s still nice to go and visit kingshurst now and again though great times with great mates.
My Wife and family lived on Kingshurst but we also ended up here in Cornwall. My late Brother in Law used to take many of the local children to their various Schools on his coaches when I briefly worked for him.

Hi I was at Kingshurst Comp 1972-1977.Yvonne Gower, I was in Dean House. I remember Mr Sankey (English) Miss Lineham (RE) Miss Corbett (PE) Mr Bailey (science) Mr Bevan and Mr George.
Hi, you must have been a Yr younger than me. Mr Hughes PE. I. Was in Charlecote lower wing. Remember Mrs Gough lol locked me in the cupboard, Geography teacher. Shame been back to Kingshurst. Not the same place I grew up, sad. Chelmsley Wood was being built, remember going over Cooks Lane as all the footings were going in. Memories, but you move on.

Hi, you must have been a Yr younger than me. Mr Hughes PE. I. Was in Charlecote lower wing. Remember Mrs Gough lol locked me in the cupboard, Geography teacher. Shame been back to Kingshurst. Not the same place I grew up, sad. Chelmsley Wood was being built, remember going over Cooks Lane as all the footings were going in. Memories, but you move on.
I got topped in to play rugby. Mr George or Bevan, the Welsh. One. Mr Loft was Maths, I was in Mr Bullivents in Charlecote. Great character.

Hi, I live on Cooks Lane and we back onto the Babbs Mill Parkland/ Nature Reserve. We have a housing estate that runs at the back of us and our garden just misses backing straight onto the park. You access this estate opposite the Texaco now Esso petrol garage. We haven't been here long and I wondered what was there before these houses were built as its like a field at the back of us where we walk our dogs. Could it have belonged to a farm as the original fence is still in place in one part and you can also see the chimneys of Sheldon Hall at the top end of the field. I would love to know if anyone can remember, not sure how long this housing estate has been here as we have only been here a year?
Thanks Karen
hi I grew up in the 60s and 70s playing in the fields sometime had cows but mainly wheat field s- the farm was owned by Mr Bartlett who lived in farm house which is now old farm close - The new housing estate was bult in two tranches - the first approx 25 year ago and the next near Hilside Drive about 15 years ago . The lake was made in about 1970 when they diverted the river cole a few yards and made the lake - we watched it being flooded as kids

Back