• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Nice photo Carolina. Don't think I've seen a photo of Corporation St with an island in the centre before, especially as the traffic is going in the same direction on both sides. Viv.

I have a vague recollection of the island in the middle to allow pedestrians to cross. Picture would be late 1940s just possibly first few years of the 1950s.

Hi carol
Great for you to put them up for us especially others have not seen them I was contemplating last week with that one
But my scanner packed up I do recall that time of that street with the island so I could not put it up
I was holding yesterday but never got the scanner should have it by the week end and then I can transfers a lot I promised
Last week which Ian sure a lot of people will like and may be it will bring back more pic of what we lost through the high way robbers
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,Alan,,,,,,

Do you see where the tram is well very soon they will be digging up that section of the road for the new tram track that will be laid, I was there when they dug up the other side I was able to see this https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/14610073661/in/set-72157632777301645
not tram track but the tram sleeper, now the hope is to be there when the dig the other side up https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/14606880002/in/set-72157632777301645/

This lovely photo of an unknown court in Birmingham was posted on the Facebook page. Click on photo for a larger image.

Attachments

• Unknown Birmingham.jpg
    Unknown Birmingham.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 157
Looks like 2 bottles of sterilised milk on the doorstep of the first house. Did stera keep better if you didn't have a fridge? Viv.

Looks like 2 bottles of sterilised milk on the doorstep of the first house. Did stera keep better if you didn't have a fridge? Viv.

Vivienne14, "sterra" was a Brummie milk and you did not need a fridge to keep it in. You can still get it in a few shops (my father in law only uses it in his tea) still sold in glass bottles!!

Me too Paul, but it was Aston for us, 1961/1964.
We also had a brew house like that, thankfully didn't have to use it. It was used for storing the dustbins in.

I recollect that my mother preferred stera, not only because we didn't have a fridge, but because it coloured the tea better! These days of low fat pasteurised milk, the tea (if we drank it at all) would hardly be coloured! We both tend to drink coffee, mine black because I am allergic to milk, and if I rarely drink tea it is lemon tea! How times change.

Maurice

Stera was a bit like UHT now, we only used stera in tea, never drank coffee (only camp in the sixties} and pass was used as a drink, or with cornflakes. My GDad asked me if I wanted a glass of milk and gave me stera, out of respect, I drank it but it was hard. Anne

The milkman came every day to us in Kingshurst, and the baker. The Corona pop man came once a week as did Davenports and the veggie man plus the portable chip van. Used to have 6d worth of chips plus some batter bits. Yuck, no wonder I have high cholesterol!

Thanks all. We never had pasteurised milk. I grew up thinking stera was the only milk! When I first had pasteurised I couldn't stand it, thought it tasted disgusting. Now drink it and got used to it, just as well because we can't get it. We didn't have the pop man or the beer man but did have the Co-op bread man. The vans had sloping shelves inside. We always had a milk roll from him. Viv.

Well going off topic too we had stera because it lasted and we didn't have a fridge. Mum got passed your eyes if she wanted to do a dessert and took the cream off the top off the milk. She worked and usually missed the milkman He used to put the milk in the corner away from the sun to keet it better. We had milk in cartons on caravan holidays which tasted of cardboard. My grandparents had a brew house in stourbridge, they called it the scullery and was separate to the kitchen. They had a veranda built to link them up.There is the remains of a brew house in my house next to the kitchen which is now the kitchen. In the picture is is mud or cinders in the yard?

Not sure how street pictures became a stera milk debate, but in our house it was used to make baked milk rice puddings, you know with the "well done" skin on top.

We always had stera milk too, it made the best rice pudding in the world. Trouble with it in tea, was it often had skin floating in it.

Well were right off topic aren't we but when we first got our fridge mid 60's it was turned up too high and the stera froze, mum said don't drink it, but me thinking it was the same as a milk lolly did, was I bad!

I am no help to you being a plastic Brummie but there is a Showell Green in Doritwich. Was/is Showell Green a place?

This is ONLY a guess but there is an "Avenue Club" and a Weoley Avenue just off Bristol Road. But would it have been so built up that far out of the city so long ago

devonjim, I don't think the trams deviated from the Bristol Road and I am pretty sure they never went down Weoley Avenue. The Avenue Social Club is now a Private Club.
jimbo

Back