• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

Massey-Arran

Does anyone have any information about 'Massey-Arran' motorcycles, they were made in Birmingham in the early 1920's?
  2. B

Forward Radiators - Cherrywood Road

I found the following on - Grace's Guide. 1958 Standard Motor Co acquired Mulliners Holdings, which had a controlling interest in Forward Radiator Co and also Mulliners Ltd.
  3. B

BOOK - can't find this book anywhere?

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31223971215&cm_sp=SEARCHREC-_-WIDGET-L-_-BDP-R&searchurl=ds%3D20%26kn%3DBryan%2BDrew%26sortby%3D17 Is this the one?
  4. B

Birmingham buses

Impressive. Thanks for posting.
  5. B

Lucas products and services

Car Lighting Services were on the Moseley road as you say. I think the owner was Harold Brown.
  6. B

Lucas products and services

The other premises for A T Gittins was on Aston Road north called UNIMAG, Universal, Magneto and Electrical, Diesel services. There was another depot in Worcester called Auto, Electrical, Services.
  7. B

Birmingham Canal Boatmen: struggle for improved working conditions.

Great. An interesting article. Thanks for the posting.
  8. B

Birmingham Canal Boatmen: struggle for improved working conditions.

Hi Pedro, can you tell me where the link is that Alfred Ash was Chairman of FMC please. I have read all the articles on here but I can't see a link between Ash and FMC. Many thanks Bob.
  9. B

Hockley GWR Station

Scribbans' bakery.
  10. B

Petrol pumps & filling stations of the past

Great picture, thanks for posting it.
  11. B

Petrol pumps & filling stations of the past

I remember a Hawthorn garage on the Chester road opposite Sutton park. I Remember going there in the early seventies, it was an Alfa Romeo agency. It is now called Sutton Park Renault.
  12. B

Bramah Works

Did this site become the home of Guest Keen and Nettlefolds?
  13. B

Motorcycle Shops

The 2LS brake that was made for motorcycles was cable operated.
  14. B

Motorcycle Shops

I must dig out a video of me being transported in a Tuk-Tuk whilst in India. Not something I wish to repeat.
  15. B

Motorcycle Shops

I wonder why that form of transport didn't catch on in UK? Thanks for the pic, I don't recognise him. Is this the same person who made 2LS front brakes for Triumph/Bsa's?
  16. B

Motorcycle Shops

Hi Morturn, your location and description of the house fits into my image from when I visited in the sixties. Any idea how he made a living, was he able to survive on the sales of motorcycle parts alone?
  17. B

Motorcycle Shops

Does anyone remember Rob (Bob) Collier of Erdington? Bob lived in Wood end road. I visited his house during the mid-sixties with a friend who was after motorcycle spares. I recall that the garden resembled a scrap yard with bikes and cars stacked on top of each other. I can't recall meeting Bob...
  18. B

Anyone recognise this building?

My two pennerth is that the concrete building on the left is the stage door/goods inwards of the repertory theatre. The two tower blocks are both on Cambridge st, the one on the left is Norton tower, the one on the right is Crescent tower.
  19. B

Pickfords

I worked at the wood lane depot as contractor in the 70s. Bert Scholes was the depot manager. No idea when it closed.
  20. B

Motorcycle Shops

169097 is Gray's motorcycles, Wellington road. In the sixties on the other side of Wellington road was company called - S.P.D .
Back