• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. R

westbrook house/westbrook farm

When I was about 8 (1965) a schoolfriend of mine lived there. His father was Dr Morgan. The Morgans were not brummies and moved in about 1966 to Trumpington in Cambridgeshire. If I remember correctly the house then lay empty. I recall visiting there quite often and even slept over on a few...
  2. R

The Swan and Red Lion, Church Street - Bread Street

Does this mean the picture is actually of the Swann on the corner of Great Charles Street looking up Church Street?
  3. R

Where is he buried?

That's very interesting Brian. I have had a little more progress today and have photographed the relevant entry in the Burial register which certainly shows he was interred in plot 618. The problem now is that I have also inspected the plans for section T and there isn't a plot 618 in it. The...
  4. R

Where is he buried?

Wendy, thank you for that. I followed up on this yesterday and went to Handsworth Cemetry. The computer printout that they gave me indicated section F plot 618 as you said, but with a '?ERROR' printed next to it. I then went down to Warstone Lane to take a look but could see no evidence...
  5. R

Where is he buried?

Suzanne, that is very interesting. Where are the Warstone Lane records held please? Richard
  6. R

Identity Tag - Royal Warwickshire

Thanks Alan, where did you pick the information up about him being a fruiterer and greengrocer? I did know this, but wasn't aware it was in any public records. His wife, my father and his brother kept the shop going until she died and decimalisation arrived. I still have quite a number of...
  7. R

I have always known the significance of the TynOTCot memorial, especially having visited it on several occasions over the past 38 years. I didn't know there were two tags though, and that does explain why I found it here. Thank you very much for your responses. Richard
  8. R

Sorry for my poor keyboard skills. On previous posting Hid=Hi ! Richard
  9. R

Hid Old Boy, Had the response to my posting been that only one tag was ever issued then I would have wondered how it came about that it was returned. Of course there were often times bodies could not be recovered during action so it is quite possible tags could have been collected on...
  10. R

My grandfather, George Grimmett, served with the 11th Battalion of the Royal Warwickshire and was killed on 24th September 1917. He is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial at Paschaendale. I have recently gone through my late father's effects (he was born in 1916, died 2006) and found an...
  11. R

Where is he buried?

Suzanne, I am a bellringer at St Martin's too and have long been interested in those who have rung there before me. We have a rich culture of stories passed down over the generations - and are fortunate that some of our predecessors have written these down. Richard
  12. R

Where is he buried?

Suzanne: thanks very much. He was recognised as a bellringing genius. Bellringing is all based on maths and the neglish style originated from maths dons from Cambridge University in the early 1600s working on group and set theory. Thurstans cracked a problem that hundreds before him over a...
  13. R

Turkish Bath in Handsworth

The building has been demolished, with the exception of the facade that was retained. I learned to swim there during the 60s and remember eating wagon wheels in the cafe after saturday morning sessions.
  14. R

Where is he buried?

Thanks Shortie, I will follow up and let you know. Thank you for your time and input! Richard
  15. R

Where is he buried?

Wendy: Thanks for that but I am 100% convinced that is not him. I have found his death record and have paid and am awaiting a copy from the GRO. He died in Autumn 1858. He was a bellringer at St Martin's in the Bullring and at St Philip's, and a fellow bellringer of the day wrote: "In the...
  16. R

City And Midland Arcades

And during the 60s wasn't there also a school uniform shop on the first floor of the adjoining building on New Street? Hornes?
  17. R

Bull Ring now Bullring

Regrettably the church also seems to be in on the act of name changing - see their website at https://www.bullring.org/ Richard
  18. R

Where is he buried?

I am researching a man by the name of Thomas Thurstans who lived in Church Street, Birmingham during the first half of the 19th century. In Autumn 1858 he was taken ill and died in hospital (I think the general). He had no family and was given a paupers grave. Where would this have been, and...
Back