• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

westbrook house/westbrook farm

brummie60

master brummie
hi does anyone have any information or photos of westbrook house/ farm which was situated at the east end of aston parish church, thanks,steve

HI BRUMMIE
What years are we thinking of the farm at east end of the parish
i myself cannot recall a farm down there ;
i only know of one farm called westbrook and that was a prison farm ,and that was over frankly
but since the privatation of prisons its no longer takes or uses prisoners
it is called westwood farm which is still there ;
may be it was the old fair ground along side the aston church on aston hall rd
i would be very intrested to find out about it and to its where abouts
may be one of our members can shed light on your request , but i would certainly like to find out
best wishes astonion;;

Brummie 60

I understand that Westbrook House / Farm was on Aston Lane, close to the east end of Aston Church churchyard. It was built in the 17th century on the site of a medieval building. It was demolished in 1977.

Phil

Thanks for the information about westbrook house/farm,I d never heard of it before,does anybody have any photos of the building prior to it being demolished, steve

Hi Brummie60
I've got that snippet about Westbrook Farm on my History of Birmingham on your Doorstep - https://billdargue.jimdo.com/william-dargue-s-history-of-birmingham-on-your-doorstep/ - So it must be on the Birmingham Sites & Monuments Record which is maintained by the City Archaeologist, Mike Hodder. I've always found him very accommodating, so it's probably worth dropping him a line or an email - https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Sa...=BCC/Common/Wrapper/CFWrapper&rendermode=live.
Bill

When I was about 8 (1965) a schoolfriend of mine lived there. His father was Dr Morgan. The Morgans were not brummies and moved in about 1966 to Trumpington in Cambridgeshire. If I remember correctly the house then lay empty. I recall visiting there quite often and even slept over on a few occasions. I can see the bread ovens now, in the walls, and the wide old floor boards. I slept in a large bedroom at the front of the house close to the churchyard and was spooked by the creaking boards and the church bell striking the hours. It was a troubled area even then. The garden was fairly overgrown, but the play equipment installed by the Morgans was tall and from the top I could see that all the garden walls were topped with broken glass to deter intruders. On one trip I accompanied the family to the church fete held in the gardens of a large victorian property which I always thought was the vicarage, but I might be mistaken.

Back