• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

PTE JAS. (JAMES) JOSEPH BROWN, 7998, WORCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

Janice, Sorry for the confusion. Peter questioned my 1911 Census for James and on rechecking I found that in fact was wrongly named James when fact he was Joseph, with the number 8057. So my research was following the wrong man. Hence trying to check if my James in 1911 Census was the one...
  2. M

Janice, Happy New Year. Thank you, I couldn't find anything on FindMyPast either. I'll try another Forum I am a member of, to see if they can find anything. David
  3. M

Just doing an update search on one of "my soldiers" and on ForcesWarRecords I came across 2 new records. Incident date 01/05/1917 listing him as "Deserter/absentee from his Majesty's Service". Offence date 07/04/1917 Devonport. Reference Police Gazette. Incident date 08/05/1917. Police Gazette...
  4. M

Pte Ernest Arthur BOURNE, 204034 Worcestershire Regiment.

Not sure what the revellance is here?
  5. M

Janice, Thank you. Between you and MWS you have dotted the i's and crossed the t's. Really appreciate your research skills. David
  6. M

MWS, Excellent, thank you. All I have to do now is try and trace his movements from 1950 to 1977. With all of your finds it will make this easier, still work in progress. Again your research skills have put meat on the bones. All the very best, David
  7. M

Thank you. What do you think about the other dates, do you think they are our man or someone else? I still can't find anything for 1901 and since 1911 he seems to be Arthur?
  8. M

Yes I found the above working backwards from your earlier information. I have also drawn a blank for 1901 and 1939 so presently not able to tie him into any of the other electoral rolls.
  9. M

MWS, Thank you for that. Where did you find names of Father, Mother and siblings please? I have searched high and low and couldn't find any census data?
  10. M

Lyn, No relation, just a research project. David
  11. M

Help please. Trying to confirm when he was born and where he lived. Pension records indicate he lived at 26, Denbigh St., Bordsley Green, Birmingham. His next of kin is mother, Elizabeth. On electoral roll 1918 - 1930 at 26 Denbigh St. Is he living at 33, Cyril Road, Sparkbrook in 1933, 8...
  12. M

George Blackham 11220 Worcestershire R and 389136 Labour Corp.

MWS, A well presented case which you argue very coherently. I don't consider your opinion irrelevant in the slightest. I will check the signatures but from memory they were not overly clear. I have found this journey very challenging and have been appreciative of both you and Janice 's...
  13. M

MWS, If John served then he was discharged as not suitable, than allowed to enlist and serve for 11 years. No medical records to compare. Says not married but was and collects "George's" pension! Than emigrates. What about drink problem. George is the good guy but just disappears after 1921...
  14. M

John William Blackham enlisted on 19 October,1903 at B'ham. he was already serving in the Militia, 5th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Served 85 days, discharged "not likely to become an efficient soldier" on 11 January, 1904. Served in the Cheshire Regiment, 7258 as a Pte. Not the...
  15. M

Sorry just saw your obituary for John William Blackham.I will check tomorrow if he is in the Worcestershire Regiment. Let's see where that takes us.
  16. M

Thank you both. You have been very busy. Yes he appears on 1891/1901 census at the address of John and Emma. I don't think the address appears on his enlistment papers but I will check tomorrow night. I am really not sure at all. I have my doubts though because of his drinking habit I think he...
  17. M

Thank you both. Some of his papers are on Findmypast. He is confirmed in 1911 Census in India with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. There is an Employment sheet dated 1913. So couldn't be in Canada. He signed up for 12 years, 7 yrs with the colours and 5 in reserve. 7 yrs would take...
  18. M

Certainly a lot of conflicting information. I wonder if he uses addresses to suit his circumstances having no fixed abode. Another George marries in 1907 who is living at the address our George also uses. When he enlisted he states he is single, on all of the pension papers he is single...
  19. M

Janice, I'm in France and thought that was the problem. It's been a week! Anyway here we go. On his transfer papers to the Labour Corp. they make reference to him "has a drink problem". His charge sheet from 1908 until 1915 shows only drink related charges. So if his marriage is correct , right...
  20. M

MWS, Janice, Sorry I have not replied sooner but my previous messages were getting lost in the ether. I need to get out the information I have been able to assemble so I will do this this evening. I have another address for 1921 for him. David
Back