• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. P

WW2 Bombed Buildings Where new BCFC stadium is to be Built.

The site where the new BCFC is to be built originally had several brick works there, plus of course part of the Morris Commercial works, and Milliner's coachbuilders who did a lot of military vehicles during the war was close by, plus of course the main railway line between Birmingham and...
  2. P

Glovers Road Chinese shop

Are you thinking of Harry Hawkins newsagents shop at 63 Glovers Road? Harry ran the shop with his sister, but they lived in Shirley, and came down to the shop in their little blue Skoda car which he parked on the pavement in front of the shop. This is where I had my regular magazines from...
  3. P

Wolseley Car History

Amidst the horrors of World War 2, Wolseley workers at the Drews Lane factory bought presents for children who were in hospital at Christmas. PA739
  4. P

Then & Now

For anybody wanting to take a much closer look, and learn a bit of history, about some of the old buildings still standing in the city centre, try the pocket guide book "FACES of OLD BIRMINGHAM", I think it is only available from Symphony Hall Gift Shop. (130 pages in full colour) PA739
  5. P

Women in industry WW1 and WW2

Attached - Wolseley and Morris Commercial women workers preparing to march in Drews Lane, WW2. PA739
  6. P

Alldays & Onions

David, Alldays & Onions Ltd., merged with J C Peacock & Co Ltd., and moved to Weston super Mare, but this company was taken over later by the German Witt Group, located in Halifax, Yorkshire. There was a complete history of A&O published in 2002 by Landmark Publishing, ISBN 1 84306 047 7. PA739
  7. P

Coventry Road, Small Heath

Yes, the shop where you bought your ice cream cornets was Devoti's. The family also had a shop in the Bull Ring, opposite the Market Hall, if I remember correctly. PA739
  8. P

Dunlop

Just after the war, the motor industry went into a depression, partly caused by the anticipated increase in sales never materialising, and partly because of a national strike of "moulders" which seriously affected the supply of castings to the motor industry, hence the reason why Dunlop were...
  9. P

Britannia Railway Carriage Works.

Dave, The name of this railway company was actually, Brown, Marshalls & Co. Ltd., Britannia Works, Arden Road, and the factory was taken over 1908/09 by the Wolseley Tool & Motor Car Co. Ltd. PA739
  10. P

Bolton Road, Small Heath

Yes, the shops at the ends of Cooksey Avenue were Mrs Curley's general store and Tommy Tyers greengrocers. Also remember the Brueton family and the Nash family. PA739
  11. P

Glovers Road Chinese shop

Originally, there were four shops at the top of Glovers Road, numbers 83, 85, 87 and 89, which lay back off the pavement, and I think it was either 83 or 89 which became a Chinese gift shop. All this side of Glovers Road, and the whole of Cooksey Road and Bolton Road, were demolished in the so...
  12. P

Metro progress 2021

Like I said in my June 11th post - this archaic form of public transport should be scrapped before millions of pounds are wasted building extensions. Likewise, the "rich-mans-train-set" HS2, still runs on archaic steel rails and Maglev would have been a far better proposition, at a fraction of...
  13. P

Wolseley Sheep Shearing Co Witton

The early history of this company, 1889 to 1902, is covered in great detail in a book "Herbert Austin - His Wolseley Years", in fact far more accurately than the Wolseley Company's account. PA739
  14. P

Airship construction

Here in Birmingham, Wolseley Motors at its Adderley Park Works, made engines, radiators and transmission gear for Vickers airships, and also supplied engines for some Italian airships. The Company also did strip examination and testing of engines from Zeppelins brought down over Britain and...
  15. P

Rover Sd1

The Rover gas turbine went to Leyland Trucks. PA739
  16. P

Rover Sd1

I worked in one of the test hangers doing engine endurance testing, such as a 2000 rally car engine fitted with twin SU carbs and had to be run at 6,000 rpm for 100 hours. Also did a bit of testing the V8 engine which still had an American Carter carburettor on it, before the engine was...
  17. P

Group photos

Another picture of Wolseley women, this time at their PT lessons. PA739
  18. P

Church Street Birmingham

These reliefs depict St. George fighting the Dragon and are well illustrated in the book "Faces of Old Birmingham", a 130 page full colour pocket guide book to some of the old buildings still standing in the city centre. The book was published in 2019 and I understand is only available from...
  19. P

Church Street Birmingham

This building is identified in the guide book "Faces of Old Birmingham" as 56 - 60 Newhall Street, built in 1900. PA739
  20. P

Wimbush Bakery

I think you will find that Wimbush's bakery had its beginnings through Nelson Wimbush, a confectioner in Congreve Street, Birmingham. His name appeared prominently on a large shield giving a brief history of the company in the reception hall to the main offices at the corner of Little Green Lane...
Back