• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. I

Waterloo Association Midlands Study Day, Saturday June 29th June 2024, Birmingham and Midland Institute

Each year the Waterloo Association, the foremost group for the study of this famous battle, holds an event in the Midlands. This year it will be in central Birmingham, in the BMI, 9 Margaret Street, Birmingham, B3 3BS from 10am to 4.00pm. There are four excellent speakers, all with an...
  2. I

Bomb Alley: the World War Two Blitz and Home Front in Moseley, Balsall Heath and Kings Heath

The Moseley Society History Group present a free illustrated talk: Bomb Alley: the World War Two Blitz and Home Front in Moseley, Balsall Heath and Kings Heath, by local historians Ian Binnie, Peter Streets and David Vaux. Tuesday 21st March, live at the Mosley Exchange at 2.00pm and then on...
  3. I

Was ‘Joe’s War’ a West Midlands War? The Impact of the Boer War (1899-1902) on the West Midlands

This is the title of the next lunchtime talk at the BMI on Monday 21/11, from 1-2. See the attached flyer for more detail. The talk costs £5 and registration, using Eventbrite is essential. See the flyer for the link.
  4. I

Horseshoe tunnel

Does anyone know where this tunnel is? Apparently a number of people were whilst sheltering there during the Blitz.
  5. I

Heritage Open Day at the Birmingham and Midland Institute

Many members will be aware that Birmingham Heritage Week will soon be upon us. There is an opportunity, on Saturday September 17th (10.30 -3.00) to see the brand new Birmingham People's History Archive. This is collection that was created in 2021, from a collection built up over many years. It...
  6. I

Birmingham and the Spanish Civil War

I have agreed to do a display on Birmingham and the Spanish Civil War but don't actually know much about it (complex reasons for volunteering). I know a fair bit about the SCW generally but can anyone point me in the direction of resources or send me any information please?
  7. I

Gallipoli/ANZAC Day Commemoration at Brandwood End Cemetery 24/4

Hi Horatio, Great to read your post. Do you think that your Great Uncle was related to Horace George Turner? Ian
  8. I

Gallipoli/ANZAC Day Commemoration at Brandwood End Cemetery 24/4

Gallipoli/ANZAC Day Commemoration, Sunday 24th April 2022, 11am Brandwood End Cemetery, Birmingham, B14 6EQ. We remember all those who served in the ill-fated Gallipoli campaign of World War One. To be held at the grave of Trooper Horace Turner (Section A2 Grave 617-619) All are welcome...
  9. I

Free Zoom talk on Moseley and World War Two 28/4

A free Zoom talk by the Moseley History Group Moseley and World War Two by Ian Binnie, based on research by Edwina Rees and Peter Streets Thursday 28th April at 7.30pm Research into World War Two has often...
Back