• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gallipoli/ANZAC Day Commemoration at Brandwood End Cemetery 24/4

Ian Binnie

knowlegable brummie
Gallipoli/ANZAC Day Commemoration,

Sunday 24th April 2022, 11am

Brandwood End Cemetery, Birmingham,

B14 6EQ.

We remember all those who served in the ill-fated Gallipoli campaign of World War One. To be held at the grave of Trooper Horace Turner (Section A2 Grave 617-619)

All are welcome. Organisations that wish to be involved should contact Ian Binnie on [email protected]

The event will be dependent on reasonable weather.

1649181815138.png

Hi Ian,
I was interested to see the article on the Gallipoli campaign, my Great Uncle John Hawkins Turner served with the Worcestershire Yeomanry from 1910 until he was KIA in Huj Palestine 1917. I understand that his cavalry regiment was converted to infantry and deployed in Gallipoli. I think Yeomanry made up a large part of the British force in this campaign along side the Australian and New Zealand forces.
Out of interest l have visited the Forces Association in Christchurch New Zealand and seen the vast quantities of photographs and memorabilia on display relating to Gallipoli.

Hi Ian,
I was interested to see the article on the Gallipoli campaign, my Great Uncle John Hawkins Turner served with the Worcestershire Yeomanry from 1910 until he was KIA in Huj Palestine 1917. I understand that his cavalry regiment was converted to infantry and deployed in Gallipoli. I think Yeomanry made up a large part of the British force in this campaign along side the Australian and New Zealand forces.
Out of interest l have visited the Forces Association in Christchurch New Zealand and seen the vast quantities of photographs and memorabilia on display relating to Gallipoli.
Hi Horatio,
Great to read your post. Do you think that your Great Uncle was related to Horace George Turner?
Ian

Hi Ian,
Regarding any relationship between my own family and Horace George Turner it is not a name l have seen in my own family history. Since the early 1800s my family were from Duddleston, Aston area then Small Heath.

John Hawkins Turner joined the Worcestershire Yeomanry in 1910 as part of the Camp Hill B squadron parts of Birmingham would have been in Worcestershire at the time, the Earl of Dudley sponsored the regiment and provided funds for training etc.

Back