• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

Anyone know this one?

Giving somebody or something some Poll Thom(p)son. Any ideas? It means giving something a real bashing, so could it be the name of a specific piece of heavy machinery like a steam hammer?
  2. D

2nd Cadet Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Thank you very much for the information Colin. I appreciate your time. Dragon
  3. D

2nd Cadet Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment

I have found a newspaper cutting from the Leamington Spa Courier dated 12 July 1912 stating that my grandfather "Mr. W.E. Greeves, of Leamington, has been appointed to a commission in the 2nd Cadet Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Coventry." Does this mean he was in the army? Could he...
  4. D

Photographer RW Thrupp

Thanks Colin, I'll have a look at the links you've kindly given me but looks like jury's still out on whether this could have been taken before 1853 Dragon
  5. D

Photographer RW Thrupp

I have a copy of a photograph purporting to be of my 3rd great grandmother Charlotte Middleton (nee Dawson) b1779 d 1853. The photographer's name was WR Thrupp, Birmingham. Can anyone please tell me when this photographer worked and where they were situated? Would like to know if it is...
  6. D

Smethwick

I remember waiting for this bus at the very end of Shireland Road where it becomes Portland Road, outside the hairdressers and a greengrocers which I think was called Barretts. It was the 252 and my mother and I caught it most Saturdays to visit her twin brother who lived off the Newton Road at...
  7. D

Smethwick

Re: Smethwick Council House Landmine My aunt Joan and grandfather Frederick Weaver were on duty at the Council House that night. I was told that all the young men who had been eyed up by the girls in the past were forgotten, and the girls suddenly became more interested in the reassuring calm...
  8. D

Smethwick

Great idea for Smethwick to have its own section. It never was part of Birmingham or the Black Country. Trouble is, it was so unique, they didn't know where to slot it in! It must be in the running for the most-moved-about-town record. Although I lived over the border in Edgbaston (Poplar...
  9. D

Marriage Look-up Please: James Hall & Rebecca 29/12/1818

Thanks Ewan. Yes Shera has replied, and you were quite right bout the date. Dragon
  10. D

Marriage Look-up Please: James Hall & Rebecca 29/12/1818

I've not been on this site for some time and lost my way. Have just posted this to the wrong place but back on track now. Sorry Shera. I know it's not likely but should be grateful for any details. Thanks - Dragon
  11. D

All Saints Hockley Lookups

Thanks so much for doing the look-up, it's much appreciated. Hope your own research at the library was useful. Will IM you today. Regards - Dragon
  12. D

Many thanks Steve, that would be great - weather permitting! Be careful. Dragon
  13. D

Thanks for that Wendy.
  14. D

Henry Jones married Rosanna Silvester 8 Apr 1867, would love some details. Any chance?
  15. D

St Martin's Marriage Look-ups Please?

Thanks for trying Shera - Lewis Middleton wins again!
  16. D

Thanks for that long list of Middleton marriages. Unfortunately the only one I hope might be mine (purely because of one witness - older sister) is: william middleton bachelor to elizabeth bishop spinster on 21 sep 1824 witnesses were william green and ann middleton Any chance you could find...
  17. D

Many thanks Shera. Will digest and get back to you. Dragon
  18. D

I think all my Middletons got married in Methodist chapels as soon as they were able, so by the time there was more info on the records they'd disappeared from St Martin's. Some more Middleton marriage queries for you if you don't mind: James married Elizabeth unknown. 1st child born 1833 John...
  19. D

Thanks again Shera I'm afraid I went a bit soft in the head over the baptisms I mentioned before. There are indeed three baptisms of about the right date, but they all took place in the mother's home village. There are others for St Martin's but I think they are too late to be connected as...
  20. D

Hello again Shera Hope you don't mind me asking you again. I've found another St Martin's marriage. Would you mind looking up for me Ann Middleton and James Stubbs on 28 Oct 1798, and hope there's more information this time? I also have some baptisms which might be as a result of this...
Back