• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

All Saints Hockley Lookups

G

glitterwings

seeking marriage of .
john sanders and eleanor hall.
6th sept 1868.
at all saints birmingham.
thank you.

Hi,
Can any one lookup a marriage for me please

Emma Mason to William Collins abt 1853
I need to know Emma`s father`s name.

I have just had a message from someone,we both have a Emma Mason
married to a William Collins,but we have different famillies.
I would be very grateful for some help.
Thankyou
Carol

the marriage was william collins to emma mason on 18 jul 1853 at

all saints. birmingham

from igi records

if you wish to send for the certificate the details are

1853 jul-sep birmingham 6d 4

this will have the fathers names and occ. recorded

Hello Shera,
Thankyou for answering my message and giving me the marriage details
of Emma and William i am grateful and will send for the certificate.
Thankyou
Carol

These records have not been put on disc they are only available at Central Library. Other than that you could send for the certificate.

If you could hold on until next week i shall probably be visiting the library. I could look it up for you then?

Regards

Steve

Hi there, I have been to the Library to-day and here is what i found;

Henry Jones, 22 year old bachelor, and an engraver of Park Road married Rosanna Silvester, 21 year old spinster, and a ? button maker also of Park Road, on the 8th April, 1867 at the All Saints church Hockley in Birmingham. Henry's Father was Henry Jones a Pearl Button maker. Rosanna's Father was Josiah Silvester, a Brass founder. Henry signed the register but Rosanna made her mark X. Witnesses were Walter James Cook, he signed the register, and Isabella Stone? She made her mark X

I do have a copy of the certificate which is a photo copy taken from a microfilm. If you IM me your e-mail address i'll send you a copy.

Regards

Steve

Steve what a kind thing for you to do these look ups. I know library time flies. Thanks for doing this for members!

Thanks so much for doing the look-up, it's much appreciated. Hope your own research at the library was useful. Will IM you today. Regards - Dragon

Shera has just been helping me on another topic “Benjamin Whitehouse trace back”. My last post mentioned All Saints Hockley St and:-

“Now I know the church I guess my next action is wait until I visit or return to B’ham and have a look at micro- fiche in Central Library (Taking it can still look). “

“Checked ICG and found Benjamin Whitehouse married Sarah Slater on 28 September 1973 at All Saints, Hockley St”

1) However anyone going that and can look up for me please

2) Hockley St, jog my memory where about it was please, any pictures?

Ray - I still live in hope I make B’ham or surrounds soon.

Hi Ray.

I have noted your request for a look up of the marriage Benjamin Whitehouse to Sarah Slater at All saints Hockley. I should be going to the the library sometime next week so i'll look it up for you.

Regards

Steve

Carolynn,

Thank you, from your info checked map and see one end is Vyse St and the other Brearly St

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there.
I managed to get to the Birmingham Reference Library to-day and found the following; Benjamin Whitehouse, a 20 year old bachelor and Siversmith, abode Lower Camden Street, married Sarah Slater, a 19 year old spinster and Bellows coverer (unsure about this), abode Carver Street, at All Saints church on the 28 September 1873. Benjamin's Father was Thomas Whitehouse a Builders Clark (unsure again). Sarah's Father was John Slater a Iron moulder. Both Benjamin and Sarah made their Mark as did the two witnesses, Lucy Slater and John Howard ? (unsure).
If you IM me with your e-mail address i'll send to you a copy of the marriage certificate.
Regards
Steve

Steve, a public thank you., great stuff.

I will now attempt to IM you.

Ray

This is the entry in the G.R.O index for the Esther Chatwin, Robert Edward Sherman/Sherwin marrriage.

Name: SHERMAN, Robert Edward
Registration District: Birmingham
County: Warwickshire
Year of Registration: 1875
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Spouse's last name: Not available before 1912
Volume No: 6D
Page No: 22

This is the entry in FamilySearch

Groom's Name: Robert Edward Sherwin
Groom's Birth Date: 1853
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age: 22
Bride's Name: Esther Chatwin
Bride's Birth Date: 1855
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age: 20
Marriage Date: 28 Mar 1875
Marriage Place: All Saints, Burmingham, Warwick, England
Groom's Father's Name: Edgar Sherwin
Groom's Mother's Name:
Bride's Father's Name: Joseph Chatwin
Bride's Mother's Name:
Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status: Single
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status: Single
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00806-0
System Origin: England-EASy
Source Film Number: 1520009
Reference Number: 237, p 119, it 4

Can somebody have a look at the actual All Saints register and confirm which is correct.

Thanks in advance.

[SIZE=+1]Marriages Mar Quarter 1875[/SIZE]
CHATWIN Esther Birmingham Vol 6d Page 22
SHERMAN Robert Edward Birmingham Vol 6d page 22
Looks like to me that the FamilySearch file has been mis- transcribed (whoever transcribed it mixed up the win and the man and added win to both names).

Hope this helps :)

I think the G.R.O is wrong.

That is why i need somebody to actually look at the Parish Register.

The family are Sherwin in subsequent Census.

Yes I see what you mean, I found the family in 1891... and I also found what could be Roberts birth in Birmingham 1853 however it's down as Robert Edwin Sherwin (not Edward) maybe another mistake!
[SIZE=+1]Births [/SIZE]Birmingham [SIZE=+1]Mar 1853 [/SIZE]Volume: [SIZE=+1]6d [/SIZE]Page: [SIZE=+1]151[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Back