• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Martin's Marriage Look-ups Please?

Dragon

proper brummie kid
Would it be possible for someone to kindly look up all details available for the following marriages?

14 Feb 1803 Charlotte Dawson to James Middleton

4 Mar 1833 William Fox to Anne Middleton

If so, thanks in advance.

Don't know whether I've done this properly or not - never used anything like it before.

Confused Dragon :confused:

hello dragon,

theres not much extra on marriages for these dates

william fox of this parish bachelor and ann middleton of the parish of harborne spinster married by banns 4 mar 1833

they both signed their names and the witnesses were
john middleton and john broad or brand
p. middleton and sarah broad or brand

james middleton of this parish bachelor and charlotte dawson of this parish spinster married by banns 14 feb 1803
james made a cross, charlotte signed her name
witnesses were elizabeth edge and thomas middleton

Hello Shera

Thank you so much for looking these up for me. I wasn't sure I would get a reply at all but to get one so quickly is fantastic.

What a pity there is no more information, I was hoping for a fathers names at least.

Just in case you are interested, James became a grocer in Smethwick New Village after working for Boulton & Watt. They had 10 children, two of whom also worked for B & W, one selling steam engines abroad and one fitting them in this country. Two became quite wealthy ironmasters in Smethwick. Anne, their daughter, died on St Mary's Island a refuge for escaped slaves in the Gambia river where her husband was a Methodist missionary.

I have transcripts of letters from the Middletons & one from William Fox which I would be happy to share if anyone's interested.

Thanks again Shera

Dragon :)

you obviously have a very interesting family dragon. we would all be happy to see any transcripts of letters. at the moment you cannot upload any images to the forum but i think that will be available again in january. although there is not much info on the marriage certs, sometimes it helps a bit to see who the witnesses were and also to know if they had been married before. all the best, shera

Hello again Shera

Hope you don't mind me asking you again. I've found another St Martin's marriage. Would you mind looking up for me Ann Middleton and James Stubbs on 28 Oct 1798, and hope there's more information this time?

I also have some baptisms which might be as a result of this marriage if it's the right one. Are there any details like father's occupation or abode at this time or are the records equally information-free?

Dragon :shocked:

i dont mind you asking at all, james stubbs of this parish bachelor and ann middleton of this parish spinster married by banns 28 oct 1798. they both signed with a cross. witnesses were isabella bosworth and james middleton.

from 1813 there is a bit more info on baptisms so if you have any after that date it would be good, otherwise its just one line of childs name and parents names. no maiden name either!

Thanks again Shera

I'm afraid I went a bit soft in the head over the baptisms I mentioned before. There are indeed three baptisms of about the right date, but they all took place in the mother's home village. There are others for St Martin's but I think they are too late to be connected as they range from 1830 to 1841

Incidentally, are you searching a database for St Martin's? If so, would it be possible for you to come up with any more Middleton marriages? Sorry to be a bit cheeky - but if you don't ask - you never know!

Dragon

there are loads of middleton marriages dragon, if you want a specific age range i will list them for you, the later ones from 1838 have more info on them of course

I think all my Middletons got married in Methodist chapels as soon as they were able, so by the time there was more info on the records they'd disappeared from St Martin's.

Some more Middleton marriage queries for you if you don't mind:
James married Elizabeth unknown. 1st child born 1833
John married Fanny unknown between 1818 & 1828
Lewis/Louis between 1780 & 1830
Thomas between 1887 & 1907
Susannah between 1789 & 1809
Mary between 1798 & 1818
John between 1802 & 1821
Jane between 1806 & 1826
William between 1811 & 1831

Sorry there are such a lot.

Dragon

these are all i could find.

daniel derry bachelor to susanna middleton spinster on 7 may 1807 witnesses were sarah bailey and john bishop

john middleton bachelor to jane broomhall spinster on 3 nov 1802 witnesses were elizabeth and john martin

then 5 williams to choose from!

william middleton bachelor to sarah harris (of claverton) spinster on 2 dec 1829
witnesses were eliza nad nathaniel waterfall

william middleton bachelor to elizabeth bishop spinster on 21 sep 1824
witnesses were william green and ann middleton

william middleton bachelor to jane whitehouse spinster on 25 dec 1817
witnesses were edward bate (or bale) and amy hodgetts

william middleton bachelor to mary climer (or glimer) widow on 27 oct 1814
witnesses were samuel and hannah higgs

william middleton widower to elizabeth proctor spinster on 15 jun 1810
witnesses were john and frances butler

couldnt see any of the others im afraid. hope this is of some help. if you have anymore baptisms/marr/deaths dont be afraid to ask

My family, the Brants, live first in Beaudesert and later in Kings Norton, but I understand that it was not unusual for couples to pop in to Brum to get hitched. My 6 greats grandfather William Brant (b.1772) married Ann ? around 1794 but this is not recorded in Beaudesert. Can anyone check for this marriage in St. Martins please? Many thanks, Graham Brant.

there is this one at st. martins.

william brant of this parish bachelor and ann hughes of this parish spinster married in this church by banns this 15th may 1791

the marriage only had one witness - thomas horton

Thanks for that long list of Middleton marriages. Unfortunately the only one I hope might be mine (purely because of one witness - older sister) is:
william middleton bachelor to elizabeth bishop spinster on 21 sep 1824
witnesses were william green and ann middleton
Any chance you could find baptisms associaed with this marriage? I know there are two William/Elizabeths in your list but I assume they'd have started producing soon after 1824 and the other pair might have moved away - I hope!

Also I wonder if you could help me with a lost Middleton I just can't find except in a letter? He was Lewis or Louis & I've no real date of birth - could be anywhere between 1770 and 1795 giving a possible marriage date of 1770 to 1843, the year that he died. Thanks again - Dragon

sorry to disappoint but havent been able to find anything for the above questions. some of the records from before 1800 or so are very very difficult to read so i suppose it may be there but i certainly couldnt spot it. no sign of a lewis or louis anywhere.

there is this one at st. martins.

william brant of this parish bachelor and ann hughes of this parish spinster married in this church by banns this 15th may 1791

the marriage only had one witness - thomas horton
Many thanks - this could well be the one as both partners would have been of age. Thanks again, G.B.

Back