• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

I think I may have posted elsewhere that the rockery In our garden in Acocks Green was made of the remnants of the roof from an air raid shelter.

First up this evening, we have Model Stores, 50 Queens Street taken on the 31st July 1964, and judging by the street name corner of Studley Street too. Very crisp brick patterns and pointing - common bond on the front, the corners of the doors and the laying of the bricks on the window sills. Nice globe over the door and a the name of Smiths in the middle of Model Stores.
20230108121322_12.jpg

First up this evening, we have Model Stores, 50 Queens Street taken on the 31st July 1964, and judging by the street name corner of Studley Street too. Very crisp brick patterns and pointing - common bond on the front, the corners of the doors and the laying of the bricks on the window sills. Nice globe over the door and a the name of Smiths in the middle of Model Stores.
View attachment 189449
as thought steve its gone

Interestingly neither Smiths Model Stores nor Queen St appear in the 1964.65 or 66 Kellys, showing that it is not infallable

Sorry back to a random picture with no details, Good Cheer Cellars, with part of C.V. Bull next door, which looks like it may have extended across to the cellars, seems to be a little bit of tidiness between two rather tired shops, even the roof looks tidier.
View attachment 189454
C.V.Crabtree was a butcher who had at various times different shops. I believe that this was at 109 Hockley hill, with the M & B off licence at 110. He did also have a shop at 98 Crabtree Road, with off licence next door at no 100 (Ernest Melhuish at 100 in 1949) , but the buttchers and off licence are the wrong way round in that case

Sorry for my absence - been no where but sometimes time takes over.
We have moved on to Roll 33 , which is a bit of a hit and miss roll - and in most cases miss.
If you have just viewed this and the picture has disappeared don't worry it was a duplicate and I found it the second I posted it

Unfortunately we are peering around a lamppost with a Ford Cortina on the street, we have the Gunmakers Arms Bath Street, now a Two Towers pub, bit different from the olden M & B days. The exterior view hasn't changed and the only difference on the street is again the meters as we are now pay and display !! Rough guess at the 1970's going by the Ford
20230108124857_08.jpg

Now this one I have even less information but I assume it is Public works so someone will know where it is!!

Public Lighting Depot nicely carver in stone with leaded windows above and a large gate with curved entrance frame - mirrored either side with the arched door frame and arched window on the other with an ornate window sill.

20230108125048_02.jpg

well that was a quick roll to go through and shows how many duplicated there were.

Last one on the roll and for tonight , we have good old Moor Street Station, with West Midland Passenger Transport logo under the BR sign. Quiet road out front and two of the modern style telephone boxes on the left. It now has an ornate entrance porch and Booking hall sign and looks well looked after.

20230108125048_03.jpg

apologies if the description is wrong - I am told this is the Albion in Sheepcote Street, tiny building but with the M & B lamp out the front, surrounded by industry and I assume a pub that is no longer there. Note the building on the left with the corrugated iron on the windows
View attachment 190516
It is the albion. I have similar photo , but without sale board next dood

Now this one I have even less information but I assume it is Public works so someone will know where it is!!

Public Lighting Depot nicely carver in stone with leaded windows above and a large gate with curved entrance frame - mirrored either side with the arched door frame and arched window on the other with an ornate window sill.

View attachment 190517
This was in Cambridge St

Back