• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

George Horton of Bordesley Green

I can't afford to subscribe to Ancestry at the moment unfortunately :(
dont know if you know but its free to join ancestry think you get the first month free then you can just pay £13.99 for a months subs for the premium plan which is quite sufficient ..you can cancel at any time and then just dip into it again when you like...that is what i do...you dont have to subscribe for a whole year...

lyn

I'm thinking I will keep the medals, with a view to selling them to a collector in the future. I don't feel able to give them to a distant relative who probably isn't interested. I'll make sure whoever has them has a summary of what you've all found out, for which I thank you so much. George isn't forgotten, his wife's friend hid his things well so we could know about him, the cycling Brummie Scottish Rifleman :)

As Edith remained at 32 Daniels Road after her parents death then I'd assume that the medals remained with her. So it may have been when she died (1987) that the medals ended up at no. 27, though her sister and nephew were still alive at that time.

As Edith remained at 32 Daniels Road after her parents death then I'd assume that the medals remained with her. So it may have been when she died (1987) that the medals ended up at no. 27, though her sister and nephew were still alive at that time.
According to a probate record Edith no longer lived at Daniels Road when she died.

My relatives the Bennetts bought 27 some time in the 60s i think. There was definitely another family there before them who had a disabled adult son, but weren't called Horton, or they'd have given the medals back as soon as they found them. 32 isn't opposite 27, it's a bit up the road, so even if the Hortons were still there at the time, they might not have known them. The only other people i know of locally were the Havards, a mother and daughter who lived at No 25. It's really baffling. I'd at least love to solve this mystery. I went to 27 many times, my relative lived to 102 by the way, she died in 2003.

his wife's friend hid his things well so we could know about him, the cycling Brummie Scottish Rifleman :)
Do you know it was his wife's friend?
As I posted earlier The Wauman famiy lived at 27 followed by the Davis family.
See

Your relatives must have moved in after 1965

Record of a Thomas Wauman born Birmingham

George born

1901 - 2
George in Africa

George marries Fanny

George on Birmingham census with wife and 2 children Edith and Gladys

1914 - 1918
George WW1

George, Fanny and Edith at 32
Gladys son Robert born
Thomas and Minnie Wauman at 27

Thomas Wauman burial record at Yardley

George, Fanny, Edith at 32
Minnie at 27

George gets Coronation medal

Fanny and Edith at 32
Minnie at 27

Fanny and Edith at 32
Robert and Rosetta Davis at 27

Only Edith at 32
Robert and Rosetta at 27

Late 60s and 70s
? Edith at 32
Bennetts at 27

Edith died but not living at 32
Bennetts at 27

Gladys son Robert died

Questions:
Robert and Rosetta, if no adult son listed on the ER, there must be another occupant between them and the Bennetts. Who was it? Or would a mentally incapacitated person not be on the ER?

Was Edith still at 32 when the Bennetts arrived?

Possible theories:
Thomas and George served together in the army, worked together or most likely, did fire fighting together in WW2. They were of similar age. When George died, Fanny gave his medals to Minnie, who was by then a widow. They were hidden in 27 all the time the Davises lived there but weren't found. Did Minnie die while living alone at 27? That would explain why they were not found for so long?

Edith was gravely ill / had to go into a home, gave the medals to Robert and Rosetta. This doesn't explain why they weren't given to Gladys or Robert, and couldn't be true if she was still at 32 when the Bennetts moved in. If Robert and Rosetta are the couple with the disabled son who sold the house to the Bennetts, why didn't they take the medals when they left?

Any more theories?

Last edited:
Mentally handicapped person most likely not on eroll. I was about to ask if you knew the nature of the disability.
Minnie Wauman died in 1957 still living at 27.

I think it very likely that the medals were a gift to Minnie, hidden and forgotten at her death. It's much more likely that a widow living alone would hide medals, than a family.

Is she on Ancestry? Did she and Thomas have any children?

Last edited:
Tuppenny - not sure where you are but a visit to Birmingham Archives and a check on the paper erolls (open access) would allow you to check when your relatives moved in and when Edith moved out of 32.

I'm in London, I come to Birmingham about 4 times a year, I'll see if I can fit it in next time. I wonder if there are other records I could look at such as the fire watch? My gut feeling is that there is something inherent to the medals / service that was the reason for giving them, otherwise there would have been other things with them. Even if Edith fell ill, Gladys must have known that the medals existed. Do we know when Gladys died?

Last edited:
Note dob on death record does not agree with 1939 reg. Out by about 1 month but no other deaths have births around same date. She definitely had the middle name Penelope as it is on the baptism record and P is the middle initial on the erolls.

Last edited:
Back