• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newhall Street

charlie
yes we have i love looking through them and found meny that have brought some lovely memory back to me
thank you to you all
josie

I think the photographer is standing just up from Great Charles Street, looking towards Colmore Row. Cornwall Street on the left, followed by Edmund Street

I have merged two Newhall St threads.
I presume this cutting refers to the building below now still standing

Settmakers &stoneworkers.J. 1.2.1899.jpgScreenHunter 2588.jpg

But , if so, then it seems to have deviated from the original purpose by 1950, when the OS map describes it as the Public Assistance Offices

Hi,

My first job in 1960 was at the Westminster Bank, 98, Newhall Street.
Can anyone tell me what is there now?

Kind regards
Dave

Thanks ASparks I’ve just had a look. Most of the road seems to be terraced villas with name plaques still on the buildings. I suspect Holly Bank would have been where Salisbury Road joined Birchfield Road. I think at some point Birchfield Road was widened and consequently several houses were probably removed in Salisbury Road. Perhaps it was one of those. With a name like Holly Bank it sounds to me like a detached house too. All guesswork though. Viv.

This photo was on a site trying to identify unknown photos. It was identified as 35-37 Newhall St, architects Newton and Cheatle, and constructed with materials from Gibbs and Canning terracotta manufacturers . It was destroyed by bombing during the war I am not certain whether it also includes at least another building next to 35-37, but this is arguable and not clear. 1950s map below after bombing

35-37  Newhall St.jpgmap 1950s showig area around 35-37 Newhall st.jpg

A view looking up Newhall Street from Bread Street (later Cornwall Street) to Edmund Street, dated as c1887. Presumably these buildings were demolished in the development that constructed the buildings in Mike's photo.

Newhall Street (Bread Street junction, looking towards Edmund Street) 1887.jpg

Back