• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

George Horton of Bordesley Green

And I think Charles married an Edith Eliza Humphries in 1898 (on Ancestry).

Possibly has 2 sons (1 died young) and a daughter.

And I think Charles married an Edith Eliza Humphries in 1898 (on Ancestry).

Possibly has 2 sons (1 died young) and a daughter.
thanks mark what was the name of charles daughter please need to find out if she married and had any children..having no luck with the trees on ancestry..

lyn

Charles and Edith's daughter was Doris Emily, she married Charles F Lines and died in Cheshire. She had 2 sons, Brian A J and Alan J.

Their son was Harold James who married but again doesn't seem to have any children.

Charles and Edith's daughter was Doris Emily, she married Charles F Lines and died in Cheshire. She had 2 sons, Brian A J and Alan J.

Their son was Harold James who married but again doesn't seem to have any children.
thanks mark...brian A J lines b 1933 birm. mmn horton.....on the 1939 eve of war register he is with the beesley family in stratford who are farmers so i presume he was evacuated there...brian married norma ireland in 1962 in cheshire..it is possible that brian is still alive but more possible his children are if he and norma had any

lyn

Last edited:
As far as I can tell George has 8 grand nieces/nephews still alive and at least 10 great grand nieces/nephews.

However, there may be more as I don't know if his sister, Clara, had children after she emigrated, and the children of his brother, Henry, married a Jones and a Price. There are lots of possible children for them but I can't tell which if any of them are theirs.

thanks mark ..i think myself and janice have found a horton descendant that is still alive...we just need to double check and hopefully find his contact details so a little more time is needed...will update asap

lyn

We won't. Once we are sure one of us will send you a pm with details.
Look for a red 1 by the envelope top right of the screen next to your avatar.
We will post a tree showing the connection but we want to be sure we are right.

We won't. Once we are sure one of us will send you a pm with details.
Look for a red 1 by the envelope top right of the screen next to your avatar.
We will post a tree showing the connection but we want to be sure we are right.
Thankyou so much :)

hi tuppenny rice after double checking our info myself and janice have taken a wrong turning so the person we thought was a living descendant of george horton is not...this is why it is always important when researching to double or even triple check if needed...dont worry we are back on the case and will report back as soon as we have some news for you..cant rush these things

lyn

He is on the 1939 register at 32 Daniels Rd. This road is on the Ideal Village so he would have had a different address prior to 1910 date of build.
I just realised something. They were found at 27 Daniels Road, not 32. My relatives were the Bennetts, who were living there from the 60s I think, and there was at least one occupant in between.

Searching Ancestry family trees for the children of George and Fanny doesn't seem to bring up any results, even though there appear to be a lot of trees that contain their nieces and nephews.

As expected there also appear to be a lot of errors - for example about half the trees for George's sister, Emily, that list a husband are wrong and is a different Emily.

So, do any of them really deserve to have the medals?

Just tracked Daniels Road on the erolls which arre available online from 1939 to 1965
George, Fanny and Edith continue at 32, By 1965 only Edith is living there, George goes from the eroll between 1950 and 57. Fanny goes between 1960 and and 1965.

At number 27 Thomas has obviously died by 1950 but Minnie is listed. Between 1957 and 1960 Robert and Rosetta Davis move in and they are still there in 1965. That is the last online eroll.

I just wondered if there was a family link to number 27.

Last edited:
Searching Ancestry family trees for the children of George and Fanny doesn't seem to bring up any results, even though there appear to be a lot of trees that contain their nieces and nephews.

As expected there also appear to be a lot of errors - for example about half the trees for George's sister, Emily, that list a husband are wrong and is a different Emily.

So, do any of them really deserve to have the medals?
When I looked most trees seemed to be owned by people whith little or very distant connection to the Horton family so perhaps the family do deserve to, at least, have the option of having the medals.

I was hoping for him to have grandchildren I guess. I don't think I'd give them to great nephews/nieces especially if there are several and it's not clear which one. I suspect the two ladies were friends. Strange to give / lend the medals as she still had living children nearby I think? Or am I wrong?

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I was hoping for him to have grandchildren I guess. I don't think I'd give them to great nephews/nieces especially if there are several and it's not clear which one. I suspect the two ladies were friends. Strange to give / lend the medals as she still had living children nearby I think? Or am I wrong?

If one of them had a strong interest in family history then I think that would be ok. It annoys me when you see people on the tv selling family medals. My aunt wanted me out of all the cousins to have my grandad's medals because I was interested.

for anyone interested here is the thread from 2018 for one of our success stories...it really was a wonderful result and just goes to show that hidden or found items can be returned to family descendants..this one was so interesting it made media coverage..

Last edited:
If one of them had a strong interest in family history then I think that would be ok. It annoys me when you see people on the tv selling family medals. My aunt wanted me out of all the cousins to have my grandad's medals because I was interested.
Yes indeed, and the medals are worth money, I don't want to give them to someone who never met George and will just sell them. I'd rather sell them myself and put them in the hands of a collector who appreciates them. The responsibility!

I forgot to upload the pictures yesterday, here they are. Note George's sewing and that it appears the tin is lined with the tissue paper that originally wrapped the chocolate (I looked up photos of the rare tins with the chocolate still in). Also his lucky Italian coin and veteran association badge. He wore his Victory medal 'back to front' and the ribbon on the Kings SA medal is also upside down - not a stickler for details, bless him. The medals look like he wore them a fair bit. He was still alive in 1953 to get his Coronation medal.

1000014103.jpg
1000014105.jpg
1000014109.jpg
1000014107.jpg

Last edited:
A great set of medals. Soldiers from the Cameron Highlanders (I think it's his regiment) formed the firing squad that executed Harry Morant and Peter Handcock. Unlikely but I wonder if he was involved.

A great set of medals. Soldiers from the Cameron Highlanders (I think it's his regiment) formed the firing squad that executed Harry Morant and Peter Handcock. Unlikely but I wonder if he was involved.
Is that the same as the Scottish Rifles?
1710236000471.png

I wonder why he enlisted with them? I read that they mainly recruited from a specific area of Scotland at that time. That was why I initially thought he was Scottish. The cycle connection is also interesting. Apparently before the Cycle Corps was put together, lots of regiments had their own cycle brigades. Maybe the Scots Rifles needed bike savvy men and got them in Brum? Quite mind boggling..

Back