• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth Grammar King Edward Boys' Grammar Grove Lane

G G Jean. Your Handsworth Grammar School photograph is very close to being 1947/8. The boy behind your brother is John Salisbury who ran the 400 metres in the Melbourne Olympics. The lad on the extreme right back row is John Partridge. The lad next to your brother is D.B.C. Roberts - a good cricketer as well as footballer. This era was a very successful period for the school in all sporting areas. Regards. willey

Willey that's the name I couldn't bring to mind. John Salisbury. Thank you for your information. Jean.

alan as jean has pointed out the forum was hacked about 3 years ago and we lost all of our images...there is a notice at the top of the page...since then members have been slowly trying to repost the lost images that is of course if they are still on the forum..in the case of lencops i am afraid he sadly passed away in 2011..

lyn

Last edited:
Think the English Tutors of Handsworth Grammar School would be disappointed with the spelling on this 1914 postcard of the school! Did this school become King Edwards? Viv.

image.jpeg

Think the English Tutors of Handsworth Grammar School would be disappointed with the spelling on this 1914 postcard of the school! Did this school become King Edwards? Viv.

View attachment 106642
Hi Viv,
No this is still HGS - there is a King Edward's Girls School nearby in Rosehill Road. I was at the school during the late 50's/early 60's when the Reverend J J Walton (Holy Joe) ruled the roost with a very stern hand.

It used to be the Bridge Trust School after the trust that was used to set it up originally; hence the bridge on the badge

Hi Viv,
No this is still HGS - there is a King Edward's Girls School nearby in Rosehill Road. I was at the school during the late 50's/early 60's when the Reverend J J Walton (Holy Joe) ruled the roost with a very stern hand.
I'm doing some research on the johnny beck smith jazz band 1950s. John Smith known as Brian smith attended handsworth school anyone remember him?

Does anyone remember john smith known as Brian at home of worlds end road went on to form johnny Beck six went to handsworth grammar.

Any info would be great

Regards
Kathryn

Handsworth Grammar boys returning to evacuation after spending Christmas at home. Viv.

image.jpeg

Hi Millwright. I read your post about Handsworth Grammar but I didn't recognize any of your years names. I started in September 65, in form 1.14 with Miss Barber form master. I remember Mr Morris, there was Mr Stephenson the dreaded gym master, poor Mr Clews who just couldn't control a class. Mr Lawrence the deputy head, inspecting you as you came in in the morning and of course Mr Hill the headmaster. In my year was a boy called Liddle who was as big as the masters.

Hi Millwright. I read your post about Handsworth Grammar but I didn't recognize any of your years names. I started in September 65, in form 1.14 with Miss Barber form master. I remember Mr Morris, there was Mr Stephenson the dreaded gym master, poor Mr Clews who just couldn't control a class. Mr Lawrence the deputy head, inspecting you as you came in in the morning and of course Mr Hill the headmaster. In my year was a boy called Liddle who was as big as the masters.
Hi Beachmaster, Ok the year below and so many years ago can't think of any names in that year. The Teachers yes more names you have jogged from memories long past. Mr Stevenson he smacked Harris coming out of the showers with a sports shoe and you could read the 'mirrored' Dunlop name on a private area of his body. So yes dreaded indeed. Also a French tutor with wild ginger hair - Mr Turner ?- would show his underpants and say 'pantaloons'. Another was a huge 'beast of a man' Welsh, loved his Rugby and he lifted me up the wall by my neck, because I mimicked his accent when referring his national team losing a match. They'd never get away with it today. Still some really good memories and probably lots more will spring to mind - Thanks Beachmaster and Thanks to the BH forum.

Hi Viv,
Hi This year HGS has become
Map of King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School For Boys

King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School For Boys

The badge shows the Staffordshire knot and a bridge in Perry Barr (both the school and Perry Barr were in Staffordshire until 1911)
The school song starts off - To the old bridge trust we sing this song, to the Staffordshire knot as we pass along............
Great forum Birmingham History. Kindest regards

My late father-in-law, Sidney Dorman, was the resident caretaker at King Edwards Girls School in Rosehill Road in the late 1950s and we used to rehearse our big band in one of the classrooms of a Sunday afternoon in 1960.

Maurice

maurice i was living not far away in villa st at the time you were rehearsing at rosehill girls school...small world

lyn

Small world indeed, Lyn. My in-laws-to-be used to have a flat there with a piano, and I was also there several nights of the week doing arrangements for the big band until the early hours of the morning and then took two night service buses across to my home in Kings Heath and then back across to Lucas GKS a few hours later. Times were hard for a budding musician! :cool: No wonder I had bloodshot eyes!!!!!

Maurice

Already another thread H.G.S. 1950-1960 here

Already another thread H.G.S. 1950-1960 here
hello Rob - i've got 2 photo's of the whole school, pupils and staff - April 1960 and May 1963. They are big long, panoramic shots. The photographer used a motorised camera on a tripod and a few wags would jump down, at the back, and run along before the camera got there and get in the picture twice.

I had not realised that Handsworth Grammar had joined the King Edwards Schools and changed its name in 2017. My late father went to Handsworth Grammar.

And don't forget Bulldog Drummond or 'Killer' Keeling.
I also have memories of Mr Parker (history), Mr Yates (art) and - most strongly - Mr Tuffnell (science). Does anyone remember his first name?
I also recall Mr Harris (English, who with one phrase nearly destroyed my interest in writing) + Gussy Gausden + GInette Neuilly (a very noticable, young French teacher) + 'Froggy' Thomas who taught us by only using French with his Welsh accent.
Lastly, I recall Mr Paige who wrote the words for the god-awful school song and who was obsessed with Gilbert and Sullivan. During performances for parents, he used to make himself obvious by 'conducting' from the font and leaping around like a deranged and somewhat un-co-ordinated bat in the gown that all teachers had to wear at all times (except for Mr Stephens in PE who enjoyed whacking us on the backside with a heavyweight pump.

And don't forget Bulldog Drummond or 'Killer' Keeling.
I also have memories of Mr Parker (history), Mr Yates (art) and - most strongly - Mr Tuffnell (science). Does anyone remember his first name?
Don't know his first name but I would say it was G. Tuffnell

G Tuffnell.jpg

Some photos i took once when returning to the UK - before all of the expansion work that was undertaken

Attachments

• HGS_Hall4.jpg
    HGS_Hall4.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 4
  • HGS_StainG.jpg
    HGS_StainG.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 4
  • HGS_Uni.jpg
    HGS_Uni.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 5
  • HGS-buildingW.jpg
    HGS-buildingW.jpg