• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Last few off Roll 31 and a bit of a quiz night I have come to the end of my list for this roll and have some slides left so I will post them and leave the rest up to you. I also have a question when I post photographs I usually put a detailed description about the photo - is this of interest to people? or would you prefer me to shut up and post more pictures :laughing: - no offence will be taken just wondering if there was any value in my words?

Last edited:
No sooner had I posted the photos and moved on to the next roll that I discover that the three picture taken were practice to fill up the roll and they appear with a description at the start of Roll 32!!
Carolina was correct it is Kenyon Street Police Station ,
2nd picture I have as " Old Outdoor Sparkbrook 9/6/63
and the third is described as 55 St. Marks Street Ladywood 30/9/63
Apologies

Last few off Roll 31 and a bit of a quiz night I have come to the end of my list for this roll and have some slides left so I will post them and leave the rest up to you. I also have a question when I post photographs I usually put a detailed description about the photo - is this of interest to people? or would you prefer me to shut up and post more pictures :laughing: - no offence will be taken just wondering if there was any value in my words?
please continue with the extra words steve...makes it more interesting...just going to look at today photos

lyn

Not buildings labelled as "school kids believed to be St Pauls School", not sure if this has been shown elsewhere, and I am happy to remove the picture if it was felt necessary. I don't have a year and I am not sure what to make of the picture - looking at the footware on the front row we have sandals, shoes but then move on to boots and it looks like wellies - hard times

20230108121038_07.jpg

Here we have an Atkinsons Pub, or an ex Atkinsons pub as the name has been removed, The Junction, Bloomsbury Street 3rd January 1962, looking towards the block of flats on Nechells Parkway, not much more to add as its a rather close picture and there is no real background

20230108121322_01.jpg

Even I can see Spark Street but on the corner of where? A corner door and the windows look like pub, did it have a name?
View attachment 189130
No sooner had I posted the photos and moved on to the next roll that I discover that the three picture taken were practice to fill up the roll and they appear with a description at the start of Roll 32!!
Carolina was correct it is Kenyon Street Police Station ,
2nd picture I have as " Old Outdoor Sparkbrook 9/6/63
and the third is described as 55 St. Marks Street Ladywood 30/9/63
Apologies
A 1880s map is below. The red building corresponds in groundplan with the photo and it is no 26 Long St, which is listed as a beer retailer in all later directories. Newspaper articles list it as a provision merchant in the 1870s but a grocer and beer retailer in the 1880s.

Birm mail 14.4.1881.jpgMAP 1880s showing Spark St.jpg

this is described as an outdoor situated in Sherbourne Road and taken on the 1st April 1964, first we have the ghost sign between the two upstairs windows, and the little windows along the top of the shop front. Not sure how the adjoining building works as there seems to be on hell of a step inside once you go through the front door to the room on the right. There also seems to be a few bolts holding the building together.
20230108121322_03.jpg

This the Burton Stores in the Parade Sandpits, 7th June 1964, interesting brickwork in a herringbone pattern, tons of leaded glass and three doors in the middle? Love the little sash windows on the top floor and the little bays below it . The shop window of No.51 looks interesting too from what we can see of it.
20230108121322_04.jpg

This imposing building is The Phoenix on Park Street, nice symmetry of the building with the Atkinsons sign across the middle. Like the van on the right and note the building on stilts on the left which forms part of Moor Street station I believe and can be seen of one of my old pictures.
20230108121322_09.jpg

Now this one is local to where I was born as opposed to my local, and was taken a week before I was born !!
This is the Old Horns on the Queslett Road, Great Barr, I was doing a compare / contrast on Street view and the is a passing resemblance as it has been extended both ends and the chimneys have all changed as well as a massive change of the roads - imagine a zebra crossing these days. Note the scales in the entrance, the fancy chimneys and the leading on the chimneys.
20230108121322_10.jpg

Can I ask a favour for this one please? - can we pin point his building on a plan, this is Chester Road Sutton Coldfield - I know it was not part of Birmingham at this date - Atkinsons Off license 28th August 1964, on a slope judging by the step down for the building next door and on the other side is a large ESSO sign, you can just make out a Senior Service sign on the fence and among the Privet hedge. You can just make out a line of trees in the background
20230108121322_11.jpg

another selection of brewery history, 187 Francis Street on the 3rd November 1963, tiny little building with a window in the eaves. Downpipe a little worse for wear and a house next door, note how close the rear properties are

View attachment 189415
In the 1963 Kellys this beer retailer was run by Mrs. Elizabeth Mullis. It must have been just before it closed, as the 1964 edition shows it nad other nearby properties have gone

Our next selection are from Sheet A66 a few tours and a few random shot , first selection are down as a day out at Holliday Street depot 1st April 1992.I cannot put much of a commentary to them, but I will add anything I feel is useful.
View attachment 179200
That looks like the council depot, It was there in the early 1950,s when I lived in Holliday St. The street cleaners were based there with their horse and carts as well as other departments. I used go and watch the men washing the horses when they were finished for the day. I remember Roy Rogers horse 'Trigger' was stabled there when they appeared in brum, I think it was at the Bingley Hall. There was a plaque above the stable door with the name Trigger inscribed on it.

It doesn't look underground so maybe just small rooms in an old factory?
A lot of that type of air raid shelter were built above ground close to public areas and up the yards of the back to back,s.
They were used for years after the war as storage for anyone who needed it, or great play areas for us kids.

Back