• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

Next we have rather a wide ranging title so hopefully you can work out what is where . Title says, Some old building standing in Ashford Street St. Stephen Street, Bracebridge Street Aston Brook Street and Elkington Street taken on the 23rd July 1995
Easy Start Ashford Street.
20230123202348_01.jpg

..this wall with the front of the industrial building, goods entrance and building next door. The large building at the end of the road is rather distinctive so I am sure someone will recognise it.
Information Provided by Aston Lad #368
Post 364, Is a photo of St Stephens Street looking down toward Elkington Street, with the railings on the right which was the fencing of Blew Street Park, the factory is or was Millers which was on the corners of Phillips Street and Elkington Street, the factory or warehouse in the far distant is the Telsen building on Thomas Street, I also think you can just make out the roof of the old Norton motorbike factory in Bracebridge Street,

20230123202348_04.jpg

Last edited:
A closer look further down Ashford Street shows that some of the building have caught fire, also with broken windows. You can just make out the sign for Precision Thread rolling, a much stronger thread as no metal is removed, the thread been rolled into the metal, as opposed to cut as per taps and dies.
20230123202348_09.jpg

Unfortunately, I am not sure where this large industrial building is as I have not seen it in the background of other photos. This is the last of Roll 127, I did notice that they continue of roll 128 which I have not tidied yet - so I will pop off to tidy this roll and return with it .

20230123202348_10.jpg

Last edited:
Post 364, Is a photo of St Stephens Street looking down toward Elkington Street, with the railings on the right which was the fencing of Blew Street Park, the factory is or was Millers which was on the corners of Phillips Street and Elkington Street, the factory or warehouse in the far distant is the Telsen building on Thomas Street, I also think you can just make out the roof of the old Norton motorbike factory in Bracebridge Street,

Information added to post #364 many thanks

Well having checked out roll 128 it seems I have over promised and there are only a few images - so:
Title says, Some old building standing in Ashford Street St. Stephen Street, Bracebridge Street Aston Brook Street and Elkington Street taken on the 23rd July 1995.
First one

20230123203502_01.jpg

Another set of buildings on their last legs, building on the left has the shadow of a building on its end wall , many broken windows and the look of fire damage from another window(?), again location unknown apart from the broad description given earlier.
See Aston Lads comment:
20230123203502_04.jpg

Last edited:
We will now move on to the rest of Roll 128 but with only one more image tonight. The pictures are all taken in the 1960's and seem to be more photos of photos and may have been seen by some of you before.
First picture is Icknield Street / Hingeston Street Aston and is the Vulcano Cafe bar taken in 1963.
Interesting in that while it says it is a cafe did it used to be a bar because of the corner advertising?

20230123203502_06.jpg

Post 372, This view is from the New Town Row end of Bracebridge Street and Aston Brook Street, you can see Inkerman House or Tower, and Reynolds House on the right of the two blocks of flats in the distance, I think but cannot be certain that the building on the right is the rear of T Savakers the front was in Phillips Street,

Post 373, I do believe that this is Aston Brook Street looking towards Inkerman House/ Tower, With the rear of the Norton Motors Cycles on the left, G H Edwards sewing factory I think is on the right of the photo,

..this wall with the front of the industrial building, goods entrance and building next door. The large building at the end of the road is rather distinctive so I am sure someone will recognise it.
Information Provided by Aston Lad #368

View attachment 179850
My great grandad joe skelding worked in a factory on bracebridge street. Would love some information on what bracebridge street was like back then could anyone point me in right direction on here.

hi michael and welcome..there are plenty of old black and white photos of bracebridge st on the bracebridge street thread which i think you have already posted on it is always best to read a thread from post 1...hope this helps

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Back to roll 128, hard to keep track of these as there are pictures with no description, ( faded horse etc), I assume I am back in the right direction now. This is the Community Centre Monument Road Ladywood, 1965. It does say 3/4 but not sure if it is 3rd April or 3/4 shot?!

20230123203502_08.jpg

This next picture is listed as Bracebridge Street and Allesley ... I have no other information and note though the A45 which puts it Coventry Road direction (?). Picture was taken in 1960 note all the cigarette signs, the Police call post ( not quite a tardis) and the lorry on the left. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

20230123203502_12.jpg

It was between Ligard st and Goodrick St. Bloomsbury st is not far away. I am not certain as to this, but think the correct name is Bloomsbury School, not Bloomsbury St school, Please correct me if I am wrong

This next picture is listed as Bracebridge Street and Allesley ... I have no other information and note though the A45 which puts it Coventry Road direction (?). Picture was taken in 1960 note all the cigarette signs, the Police call post ( not quite a tardis) and the lorry on the left. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

View attachment 180105
This is actually 187A Aston Road, Aston where Allesley St/Bracebridge st meet on Aston Road junction
Mrs M. Darby Newsagent

187 aston road.jpg187-aston-road-mapA.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 180105
Bracebridge Street and Allesley Street, are in Aston

Back