• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where is it, Birmingham #9

My uncle, who took the pictures, lost his right arm during the campaign in N Africa, he was in the Irish Fusiliers, although born in Aston. Would the band be associated?

Pedro,

Certainly not easy when shutters are invariably on the right hand side of the camera, even if situated on the top rather than the front as is now often the case. Well done, your uncle.

Maurice :cool:

Pedro,

Yes, I remember the Golden Hind replica from the early 60s, but I gather that there has been at least one more since then.
Memories of a somewhat disastrous holiday with my late brother-in-law and his wife, Their tastes were the exact opposite of my wife and I and in my experience those sort of family holidays later in life rarely work out.

No it is the same Golden Hind, built upwards from a barge (Thames I believe). It has had a couple of fires, which I attended and has been superficially changed over the years. It has only moved one - it went down the coast to Dartmouth where it sank alongside the river wall. Just the masts showing above the water line.
However there is another sea worthy Golden Hinde (note the 'e') which is at Southwark, London.
I think that ship was the one I saw one day - quote by chance - sail to the entrance of the inner harbour at Brixham, where the replica vessel lies, and fired a cannon then set sail back into Torbay (area of water named long before the place name).
I guess the cannon shot was a one-upmanship statement by the Golden Hinde which, I gather is a faithful replica and seaworthy. There have been many changes since the 1960's in Brixham, bit most places in the photos are quite recogniseable.

Thanks for the history, Alan, it's been a long time since I was down that way.

At the moment the only "Civic" I can find on a corner is on the corner of Edmund Street and Easy Row. It is in the 1960 phone book and on the 1955 map but had gone by mid 1960s. Problem is I can't remember the area well enough to know. Could the "older" building be the building marked on the map as University of Birmingham? So photo taken looking down Edmund Street as the parade turned onto Easy Row?
Just a suggestion.
1601988912236.png

that looks like a civic television shop so if anyone can recall where it was in maybe the city centre that would give us that photos location...

lyn

That Civic shop was where I got my first record player from my mother had it on HP . That was a right game too , my Mother and Father being separated , women were not normally granted HP or somesuch it required a male signature ,I eventually got it after a wait of two to three months .

So going by Mike’s ‘Civic’ list the parade must have at one point in its progress moved past 7/8 Easy Row. So were all 3 photos taken on Easy Row ? Think it would be worth finding out what the white, modern building was - must have only just been built in 1963 Viv.

Last edited:
All three photos are the same location - see matching dots. I think the location is the junction of Easy Row with Edmund Street. And I think the white, modern building is Trafalgar House (built 1961). So the views are of the parade making its way along Easy Row (ie the Hall of Memory would be behind the photographer). Attaching a map
(1890 - before the Hall of Memory was built) which Mikejee posted on the Paradise Street thread. I’ve marked the possible spot where I think Civic was. I think Paradise Street was between the two lampposts on the left in the middle image. This is difficult to visualise as so much has disappeared since the photos were taken - a period of massive change to this part of the city, just before the Inner Ring Road was built. Viv

8B7A1815-E79F-4D6C-8E12-B9F5E4B5F567.jpeg

B13BEAD0-E138-4DD0-AD1C-2D418FF0AD31.jpeg

Last edited:
If I’m correct this is roughly where the photos were taken, although even since this Streetview, the area has changed. All to the left has again been redeveloped. Trafalgar House is marked with a red dot. Viv.

3ECDA532-9D4C-4C56-8D8C-A55785719D9F.jpeg

think you are spot on viv....what a lot of changes since that photo was taken...no wonder they say .."will birmingham ever be finished"

lyn

In the 1930s the Civic building was the Caledonian insurance company. Comparing one of the photos with a 1930s image the building features match. The 1930s image is looking down Edmund Street. Even the lamppost outside the Civic on the Edmund Street side matches. Viv.

C70C310D-2AE1-4A83-8B62-D3F444B36E2C.jpeg

Back